Oil cans

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
S 854

Oil cans

Post by S 854 »

Just got back from Gander Mountain with my first Mosin... the young-un behind the counter disappeared into the back room and came back with several miscellaneous bits and pieces... most of which I'm still scratchin' my head over...

Anyway, he set two oil cans on the counter... one is the typical 'round' can with the "V-twin" style caps... the other can is square with 'parallel twin' type caps (sorry for the motorcycle reference, that's just where I come from... :wink: )

What's with the square can? Haven't been able to find any reference to this on the internet...

And, as an aside, what originally went into the cans... oil and cleaner? oil and oil?
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
1932 Mosin 91/30
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Oil cans

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There are many different types of oil cans used by the commies, some differ in markings others in style. The square one is just another style, it was used in Poland, probably a few other East block countries as well, and by the Chinese. Oil, and bore solvent went in them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tiberium51

Post by tiberium51 »

The mosin I just bought I got from gander too, but mine only came with the bayonet. I asked one of the employees if they had the tool kits with them and he went into the back room to check and he said that they did not. Did he just not look hard or do they sometimes not come with the oil cans and tool pouches?

1942 - Izhevsk Red Letter /25\ 91/30 РВ4363 all matching including bayonet (my baby)
1940 - Izhevsk 91/30 (bubba got ahold of it, waiting to be rebuilt)
[] Front Sight
[x] Rear Sight
[] Stock
finloq

Post by finloq »

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

the two i bought from gander only came with bayonet unfortunatly but thats better than nothing like the ones at cabelas. I liek getting all the goods when i buy them