M91 Westinghouse aka Forget whatever I said

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M91 Westinghouse aka Forget whatever I said

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :pointup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Sometimes it seems like I learn something NEW every day. :D Ok, that was bad, I admit it.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Homer2 wrote:I guess the stock is correct. That's a new one for me. Very unusual find and great rifle. Don't change a thing.
Well that's great to know. Luckier than even I suspected, just thinking I got a rifle which would be usually unaffordable!

Uh no lol not making a mistake twice :brolleyes:

Nothing is going to be touched on this one.
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

racerguy00 wrote:Sometimes it seems like I learn something NEW every day. :D Ok, that was bad, I admit it.

:roll: :no: :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:roll: :roll:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Hi Zhuk, nice rifle.

I kept thinking that your rifle might be in a Remington stock because of the dated cartouche but apparently that is not the case, I learned a little something too.

Thanks for posting and congrats on your latest aquisition. :thumbsup:

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/NEWStock_small.jpg

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm
mbogo3

Post by mbogo3 »

The evil/ e-bay has 91 barrel bands at the moment.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Yours is a really, really nice rifle zhuk, I like that one alot :Drool1:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Cwcoolcow

Post by Cwcoolcow »

mbogo3 wrote:The evil/ e-bay has 91 barrel bands at the moment.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yesterday there were two sellers one at $45 + $5 shipping and one at $56.95 + $8.99 shipping. Half the price of a 91/30 ;-)
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Cwcoolcow wrote:
mbogo3 wrote:The evil/ e-bay has 91 barrel bands at the moment.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yesterday there were two sellers one at $45 + $5 shipping and one at $56.95 + $8.99 shipping. Half the price of a 91/30 ;-)

Yep, I saw that one. Or 1/10th, depending on your location lol

If it shoots OK with the bands a lil loose, I'll leave it as is :) But handy to know they are around.
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

bb91 wrote:Hi Zhuk, nice rifle.

I kept thinking that your rifle might be in a Remington stock because of the dated cartouche but apparently that is not the case, I learned a little something too.

Thanks for posting and congrats on your latest aquisition. :thumbsup:

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/NEWStock_small.jpg

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

Gotta love teaching people stuff when you don't even realise you are doing it :lol:

Thanks bb91 :biggrin: Yeah I saw those 7.62 net links as well, which sparked off the whole "uncommon"?? :? question.

So from what's been said here, it must be an early-production NEW stock to have been dated?
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

That is absolutely beautiful Zhuk! :Drool1: :Drool1: 8-) Congrats on the incredible pickup! :thumbsup:
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Titanium Hammer wrote:That is absolutely beautiful Zhuk! :Drool1: :Drool1: 8-) Congrats on the incredible pickup! :thumbsup:

Thanks TH :)

Have had it proppped up against a wall for appreciation-purposes for a few days now lol

Definately worth it for roughly 500 bucks. Really never thought I would even see an 1891 model, let alone possess one! M91/30s are pretty thin on the ground down here, and there would be few owners of the older variety.

Still can't get over how well it feeds/extracts :thumbsup: no insult meant to all my other Mosins, but DAMN it is sweet in that regard lol
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Homer2 wrote:Leave the band's as they are. Those parts belong with that rifle, don't separate them.

The stock catouche indicates the stock is from a Tula rifle. Westinghouse had the cartilage on the left and says 'English Contract'.

Really great Civil Guard rifle. Made in the Meriden, CT plant.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Re the Meriden info above I came across this page on the history of the Meriden Fire Arms Company

The British, through their American financial agents, arranged a contract with Remington Arms for over a million Mosin Nagant rifles of the latest Russian pattern and also with New England Westinghouse for the production of 900,000 M1891 on behalf of the Imperial Government.

To fill this order New England Westinghouse needed to increase its manufacturing capacity. In 1916 the Meriden Fire Arms Company manufacturing facility was sold to New England Westinghouse. Meriden Fire Arms continued to produce some firearms in another facility on Center Street in Meriden until 1918 when Sears announced that the Meriden Fire Arms Company would discontinue the manufacture of sporting guns.

http://www.meridenfirearms.com/history.html

Would I be right in thinking that if 'in 1916 the Meriden Fire Arms Company manufacturing facility was sold to New England Westinghouse" then that could confirm this stock is indeed a very early-produced one?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Approximately 1/3 of the original contract, by number. Original contract was for 1,500,000 but not sure how many they actualy made. Some of these guys know though. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
finloq

Post by finloq »

Damn beautiful.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
TheSovietSamurai

Post by TheSovietSamurai »

Just realized it was you that started this thread Zhuk, damn nice find :thumbsup:
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

TheSovietSamurai wrote:Just realized it was you that started this thread Zhuk, damn nice find :thumbsup:

Hey thanks Samurai

You guessed right where I obtained it from too lol

I agree the Russian M91's were a bit steep! :shock:

So this was my only opportunity - even though I couldn't really afford it lol

Still, a pretty fitting finale, I thought :thumbsup:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Finale shminale. Give it up. You aren't done yet.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

millman wrote:Finale shminale. Give it up. You aren't done yet.
:lol:

Hehe.

Wondering how long that would take, millman!

You beat my estimations about about an hour or so lol