M91 Westinghouse aka Forget whatever I said

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zhuk

M91 Westinghouse aka Forget whatever I said

Post by zhuk »

Hey guys :biggrin:

Back (seemingly) from the dead, I've been under the scourge of (several) Winter viruses in the past couple of months, and only just got out from under the latest one. Good to be at least semi back on deck here.

I have a minor confession however...

Did I ever breathe the words 'last Mosin' here before? Well I'm not sure, maybe I have a damn lying imposter stalking me lol

But yes :brolleyes: I do have a new Mosin. About the only example of the long sought-after M91 that I ever thought I would find which was vaguely affordable. Been through a bit in its long life. Considering the only two Russian examples I located - much as i drooled - were going for 1000 bucks each, after interstate postage :shock:

Bolt is force matched, no serial no on the mag floorplate, barrel and buttplate match. Also what seems like a stupid number of bolt stampings lol

Appears to have got here via Finland at some point also, plus Civil Guard markings are present.

So, a roughie for sure. Bits knocked off, bits broken (by someone who had no idea about the reverse-screw barrel band :roll: lol)

Anyway, nuff said. Pics

zhuk

Re: M91 Westinghouse aka Forget whatever I said

Post by zhuk »

Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

very nice glad you got another keep um coming :thumbsup: :Drool1:
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Wow, that is nice! :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Looks great :)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

OH HELL YA. What a killer steal if it was less then the others. It is a finnish AMERICAN (russian). Looks like it Is in its original stock and way nice bluing. Way to go, you will love the way these shoot. You can order the barrel bands if you can find them. They are around sometimes. Nice one :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Love the civil guard too. Has a lot going for it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

There is no cure for "Mosinitis" at least you got a good one. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Ironnewt on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

who is trying to cure mosinitis?? the best sickness
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

OK, now diagnostics: aka the 'don't blame me it was like that when I got here' barrel-band issue

In this pic the handguard can be seen 'bowing' out slightly to the left, I'm not sure if it is due to the fact that someone stripped the rear band threads (obvoiously meaning the rear band can be moved around a little)

The handguard can also move up and down the barrel when gripped, moving the rear band at the same time (only makes sense I think)

Anyone understand what the hell I am trying to explain? :biggrin:

Closer

rear band, loose(ish)

front band, tight

I believe that as the bands have captive screws the whole thing must be replaced in the case of threads being stripped.

Have to say though that trying out the action with snap caps it is the best-feeding Mosin I have ever held...not like the Russian productions at all. And the trigger has very little creep and is crisp.

I hesitate to guess that shooting it with the rear band loose so that the handguard could move under recoil might not be the best idea...also does anyone have an opinion on whether the 'bow' in the handguard is cause by the orientation it was placed in when the bands were screwed on? I can't tell how they fasten exactly without being able to remove them. Hard to see how the wood could have 'bent' so maybe thought it was placement caused.

You can also prise the handguard apart on that left side enough to see the barrel minimally.

Still glad I have it! since there was realistically bugger-all chance of affording a grand for one rifle. And here I was thinking I'd never see one in the hand.

Any theories welcome :)
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

desdem12 wrote:OH HELL YA. What a killer steal if it was less then the others. It is a finnish AMERICAN (russian). Looks like it Is in its original stock and way nice bluing. Way to go, you will love the way these shoot. You can order the barrel bands if you can find them. They are around sometimes. Nice one :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

Hehe thanks for all the comments guys!

Yeah it was a bit less than half the Russkies were going for - so, I thought hell I'll probably never see another. Right? :biggrin:
Strike while the iron is hot/before the Govt bring in something else retarded re our laws :brolleyes:

I'll bet it shoots like a dream desdem, if dry firing is anything to go by :thumbsup:

Also found some ebay replacement bands, alas they are fully (dark)blued but better than nothing.

Oh yeah, had to knock out the floor in my safe's overhead ammo compartment so I could get it in LOL
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

desdem12 wrote:Love the civil guard too. Has a lot going for it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was wondering when waiting for it to turn up whether it would have Finnish connections lol

The Civil Guard element is a bonus :)

Also according to 7.62x54r.net, Westinghouse stock cartouches with dates aren't particularly common. Pretty sure this one reads '1916'
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

I believe the direct quote we should be ignoring is:

zhuk wrote:Hey guys. Been pretty sick the last few days so haven't frequented the forum. However not too sick to drag myself down to the gunshop in order to pick up my LAST Mosin! Very likely last firearm in total also, hence the (relatively) breakneck speed at which I have been submitting Permits to Acquire lately :lol:

No more $ (this one cost $750), no more safe space (and no more room to install a 3rd safe in any case)

Also, public warning and/or service announcement: Since this is my last Mosin purchase there will be a "fair few" pics..

LOL just so we are all in the same page.. I LOVE your most current find though, it's just fantastic !!! Very, very, very nice find !!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good to hear you are done with the :vomit3: being sick is never fun. Great to hear that you bent the rule and got yourself a M1891 while you still can. Very nice Westinghouse Finn, the handguard never was a very good design and they tend to bow and crack, the loosness it probably the band not being tight. Busted band screws are also a very common problem because new owners are unaware of the reverse thread and they snap the screws off.
So, did you get a new safe, or find a way to fit this into the old one ? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mbogo3

Post by mbogo3 »

Looks like a Ishy stamped bolt. Liberty Tree gun parts has barrel bands I believe? American made Mosins should have a walnut stock as well.............nice gun............Harold
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Liberty tree sometimes has them, you have to call.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sarco seems to be selling the bands for the 91/30 rifle, not the M91. M91 bands are both hard to find, and much more expensive than 91/30. This rifle is using the type 2 bands.
Theodore Roosevelt
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Gsragtop wrote:I believe the direct quote we should be ignoring is:

zhuk wrote:Hey guys. Been pretty sick the last few days so haven't frequented the forum. However not too sick to drag myself down to the gunshop in order to pick up my LAST Mosin! Very likely last firearm in total also, hence the (relatively) breakneck speed at which I have been submitting Permits to Acquire lately :lol:

No more $ (this one cost $750), no more safe space (and no more room to install a 3rd safe in any case)

Also, public warning and/or service announcement: Since this is my last Mosin purchase there will be a "fair few" pics..

LOL just so we are all in the same page.. I LOVE your most current find though, it's just fantastic !!! Very, very, very nice find !!

Hey Gsragtop, I'm indebted to you for trawling back and finding the precise quote for maximum exposure :lol:

Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions, guys

I was lucky to get it no doubt about it! :biggrin:

And yes I did get a 3rd safe :redfaced: which I had to take a large mallet to lol

Liberty Tree seem to be out of bands atm (at least according to their site) but I found an ebay seller with the type 2 version. In Finland. Makes sense I guess lol
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :pointup:
Theodore Roosevelt