Bayonett and the gun range

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
zedteamk2

Bayonett and the gun range

Post by zedteamk2 »

I usually shoot on private land so this hasn’t been an issue.
But when you go to a gun range with your SKS, do you remove the bayonet?
I certainly won’t be walking around with it in the open position....but is folded closed ok? Is it generally just up to whatever the gun range prefers?
When I picked it up from the FFL, they stated they had to remove the bayonet before it left the store.
Does removing the bayonet cause any concerns with it being a c&r ? ( Since it might be considered modifying it? ).

I just don’t want to accidently do something illegal :)
Lotema

Re: Bayonett and the gun range

Post by Lotema »

Can't talk about the legality, but I asked my RSO's about whether it was ok to extend my bayonet on my M44 and they said absolutely. They also asked whether I wanted to do a bayonet charge after the all-clear was signaled, but I declined that option :lol:

Best bet would be to just ask your RSO's about the club policies.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

This is a funny question, why would anyone be concerned about a bayonet on a gun. For God sakes you have a gun, what additional danger would a bayonet cause. Maybe you could poke your eye out. I recently purchase 2 Mosin 91/30 from Gander Mountain, they had to ship the bayonet to my house, 3 mile away. Bought one from Dunhams, walked out the door with it.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Not sure what state your in, I don't think anyone would even notice.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

OMG! You have a bayonet! :o

LOL, ask the RSO, just to make sure it is OK. I don't see why it would be a problem.
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I'm in Texas. Heck, it's probably legal to grab it by the sling and take a stroll :)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I can't see why shooting a rifle in it's original condition would be a problem. Like it was said earlier, "It's a firearm, what difference would a bayonet make?".
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

My range/club doesn't care. I have two SKS Chinese and both have spike bayonets. I shoot with the bayonets retracted. However, my Izhevsk M44 will simply not shoot a decent group with the bayonet retracted, so I shoot on the range with the bayonet extended and locked.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

tjtM38 wrote:My range/club doesn't care. I have two SKS Chinese and both have spike bayonets. I shoot with the bayonets retracted. However, my Izhevsk M44 will simply not shoot a decent group with the bayonet retracted, so I shoot on the range with the bayonet extended and locked.
I just can't see this ending well. Someone is going to lose an eye. :lol:
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

I had my Mauser at the range today. -- bayonet installed. :)
mosin430

Post by mosin430 »

My m44 i usually shoot with the bayo extended i get decent groups when its not but they tighten uo even more when i extend the bayo

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tcmosin wrote:This is a funny question, why would anyone be concerned about a bayonet on a gun. For God sakes you have a gun, what additional danger would a bayonet cause. Maybe you could poke your eye out. I recently purchase 2 Mosin 91/30 from Gander Mountain, they had to ship the bayonet to my house, 3 mile away. Bought one from Dunhams, walked out the door with it.
The firearm itself is only dangerous when loaded and being fired, the bayonet can be dangerous just sitting there, it can cut and stab at and time. Good example, last range trip I decided to experiment with shooting a refurb 91/30 I had never fired before and do it with a bayonet mounted. At one point a friend of mine almost ripped his own ball's off when he walked right up on the rifle as it was extended off the end of the shooting bench during a cooling period, or at least the bayonet stuck out over it. After that we put the bayonet away, and this was even after I warned them to watch out for the sticker.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

I shoot with the bayonet on with my 91/30. I get lots of attention from the guys with AR's, but it makes it alot more accurate.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

I have never had a problem or heard of anyone having a problem with a bayonet but if you're not sure just ask the RSO.
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zaitsev44 wrote:I shoot with the bayonet on with my 91/30. I get lots of attention from the guys with AR's, but it makes it alot more accurate.
Elby sight tool, use it to adjust the windage, then no need for bayonets.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

Tcmosin wrote:This is a funny question, why would anyone be concerned about a bayonet on a gun. For God sakes you have a gun, what additional danger would a bayonet cause. Maybe you could poke your eye out. I recently purchase 2 Mosin 91/30 from Gander Mountain, they had to ship the bayonet to my house, 3 mile away. Bought one from Dunhams, walked out the door with it.
thats so crazy that they would mail them every mosin ive bought that had mosin came home with it including both at gander
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

Dan4good, I was told that this was some kind of gun law and Dunhams was braking the law by allowing me to have the bayonet with the gun when I left the store. Later another gun counter person at Gander Mountain said he thought it was some kind of store policy. Either way the 2 guns I bought from G.M. the bayonets showed up a few days later.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All of my refurb 91/30's were delivered with the bayonet in the box with all the other crap.
Theodore Roosevelt
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Lotema wrote:…They also asked whether I wanted to do a bayonet charge after the all-clear was signaled, but I declined that option :lol:
I wanna' shoot at your range!!
:chuckles:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It would depend on who was tied up to the target stand :)
Theodore Roosevelt