Mosin prices leveling out?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
m1guy

Mosin prices leveling out?

Post by m1guy »

New to the forum, so maybe a dumb question... but

My story of contracting Mosinitis is like many others.

I had heard the name, but knew very little about them. Then a friend who had one came by one day. I researched them a little out of curiosity and soon I was thinking, "Man, you can buy one for $79.99! I need one!"

So along came a C&R license, and I bought my 1 Mosin, for a plinker, never thinking I'd want more.

Then, "Hey, I need a Tula."
"Hey, I need a hex receiver."
...You get the idea.

I even decided to get one of the Classic 5 packs, just to see what I would get. I wasn't disappointed with my luck of the draw on it.

But I wonder; I know I bought my first one for $80 a couple of years ago. They crept up, but took a big jump with the events of last year. I have even toyed with the idea of getting another 5 pack, because they'll never be cheaper. (I guess its more of an accumulation than a collection.)

But is that really true? Are they really drying up, or will prices (like ammo) level off and drop a little? I do hate buy 5 of something and then kick myself a year later when they are $20 less?

Any ideas?
Dan4good

Re: Mosin prices leveling out?

Post by Dan4good »

idk where you are but cabelas has them for 119
milmike

Post by milmike »

At what CABELAS Rogers?
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

damn it i meant fleet farm but cabelas and gander both price match fleet farm for me anyways
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

Wow, that does seem like less than they have been in a few months. Just has me wondering if they'll be going for $99 again in a while, now that all the panic has subsided a lot.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

m1guy wrote:Wow, that does seem like less than they have been in a few months. Just has me wondering if they'll be going for $99 again in a while, now that all the panic has subsided a lot.
thatd be great, aim did just have a small quantity they sold at that price was all sold out in like 2 days
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

You have two types of buyers now. Ones stocking up since they are cheap. And the new gun owner for SHTF since they are cheap. To me that spells lower quantities and higher prices down the road. But on the secondary markets some deals still to be had.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
RugerFan

Post by RugerFan »

We have a new Woodbury Outfitters store opening south of Columbus, Ohio this weekend and they are advertising that
they have 100 M44 (or Chinese 53) for $129. I paid $139 for mine back in February from a LGS. If they ever get back to
being under $100 I'd probably pick up another one...just for a back up.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

RugerFan wrote:We have a new Woodbury Outfitters store opening south of Columbus, Ohio this weekend and they are advertising that
they have 100 M44 (or Chinese 53) for $129. I paid $139 for mine back in February from a LGS. If they ever get back to
a backup haha :chuckles:
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

RugerFan wrote:We have a new Woodbury Outfitters store opening south of Columbus, Ohio this weekend and they are advertising that

Yahooo. That is my back yard. I'll have to check them out.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

m1guy wrote:Wow, that does seem like less than they have been in a few months. Just has me wondering if they'll be going for $99 again in a while, now that all the panic has subsided a lot.
We are seeing another surge of rifles come in right now but expect it to be short lived. These are Military Surplus rifles & there is not an infinite supply of them. No more are the Springfield 1903, Enfield variations, cheap Mausers, Carcano's & such littering Hardware stores & gunshops everywhere for $30 each. Those were the days of my childhood & now all we are seeing is a small amount of the last vestiges trickle in with these old Ruskie guns. Prices are & will continue to rise, there is no leveling out & soon they will be gone. In a few short years a Mosin will only be available on the secondary market, Gunbroker & an occasional one at your LGS. Prices? A beat refurb for $250 will be considered a good deal. No; If you want some more additions to the collection make it happen right now.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

I agree the $80 or even $100 days are gone and will never return. Around here the new normal is $150-160 and if your lucky $125. My goal for this year was 10 mosins and with prices going up that is getting harder. I check the classified a few times a week hoping for a deal but they are not around. There are a few guys selling type 53 for $200 in my area buy that isn't a great deal if you have a C&R.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

M1guy, were you around back in the day when we were buying M1's both carbine and rifle for $200? 1991-1993? If so then you know what eventually happens to milsurp plenty. These are antiques, no more are being made, and if Molot does start production of new ones they will not be $99, or antique. Get them while you can, even at $80 you were already paying more than I did when I was buying refurb 91/30's in 2005-2008 . The clock is ticking on both low price and availability.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Good luck with the price dropping. I would love to see it though :thumbsup: :welcome2: :dance: :welcome2:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Siam

Post by Siam »