Headed to the range. First shoot

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
qtrhoss

Headed to the range. First shoot

Post by qtrhoss »

Heading out to shoot my 1925 Mosin Dragoon later this morning. In studying the 7.62x54r.net web sight, and the pages pertaining to sights. I have come to the realization, that there is no hard and fast rule to the variations, and markings of these rifles.
I wanted to study up a bit on the sights, so I was ready for my range day with my Mosin, when I discovered that according to 7.62x54r.net, that my rear sight is a combination of the "Finish M27" sight and the "Finish M28" sight. The notch is "V" like M27, but NOT a screwed in place add on. There are 6 notches for adjustment, ala "M27", but the markings are "M28" but with an extra, upside down, (compared to the rest of the notch markings) "3" at the first (rear most) notch. Also, my front sight is one of the dozen or so variations of the Finish M91 front sight. being a "No base, curved top, notched rear".

I really don't have any questions here on how to use, or adjust the sights, I just found it interesting that the more I study my Mosin, the more I find that varies from what I read about them.

Give me a few hours, and I will report on my first ever Mosin range day. :D
Ironnewt

Re: Headed to the range. First shoot

Post by Ironnewt »

:attn: There is always the famous, easy to use and extremely well made "Elby Sight Tool" :attn:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

Ironnewt wrote::attn: There is always the famous, easy to use and extremely well made "Elby Sight Tool" :attn:
We shall see if I need one.......
qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

qtrhoss wrote:
Ironnewt wrote::attn: There is always the famous, easy to use and extremely well made "Elby Sight Tool" :attn:
and of course... Just my luck..... It started Raining :cry:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You will need one. One rifle is never enough. What if a few friends want to join you? You will need to outfit them with a couple of rifles, they will need to be sighted in. :thumbsup: :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Have we seen any pictures of your rifles?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Celt

Post by Celt »

:ani-pop: :ani-pop:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

millman wrote:Have we seen any pictures of your rifles?
Put some in the new guys post area last week
qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

qtrhoss wrote:
Ok, yep need one. will order one. asap. 6 to 6.5 In. right at 100 yards.
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

And that's why I have both the M38/M44 and the beefier 91/30 tools since I've got only 22 of the latter. Small in comparison to JYD's "HOARD"! :angry4:

The stars must have been in alignment when he elected to start collecting, Big Time :devil2:
Celt

Post by Celt »

They work perfectly btw.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

Celt wrote:They work perfectly btw.
Just ordered one.
qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

All in all I'm pretty pleased with my Mosin. My time on the range today went well. the Mosin was dead on, in elevation. The windage being 6 inches right is easily correctable. Rather than going after it with a hammer and punch, I will just wait for the sight tool. Having not done a lot of open sight rifle shooting in a number of years, I;m even ok with a 4 - 5 inch group. I'm thinking with a little practice I can tighten the group up.
On another range day note, My youngest son is nothing short of amazing with a .22. Open sights, optics, rifle, pistol, and even a bow. It just doesn't matter. My 8 year old can shoot. If you can't tell, I'm one proud dad. ;mywink;
Teach them young and teach them right. :soapbox:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Good ole' Kentucky windage will solve that 6" problem. Most Mosins are 12" to 18" off without a bayonet on.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Because the commie ammo plants in the various countries all had their own idea of what the ammo specs were you will find that sapping ammo from Russian, to Czech, or some other type will tend to change the groups a bit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Because the commie ammo plants in the various countries all had their own idea of what the ammo specs were you will find that sapping ammo from Russian, to Czech, or some other type will tend to change the groups a bit.
Oh so true! The price seems to dictate the quality of the ammo these days quite a bit. The new stuff and not surplus seems to follow that pattern too. Really refreshing to hear someone say I need more time to tighen up the groups! Good shooting and enjoyment in the future! Bill :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Then you get old and the groups open up again :) That should be swapping ammo types, can't type.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

zeebill wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Because the commie ammo plants in the various countries all had their own idea of what the ammo specs were you will find that sapping ammo from Russian, to Czech, or some other type will tend to change the groups a bit.
Oh so true! The price seems to dictate the quality of the ammo these days quite a bit. The new stuff and not surplus seems to follow that pattern too. Really refreshing to hear someone say I need more time to tighen up the groups! Good shooting and enjoyment in the future! Bill :wink:
I was thinking about that late last night.... I probably should shoot a few of the soft point hunting rounds I bought, before getting too crazy with the sight tool.
In my experience though, I have found that group size, and point of impact will vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer, but generally speaking, point of impact will vary in elevation. Not too much in windage.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Albanian ammo tended to have the greatest variation from what I recall, but still it was only a couple of inches, not feet :)
Theodore Roosevelt