Finn capture 1924 Tula M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
qz2026

Re: Finn capture 1924 Tula M91

Post by qz2026 »

Wow, very nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and a 5-line Tula to boot!!! Beautiful condition and a shooter. I guess I'm not the only one who feels that some of these rifles haven't been fired since refurb. I swear, most of what I have appeared to be in the original grease - not the CAI or PW stuff but local purchases or purchases from collectors. I love those Finn refurb stocks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

This does belong there and I vote yes :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

martin08 wrote:Though more common at the Izhevsk Arsenal in the 1920's, one often finds much older or undated receivers from that era.

A '24 Tula receiver tang stamp is quite a sight. The whole gun is quite a sight. Congrats!
I've found Tula M91s much more common than post war Izhevsk M91s. Although sources say Izhevsk made them up to 1926, latest one I've got or had a chance to buy is 1919. I think a member here or on Gunboards has a 1920 or later Izhevsk M91 rifle, they are much, much more rare than people think. I've argued before that a 1920s Izhevsk M91 is more rare than a 1919Tula big hammer.

1926 Tulas are out there, but very uncommon. Serious M91 collectors have to have a post war example and that is a nice one.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

racerguy00 wrote:I've submitted this rifle to the mosin showcase, if the members think it's a worthy addition I'd love to see it there.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Racer, this is definitely worthy if you ask me. This rifle just couldn't get much better. While it's true that I love the rifles with the old relic battle worn rough finish look, it's refreshing to be able to travel back in time and see what a soldier might see upon being handed a fresh new rifle to use. A showcase primo for sure. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a feeling it will be in the showcase soon Russell :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Add a "yes" vote for the showcase. Gorgeous M91!!

Do you think this is a "refurb"? Did the Finns refurb non-Finnish rifles...? I know they did their own (M27's, M39's, etc.) but I don't know that I've seen a Russian rifle that's been refurbed by them. New stocks, bolts and repairs are typical but reblued refurbs...? Maybe so - I just don't know.

Either way - showcase it!
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Some people have all of the luck!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

cj1964 wrote:Add a "yes" vote for the showcase. Gorgeous M91!!

Do you think this is a "refurb"? Did the Finns refurb non-Finnish rifles...? I know they did their own (M27's, M39's, etc.) but I don't know that I've seen a Russian rifle that's been refurbed by them. New stocks, bolts and repairs are typical but reblued refurbs...? Maybe so - I just don't know.

Either way - showcase it!
I've seen Imperial and Soviet 91s in post-war refurbished condition. Also sprinkle in some Remingtons and NEW rifles too. Some have had hang tags indicating post-war rebuild. I think that if it had a great condition bore it was apt to be refurbed no matter its origins.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

Looks like and nearly marked the same as the 1925 I picked up at a garage sale this weekend. Only notable difference I see is sling attachment. Oh, and I don't have the sling.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's interesting to compare this 1924 Soviet M91 to the M24's the Finns were making that year :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

Looks like a Great Showcase Rifle to me :thumbsup:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It's interesting to compare this 1924 Soviet M91 to the M24's the Finns were making that year :)
My first M24 is on it's way right now. I'll get to compare 1st hand. :)
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"