Finn capture 1924 Tula M91

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
racerguy00

Finn capture 1924 Tula M91

Post by racerguy00 »

I have been researching 20's dated Soviet M91 infantry rifles online since I picked this one up, and I had known they were scarce. I hadn't realized just how few of them are still around. I've received a lot of positive feedback on this rifle from both forum members and shooters that handled the rifle in person. I see that there are no 20's dated Soviet M91s in the showcase, so I'm submitting it for inclusion.

[quote="racerguy00"]When I visualize the red army swarming into battle in WW2 I picture the soldiers carrying 91/30s, carbines, SMGs and the like. But in truth, the original Mosin design, the M91 infantry rifle, saw service in the hands of the WW2 red army soldier as well. When I think of WW2 M91s, Finn Tikka and VKT M91s are the first things that pop into my head. This Tula M91 not only saw service in WW2, but was captured by the Finns and then most likely used against it's former owners.

Post WW1 M91s seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth, and when I see them they are usually SCW rifles sent to Spain as aid to Spanish Republican forces in the Spanish Civil War. I have seen very few that have been 'Finned'. As a late date M91, it is almost guaranteed that this rifle is a true Finn capture M91 as opposed to one inherited from the Russians or bought post-WW1. Thanks to the help of a fellow forum member, I was able to snag this fantastic example.

The rifle is in fantastic shape. Except for a few handling marks on the wrist and a small chip in the toe, it looks like it was refurbed yesterday. The markings are crisp and clear, and the bore is really nice with a small counterbore. It is a mix of older and newer parts, including Izhevsk, New England Westinghouse, and Sestroryetsk. The one big surprise on tearing the rifle down was finding the barrel channel had been releaved for clearance it's entire length, effectively free floating the barrel. The clearance work in the stock was then sealed with what appears to be a thin coat of pine tar. With the shimmed action and free floating barrel, I can't wait to see how she shoots. The Finn sling is an added bonus. Enjoy!

Discussion Section

I had always thought this W was an Austrian capture mark. With the date on this rifle, this is impossible.

Discussion Section
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.