The Crate

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: The Crate

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I forget myself all the time and then I have to do the video over again. I do a lot of videos over again :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

joe7170 wrote:JYD explains things like I do. "here we have a pile of this shit" "Over there's some more shit" "Shitload of this and that"... If I had his NY accent, it would sound like me :chuckles:

Yeah, like your straight-down-the-line delivery on video, JYD. And your uh, "exotic" accent :lol:
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I forget myself all the time and then I have to do the video over again. I do a lot of videos over again :)

Fortunately with the videos I put up, I just have to stand there and film. Any stuff-ups are performed by the shooter/competitor :biggrin:
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

dou44 wrote::JYD: my crate is starting to run out of room on top also.i need to pick up another one.
I like the helmets. I need to pick some up!
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Helmets are cool. I have a Soviet one, and bizarrely, a gas mask (which is on its way in the mail atm)

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I picked up a late Soviet helmet for $15 at a recent flea market :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Hey JYD! I enjoy your home videos! I always learn something and who doesn't like looking at JYD's "personal stash?" :lol: :lol: :lol: I will never own a crate of 91/30's but it sure is a pleasure to see someone else's! Thank you very much! :D
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I just watched the video again. I was hoping to see how the dividers are put in. When I bought my crate yesterday, there was just a pile of wood in the bottom, and who knows if it all came from that crate or not. Maybe if you're going to make a second video of row two, you could also then remove the last 10 rifles and film the way it goes together? You will be half way there anyways!

Also, I wanted to note: You talked about the way these are imported, referring to the paper and the grease. All of the recent purchased M91/30's I have from PW ARMS only have a light coat of oil on them. This oil does not smell new either. It smelled just like the crate. I think this is why places like AIM have the "shooter grade" sales, because some of the rifles got rust on them because the storage method was not working the greatest. My crate had the paper ripped out. but there is still remnants of it behind the nailed wood. Also, the most recent date painted on the outside is 1993. I think there is a 1989 date as well.
The M91/30 I got from Century was covered in grease, and I could not tell if it was old grease or not, but I think I heard somewhere that Century cleans all guns, stamps them, and then greases them, so I think the grease on that rifle was "new".

Just some observations for the few that are interested in knowing where their rifle came from, in it's current condition.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i wish i could find a russian helmet for $15.great find :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I enjoyed the video. I remember reading about a guy who found a M39 mixed in a crate of 91/30's a few years ago. Now I am wondering if it was true or not, but a simple lie like that would sure boost crate sales. :shock:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

MarksmanTim wrote:I just watched the video again. I was hoping to see how the dividers are put in. When I bought my crate yesterday, there was just a pile of wood in the bottom, and who knows if it all came from that crate or not. Maybe if you're going to make a second video of row two, you could also then remove the last 10 rifles and film the way it goes together? You will be half way there anyways!

Also, I wanted to note: You talked about the way these are imported, referring to the paper and the grease. All of the recent purchased M91/30's I have from PW ARMS only have a light coat of oil on them. This oil does not smell new either. It smelled just like the crate. I think this is why places like AIM have the "shooter grade" sales, because some of the rifles got rust on them because the storage method was not working the greatest. My crate had the paper ripped out. but there is still remnants of it behind the nailed wood. Also, the most recent date painted on the outside is 1993. I think there is a 1989 date as well.
The M91/30 I got from Century was covered in grease, and I could not tell if it was old grease or not, but I think I heard somewhere that Century cleans all guns, stamps them, and then greases them, so I think the grease on that rifle was "new".

Just some observations for the few that are interested in knowing where their rifle came from, in it's current condition.
I just finished part 2, didn't see your question, but I never had anything to go by either, I just set them in there the way that looked most right. One set of holders is flat on the bottom and cut to hold the rifles on top, these seemed to go on the bottom, the middle dividers are cut to hold rifles on both ends and are several inches thick. The top ones are thin. There is no way of knowing if these dividers came with this crate or were just tossed in there. I played with them to get the best fit, but still the fit isn't perfect because some of the rifles are not refurbs, two of the rifles are Finns and have Finn stocks with a slightly higher comb on the buttstock causing the top dividers to lift a bit. The crate isn't moving so I wasn't too conserned about it.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bunkysdad wrote:I enjoyed the video. I remember reading about a guy who found a M39 mixed in a crate of 91/30's a few years ago. Now I am wondering if it was true or not, but a simple lie like that would sure boost crate sales. :shock:
The M39 would be unlikely to fit with a crate of 91/30's, more likely someone found a Soviet recaptured 91/30 with an SA mark on it.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

OK, the second video is up, it has some good shots of the dividers used on top of the first row of rifles, that should give you an idea of how these go together.
Theodore Roosevelt
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:OK, the second video is up, it has some good shots of the dividers used on top of the first row of rifles, that should give you an idea of how these go together.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention that I did play around with what looked like it works best. I am missing one of the top pieces. So I have the 2 bottom, 2 middle, and 1 top. BUT then I also have 2 pieces of 1 by 4? and 1 piece of 1 by 6? There are also 2 small pieces that have small notches cut in them. I was thinking these were maybe for the bayonets? All of these pieces are cut to the width of the crate...
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

So far I have found no diagram to show how the crates were packed by the Soviets, the ones we always see were repacked by the importers after they marked the rifles so who knows what they left out or didn't put right.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

The crate I just got was full of the paper and dividers, The bottom ones were still in place and the others are obvious where they go. I guessed where the bayonets went because I could still see the marks where they sat on the bottom. The other wood? Don't know but two are just the right size to sit on top of the divider to hold them snug when the lid closes.

I put pics in this thread.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... 1&start=40
Kollaa kestää
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, I saw :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The original crate video
Theodore Roosevelt