New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jessejames

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Jessejames »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Jessejames wrote:New to this site and just registered. I'm primarily interested in deciphering the markings on my '42 Russian 91/30. Some unusual(or maybe not so unusual as I lack knowledge) things I've noticed include: all the serial numbers match EXCEPT for the one on the bayonette, the bolt has a Tula star on one part, but all the other parts have Izhevsk marks(triangle with an arrow inside). Some marks from the bottom of the magazine: backwards R and what looks like an incomplete B. just in front of those stamps and on the stock are two B's, two ovals with lines in the centers, and one square with a line in the center. I want to take high resolution photos of the stamps on the receiver(there are around 15) if anyone's as interested as me in deciphering them. Thanks! Glad to be here.
Welcome to the board Jesse, the bad news is that most of the small markings found on the Mosins are unknown, and the Russians don't seem inclined to enlighten us. At one time the rifle did have a matching bayonet but the dealers failed to keep it together with the rifle. Square with a diagonal line is a wood refurb stamp, verticle line is metal refurb stamp.
Thanks! I'm sure I'll figure some stuff out over time
Jcdd9194

Post by Jcdd9194 »

Hello!

I recently purchased a MN. Can't wait to shoot it!

I have learned a lot already from this forum.

Thanks!

JC
zeitnah

Post by zeitnah »

Hi forum, my name is Peter and I just registered. I'm currently planning to acquire a M44, M38, or 91/59. As I'm not a gun expert I'm hoping to find a lot of infos on these rifles here on the forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Jcdd9194 wrote:Hello!

I recently purchased a MN. Can't wait to shoot it!

I have learned a lot already from this forum.

Thanks!

JC
Welcome to the board, glad we could help :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeitnah wrote:Hi forum, my name is Peter and I just registered. I'm currently planning to acquire a M44, M38, or 91/59. As I'm not a gun expert I'm hoping to find a lot of infos on these rifles here on the forum.
Ah, a carbine collection, nice plan, but expensive, good luck as some are now harder to find. Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mbuckley52

Post by mbuckley52 »

How do i post pics of the numbers?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mbuckley52 wrote:How do i post pics of the numbers?

First you must size the pics down to 460x480 or smaller before they will load onto the board, or you can link from a host like photobucket. Below the reply box you will see a button marked Upload attachment, click on it and it will open a window were you can browse the photos in your computer.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Welcome! we would love to see you collection!
Jump on in :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

draftpick wrote:HI guys this is my fisrt post on this forum been lurking for a while and decided to join. I have 6 mosins, m39, m91, 91/30 and 3-T-53's.
Welcome to the board, with six Mosins your Mosinitis is well underway :) Tell us about these rifles over on the Mosin forum :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
chrisrs25

Post by chrisrs25 »

Just Hi!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

chrisrs25 wrote:Just Hi!
Hi to you as well, and welcome to the board :lol: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
mmkkpro

Post by mmkkpro »

Hey guys im new to this forum I was bitten by the mosin nagant bug last year at a gun show in wv,I bought a 1943 Izhevsk all numbers match not counter bored shboots well,any way last weekend I found a 1934 Izhevsk at a flea market,it has a straight bolt buut the bolt handle is not round its flat on top and bottom with a waffle or checkerboard design,looks like a factory job,so im looking forward to meeting everyone,I want to learn all I can about these historical pieces.
mbuckley52

Post by mbuckley52 »

Took mine to the range today. Not bad at all. Kicks a little. Had taken my AR with the new scope and sighted it in. Than want to the 100 yard range and fired the mosin, had open sights and forgot my spotter scope so had to use the one on my AR. Came to the conclusion i need a scope on the mosin.

mace windew

Post by mace windew »

Here's Johnny!

New guy here. representing the great state of Ohio, by way of Cincinnati. Been gun collecting for 24 years, mil surp collecting for about 7 years (and love every minute of it).
Celt

Post by Celt »

mmkkpro wrote:Hey guys im new to this forum I was bitten by the mosin nagant bug last year at a gun show in wv,I bought a 1943 Izhevsk all numbers match not counter bored shboots well,any way last weekend I found a 1934 Izhevsk at a flea market,it has a straight bolt buut the bolt handle is not round its flat on top and bottom with a waffle or checkerboard design,looks like a factory job,so im looking forward to meeting everyone,I want to learn all I can about these historical pieces.

Welcome! Feel free to post pictures in the mosin forum
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

mbuckley52 wrote:Took mine to the range today. Not bad at all. Kicks a little. Had taken my AR with the new scope and sighted it in. Than want to the 100 yard range and fired the mosin, had open sights and forgot my spotter scope so had to use the one on my AR. Came to the conclusion i need a scope on the mosin.

Welcome aboard!
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

mace windew wrote:Here's Johnny!

New guy here. representing the great state of Ohio, by way of Cincinnati. Been gun collecting for 24 years, mil surp collecting for about 7 years (and love every minute of it).

Hello Johny! Welcome to out small slice of heaven.
Feel free to post up some picts!
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Araneae

I recently came in contact with an Izzie 1947 M44.

Post by Araneae »

Hello,
As the subjust states, this rifle is what I wanted and the price was $150 for a 91/30 that a buddy's cousin wanted as trade. I will also say that another buddy is selling an 91/30 for $150 sans bayonet. I will post pics of before and after of stock refinishing and proposed upgrades... ASAP!
The receiver and bolt match, but the butt stock and floorplate do not. Honestly, I don't care as long as headspace and firing pin are GTG.

-Mosin Noob,
Richard
Araneae

Mmmmm...

Post by Araneae »

Sitting here with rifle in lap listening to Dear Mr. Fantasy by Traffi...cozy =)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mmkkpro wrote:Hey guys im new to this forum I was bitten by the mosin nagant bug last year at a gun show in wv,I bought a 1943 Izhevsk all numbers match not counter bored shboots well,any way last weekend I found a 1934 Izhevsk at a flea market,it has a straight bolt buut the bolt handle is not round its flat on top and bottom with a waffle or checkerboard design,looks like a factory job,so im looking forward to meeting everyone,I want to learn all I can about these historical pieces.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Bad news, the bolt has been at least partly sporterized as no Mosin bolt was ever issued that way, you didn't say anything about the handle being bent down so someone stopped short of a full bubba job on it. I recall buying many a milsurp at the flea market back in the day, Mosins included, but that was long ago now, great find :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt