Yugo M48 or Mosin M44?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
OLD OUTLAW

Re: Yugo M48 or Mosin M44?

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

antiquedave wrote:Anytime you get in a hurry you are going to pay more then you should, I really try to be patient and watch the papers and the online trading pages in my state, in the last month I picked up a mosin M44 for 160 a M48 for 150 and a Swedish M 96 for 190 all are in beautiful condition, Prior to December I went 20 years without buying a new gun, so I'm making up for lost time :)
:worthless:
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

My 2 cents is that the M48 has no history other than it is a Mauser design. The M44 can have ghosts in it :o , I like them.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Longcolt44 wrote:My 2 cents is that the M48 has no history other than it is a Mauser design. The M44 can have ghosts in it :o , I like them.
Some M48 rifles saw some use in the Yugoslav Wars, one of mine shows some battle usage and wear. While not quite as exciting as the history in WW2, it classifies as history at least to me. It was pretty much the end of Yugoslavia. However alot never were fielded or saw use, just regular inspections.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I remember seeing some great stock carvings on some of the Yugo wars used rifles.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Plan A was to get the Mosin. You went to get the Mosin. I would stick to the plan. Get the Mosin.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

bunkysdad wrote:Plan A was to get the Mosin. You went to get the Mosin. I would stick to the plan.
This is why I never have a plan :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
miklognasser

Post by miklognasser »

Bunky----That was the original plan.....however, I am a certified gun whore, unfortunately :D . Its a sickness really. It should be a permanent diagnosis in the DSM 4.

Desdem----That sounds like me!!!

Anyway, went back over (again!) to look at both of them yesterday. The M44 has a matching bolt and receiver number (T72 I believe). It also has many small cartouches on the stock as well which I thought was pretty neat. The bolt action is slick and appears to be well machined (not rough like I have heard on some Mosins).

I guess the biggest thing going for the Mosin is that its a lot easier for me to manipulate the straight bolt being a lefty than a bend bolt.

More too shall be revealed tomorrow...........