Need help with new VEPR; 1st ever AK

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Francqua

Need help with new VEPR; 1st ever AK

Post by Francqua »

Picked up a new VEPR in 7.62x54R ( portable semi auto cannon :devil2: ) yesterday from my FFL. Very well made. But I have the ROUGH wood stock and I sucked at wood shop! I got exactly what was shown and what I expected from Centerfire systems. No surprise.

I have a few things I need help with.
1) The front sights on the version 2 are set too darn far back. Is it possible to bolt on a front site? Would like to have a more typical AK front profile. I believe that the VEPR barrels are thicker than normal...help!

2) I removed the pinned screw on muzzle cap. I would like to put on a muzzle break of some sort. Only thing...there is no front site or detent to work with. I need a muzzle break with a shroud of some sort to hide where they put the pin. HELP ! The muzzle break from the other rifle threaded on just fine...however it did not have any "shroud" on it. See below.

3) Looking for a source or somebody with a finished wood stock ...a "take-off" for this rifle 7.62x54R (flat back). Why won't the other caliber stocks fit the 54R?
I don't now where to look for parts for these issues. This is my first venture into the AK platform!!! Went from bolt (Mosin) to semi auto in 7.62 x 54 R !!!! Bet this baby will roar!!! Pics to follow soon.

Picked up a Yugo NPAP M70 as well in 7.62 x 39 !!! :thumbsup: Going to be a fun Summer. ;mywink;
Gun budget is toast until next January!
Greasemonkey

Re: Need help with new VEPR; 1st ever AK

Post by Greasemonkey »

Ironwood Designs makes a stock http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDVEPRSVD.html

As for the muzzle brake, you may have to thread the barrel to install one. Not owning a VEPR I couldn't say, I know my PSL is threaded, but was welded, you probably could do something similar.

The sight design, only thing I've seen is information regarding installing a scope.

Now doing these thing may open you up to 922r compliance issues. See this quick explanation http://www.tapco.com/section922r/
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

I would love to get one of those, they are just so cool.. If I win the lotto its on my must have list..lol
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

I had a Vepr 54r for a brief time. I hated the shorter iron sights. For the range of the 54r cartridge, I bought a side mount scope and budget scope for the time being. As far as the wood stock, I think they were made like that as disposable stocks so you could use standard AK47 stocks and pistol grips. You said it was a flatback, and not slant receiver correct? If so, you can either finish your stock or get AK wood or poly furniture.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Definitely read up on 922r stuff. Could use a crush washer to unstall a muzzlebreak like an ar does. Congrat on your purchase!
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Greasemonkey wrote:Ironwood Designs makes a stock http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDVEPRSVD.html
That SVD stock looks incredible. I want!
chilort

Post by chilort »

Check out www.vepr.org.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?