91/30 Stock question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mmcghee6

91/30 Stock question

Post by mmcghee6 »

I picked this up the other day and had never seen a bolt in the stock in this position by the magazine. Can anyone tell me anything about this? Was it a modification? A certain style of stock?... non Russian?
Sorry but I haven't found much information on the internet so far. Thanks :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andrewd41

Re: 91/30 Stock question

Post by andrewd41 »

I have not seen this before in that location. I'm sure the more experienced on this site may have an answer. As for the possible modification, the finish is cracking and peeling off which is not indicative of Russian shellac. It is more common on an old or poorly applied nitro cellulose finish, this I don't believe was used by the Russians.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

The more knowledgable folks here can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a wrist bolt added to help hold the stock together, typically if the stock has already split. I believe they also are pretty much standard on the laminated stocks.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

very old refurb finish that was applied to thick and over a greasy stock. My 1944 Tula M44 has a finish like this, same dark thick shellac. Cool looking, looks 300 years old. The bolt is a commie crack fix, the stock had a crack, or they thought it would in that location so they added it. We have seen a few with this bolt setup on the board recently.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

For sure a Russian shellac job that went through a couple too many heat cycles and has aged. Through bolts anywhere in a Mosin would not surprize me at all any more as I have virtually seen them every where. Bill :o
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I saw that on the doors of a 1947 Chrysler Town and Country woodie recently, they said it was an original car and I believed it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mmcghee6

Post by mmcghee6 »

So here comes the newbie question.... the stock is peeling this red finish off each time it is touched. Is it out of the question to remove the red finish? Underneath looks to be a very light wood stock or maybe even laminate. Thoughts? :big shock:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

You need to get out of that Salvage Yard!!!!! You are starting to put everything in the vernacular of a car part! :lol: Bill
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Rubbing it down with Denatured Alky will kind of smooth it over and more or less stabilize it a bit but I don't think that answer will be accepted here even though it really changes nothing but moves to retain what little is there. If this is considered a NO-no just strike this post. Bill :oops:
mmcghee6

Post by mmcghee6 »

zeebill wrote:Rubbing it down with Denatured Alky will kind of smooth it over and more or less stabilize it a bit but I don't think that answer will be accepted here even though it really changes nothing but moves to retain what little is there. If this is considered a NO-no just strike this post. Bill :oops:
Thanks for the reply.. that is why I am asking as I don't want to really change it or do anything to harm the gun. Just never had a stock that was peeling like this and not sure what would be the best for the overall situation. If I handle it much I feel most will come off naturally at some point.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Just leave it be, let it age naturally and look the part of a real antique that it is.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeebill wrote:You need to get out of that Salvage Yard!!!!! You are starting to put everything in the vernacular of a car part! :lol: Bill
I saw that one at a show Bill, If I had a '47 Chrysler T&C woodie I would be off selling it so I could have another hundred large to spend on guns :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt