Cast Bullets

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Trinity Arms

Cast Bullets

Post by Trinity Arms »

Looking for some info from you guys. At one time we were a fairly large cast bullet dealer in most of the popular calibers .38/.357, .45, 9mm, .44. I am thinking of getting back into this so I am wondering if any members here have specific calibers wants or needs in hard cast lead bullets? Just kind of testing the market to see if there is any. Thanks and God Bless,
Chris
Buyer and Seller of Collectible Military Firearms
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Cast Bullets

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I cast my own Chris, for a variety of rifle and pistol bullets as well as round ball for the BP shooters. From the amount of lead I have sold it seems a lot of people are casting their own also.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I've accumulated a lot of stuff for reloading in the 30 years I have been reloading. Bullet casting equipment is one thing I have never bought. I buy good quality cast bullets for .44 Special (.430 diameter) and for .38 Special (.357-.358 diameter). If the price is right and the shipping to my location is reasonable, I would consider buying some more.
Trinity Arms

Post by Trinity Arms »

Jim, we have noticed the same thing, more people doing it themselves
Buyer and Seller of Collectible Military Firearms
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hi Chris. I cast mine too, but also have bought some. The bought bullets are nice in that they are professionally sized, and lubed. The thing I see is that there are plenty of handgun bullets in the poular sizes, but not so for rifles. A few specialty places have bullets in 30 caliber, but not in .303 which would work for Mosins and Enfields, and even the 7.7 Japanese. Can you imagine having a cast bullet business that would cater to milsurp shooters of 7.62x54r, 8mm Mauser, 8x56r, 7.5 Swiss, and some of the others. These rifles are perfect candidates for cast loads where reduced charges are not only fun and accurate, but easier on the actions of these old relics. So......... I cast my own. Equipment is cheap, casting is kinda fun, but time consuming when reloading already takes up precious time.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I cast my own. I buy surplus Mosin ammo but cast for my Nagant, Berdan, Egyptian rolling block, .44 Russian, .45ACP, and my Romanian TT-33 copy.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Trinity Arms wrote:Jim, we have noticed the same thing, more people doing it themselves
It's Lee that got a lot of people into it, a wide variety of easy to use molds for under $25, and youtube with a thousand video's showing how it's done.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt