Second crossbolt?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mitch5690

Second crossbolt?

Post by mitch5690 »

So why would a 1942 91/30 have a second crossbolt behind where the trigger is mid riffle? Not blued metal but brass?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Second crossbolt?

Post by Rongo »

mitch5690 wrote:So why would a 1942 91/30 have a second crossbolt behind where the trigger is mid riffle? Not blued metal but brass?
Pictures would help. The second crossbolt is a common addition to laminated stocks... But I did see a 42 Izhevsk the other day with one in a standard wood stock.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I have one, not in the wrist though. It is a reinforcement for the damaged stock.

Kollaa kestää
mitch5690

Post by mitch5690 »

Yeah it's like that, was just curious caught me off gaurs and wasn't quite sure what it was intended for
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's to keep the stock together, the wrist area is prone to cracking on these rifles.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You tend to see it more on carbine, but not just carbines. Don't know why they did it to some and not others. Also it was done to hardwood (non-laminated) stocks also.

Darryl
finloq

Post by finloq »

The Soviet version of the 'Ishy Screw'.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
chilort

Post by chilort »

I've got one in my solid stock '37 Isky.
821bfd2e-d7f4-4c5e-adc2-3c054c8d0bf0 by chilort, on Flickr
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looks like some of them were added later as a repair. A simple solution to a crack in the stock. 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"