Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The original riot shotgun, and this one is an original Winchester, not a Chinese copy. WW1 production, with both US and police markings it remains as solid today as it was 90 years ago. It is still on duty kept close to hand as I sleep, because there is no trigger disconnector it will fire all it's rounds very quickly, just hold back the trigger and work the slide to fire it. Mounts the 1917 bayonet. People keep offering me all sorts of money or trades for this shotgun, no way I will sell my favorite, this one I am taking with me :)

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun

Post by Rongo »

Image I like that! 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

8-) 8-) 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

What's the r in rpd stand for?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ridgefield Connecticut Police Department #13 They would have had this in the 40's and 50's
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This gun is nice. My brother has one at pawn shop but not this clean and sometime in past has had a Cutts Compensator added to barrell. Yeah US marked with flaming bomb and a freakin Cutts Compensator. :o
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I just fell out of my chair... :shock:

That is nice. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Thanks Ron, It's my best shotgun, The one that comes with me when the food riots start.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hobe Sound Falcon

Post by Hobe Sound Falcon »

What Year was it made?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Probably about 20 years ago I wrote down when it was made, how I found out I don't remember, what I did with the book I wrote everything down in I also don't remember. I know it was just before the Great War or during it.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

That is one nice looking shotgun.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's the sort of thing that comes along once in a lifetime, you jump on it or spend the next 40 years watching their prices climb thinking you should have got it back when.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Now that's a shotgun! :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Best pump shotgun in history so far as I am concerned. John Browning designed guns tend to be like that :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

I love that shotgun! :thumbsup: Do you know what Police dept. R.P.D. represents?

Sorry Jim, was scrolling back through and just saw the Ridgefield PD connection. Any history on Ridgefield that may conect to this Shotgun? Good chance they used it during prohibition. :?:

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

That is one heck of a shotgun, something I doubt I'll ever run across, nice pics of the flaming bomb proof, Beautiful shotgun thanks for posting.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sgt. Rob wrote:I love that shotgun! :thumbsup: Do you know what Police dept. R.P.D. represents?

Sorry Jim, was scrolling back through and just saw the Ridgefield PD connection. Any history on Ridgefield that may conect to this Shotgun? Good chance they used it during prohibition. :?:

Semper Fi, Rob
It could have been, Ridgefield is a medium sized town over in Connecticut, they have a small department that wasn't called Ridgefield Connecticut Police Department until 1955, they probably had this shotgun for some time before that. I got no history with it other than it was a police trade in many years ago. The town is 300 years old, so I am guessing some interesting things must have happened there over the years, the area does not seem to have been a hotspot of prohibition era activity, more an escape for wealthy New York City types , and later suburbanites.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:That is one heck of a shotgun, something I doubt I'll ever run across, nice pics of the flaming bomb proof, Beautiful shotgun thanks for posting.
They are out there, but watch out for the sticker shock. The Chinese reproduce this gun, but it's nothing like the real thing.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

Beauty.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"