To the bubbas lurking on this site....

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rideandslidejim

Re: To the bubbas lurking on this site....

Post by rideandslidejim »

I have been holding off on commenting on this thread " Bubba's Lurking " I bought my first Mosin just to buy a cheap hunting rifle to go with my son in law when/if ( i like the guy ) he invites me hunting ! I found this forum and was "lurking " around here , and would probably have sanded , stained and varnished it to make it so purteey ! But because i was "lurking" here i learned the history of these weapons and the errors of my thoughts

So i welcome all the "lurkers" , so they may learn ( as i did ) and appreciate the history , and if not, what have we lost ? But i think we have gained ( and changed )more than if they never saw us !!!!!!!! :ani-pop: :ani-pop:

Off My Soapbox Now ! Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It's also so much fun when some asshole comes up to your original Model A Ford and starts saying how cool it would look with the top chopped, the suspension lowered, and a small block Chevy in it, maybe candy apple red paint with flames up the side. Or " you could make a cool T Bucket out of this" when they see the Model T.
What? Without these people we would not have had muscle cars or the cars we have today. You cannot compare the two. Again they did this in the 40's and 50's. This only goes to prove my point that this is how we do things in this country whether it will be automobiles or firearms. That is why we have our crowd and they have theirs. It all boils down to who owns what and what they want to do with it. I guarantee you that their will be enough Mosin's for our future's kids. It is rare when I go to a gun show and see sporterized Mosin's. It is mostly Mauser's, some 1903's and some Eddystone's.

James
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

What I don't get... Was looking on gunbroker earlier and it seemed the rifles that had bids on them were mostly "sporterized" ones and they were double or triple a standard one. There were some interesting ones (to me anyhow) that didn't have ANY bids... Haven't purchased one online before, kind of dubious about that but maybe I should be bidding on those real gems!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bidding on a bubba rifle is like bidding on a 15 year old, high milage, used car, you might get something that at least works, or you might get a real piece of shit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Be wary of bids on high priced bubba crap. GB is a fickle girl at best. Watch stuff for a while if you are uncertain of how it works. There are fakery bids out there on some stuff to get other people to bid. If it has bids and then shows up again then you are sure it is not right. :shock:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

desdem12 wrote:Be wary of bids on high priced bubba crap. GB is a fickle girl at best. Watch stuff for a while if you are uncertain of how it works. There are fakery bids out there on some stuff to get other people to bid. If it has bids and then shows up again then you are sure it is not right. :shock:
And watch those shipping fees, as well.. It can make a good deal,a bad one real fast..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Shipping fees are not a bother most of the times if they are honest. If they ship in a hard case I am very happy to pay that little insurance for it to arrive safe. I have not had any trouble yet with the shipping but not saying it could not happen. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

:pointdown: :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Tactical on a mosin............???????? :vconfused: Are you talking about the sling?
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

Greasemonkey wrote::pointdown: :thumbsup:

That one is going up in the garage!
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

desdem12 wrote:Tactical on a mosin............???????? :vconfused: Are you talking about the sling?
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Boatloads of tactical Mosins floating around here :big shock: Black stocks, bent bolts with camo painted metal and what looks like a Hubble space telescope mounted on it :vomit4: One I found has a 4x12x40 Leupold scope mounted, the frickin scope cost what 5 M91/30's do. I mean really, isn't that better suited to a 700BDL or something. Ranks up there with sticking a 426 Hemi in a damn Omni :bang: :chuckles:

I won't even go down what horrors I've seen done to SKS's :cry1: :tissue:

Most gun shows now I have to eat a box of Zantac before hand to control the vomit burps :chuckles:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

rustytruck wrote:
desdem12 wrote:Tactical on a mosin............???????? :vconfused: Are you talking about the sling?

AAAHHHHHHH KILL IT, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!! DON'T LET IT SPAWN !!

As for shipping fees, when your looking at a $100 ish rifle and see $40 plus my FFL fee it's like 50% of the total cost.. Would rather buy local at that point.. Which made me have an interesting thought, I don't understand selling on GB.. This is why, take a $150 riffle, I know I always take into account shipping/FFL charges. So for me to be at that $150 price point I know my bid can't be more then about $110-$120.. Even though the rifle is worth $150 all day long, and I would pay that locally.. I guess what I'm saying is you can easily cost yourself $30-$50 by selling on GB rather then selling local, and thats before GBs fees.. Just seems strange..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I will grant that scenario. However. I have not bought a 100ish rifle for a while on an auction sight but would love to. If your FFL fees are high get a C&R and you will cut out that fee at least.
Not sure of your locale but there are exactly maybe possibly 5 milsurps in this town at one time for sale in a store. The populace is around 250,000 and there are a few gunstores. So the options are 000.0001 That I will find anything interesting or worth buying and not bubbad. You can see what I am getting at. GB is a good place for many of us and also for the sellars. If you look above your 100 dollar rifles then the fact that you have a fighting chance at something you are interested in is hope in it self. Some of the other auction sights are ok but some allow out of line sellars. :thumbsup:
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

TheMaineEvent wrote:I'll admit that when I first entertained getting a Mosin that I had visions of making it all nice and purdy and that my vision of purdy was to refurbish it. Once I started shopping around for one I quickly lost all notions of that nonsense as to actually hold one is to hold a piece of history. It took me seeing one in person to realize these rifles all have a story to tell and who are we to erase that history?
I felt the same way. i had visions of putting a scope on it etc... but once i got it in my hands, i want to keep it the way it is.
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

rustytruck wrote:I have to admit I was considering sanding and refinishing the stock on my first MN when I stumbled onto this board and "saw the light".
:thumbsup:
Glad you saw the light. I think some Bubbas never will.

Hey Bubba Can you see the light now!!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Greasemonkey wrote::pointdown: :thumbsup:
"It says so in this little red book!"
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

srv1 wrote:Where can you find a rifle that shoots a 30 cal bullet for under $.25 a round? Where can you find a rifle that shoots a 30 caliber round for $150 and under? This is the major reason why these guns are "bubba'd". They are plentiful along with the ammunition. This has been happen to all milsurps for years. Just think of what happened 10 years after WWII, 1903's and Mauser's were sporterized. Why? Because at the time they were cheap and plentiful. So this is nothing new. You cannot stop it until these dry up and become valuable.

JAmes

303s were very commonly rebarelled to 303-25 and sporterised here for hunting after WW2, as NSW (specifically) had a post-war law which outlawed the ownership of all "military" calibres by civilians. So there are still quite a few knocking around. Found one of these for sale just now, asking price $300:

Such is the relative scarcity of Mosins here, I have only ever seen one for sale online which was 'Bubb'd' - and that was with the addition of a pistol grip. Obviously had to be drilled through the stock :shock: ouch painful :roll:

"Refinishing' seems to be mercifully few examples of here. Probably because the rifles are, comparatively.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock: :shock:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

[quote="Greasemonkey"]Boatloads of tactical Mosins floating around here :big shock: Black stocks, bent bolts with camo painted metal and what looks like a Hubble space telescope mounted on it :vomit4: One I found has a 4x12x40 Leupold scope mounted, the frickin scope cost what 5 M91/30's do. I mean really, isn't that better suited to a 700BDL or something. Ranks up there with sticking a 426 Hemi in a damn Omni :bang: :chuckles:

I won't even go down what horrors I've seen done to SKS's :cry1: :tissue:

Most gun shows now I have to eat a box of Zantac before hand to control the vomit burps :chuckles:[/quote

I thought you were describing metro Phoenix, everyone is a closet gunsmith named Bubba and all have produced some really high dollar stuff:pointup: :vomit1:
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933