Finn capture 1924 Tula M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

Finn capture 1924 Tula M91

Post by racerguy00 »

When I visualize the red army swarming into battle in WW2 I picture the soldiers carrying 91/30s, carbines, SMGs and the like. But in truth, the original Mosin design, the M91 infantry rifle, saw service in the hands of the WW2 red army soldier as well. When I think of WW2 M91s, Finn Tikka and VKT M91s are the first things that pop into my head. This Tula M91 not only saw service in WW2, but was captured by the Finns and then most likely used against it's former owners.

Post WW1 M91s seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth, and when I see them they are usually SCW rifles sent to Spain as aid to Spanish Republican forces in the Spanish Civil War. I have seen very few that have been 'Finned'. As a late date M91, it is almost guaranteed that this rifle is a true Finn capture M91 as opposed to one inherited from the Russians or bought post-WW1. Thanks to the help of a fellow forum member, I was able to snag this fantastic example.

The rifle is in fantastic shape. Except for a few handling marks on the wrist and a small chip in the toe, it looks like it was refurbed yesterday. The markings are crisp and clear, and the bore is really nice with a small counterbore. It is a mix of older and newer parts, including Izhevsk, New England Westinghouse, and Sestroryetsk. The one big surprise on tearing the rifle down was finding the barrel channel had been releaved for clearance it's entire length, effectively free floating the barrel. The clearance work in the stock was then sealed with what appears to be a thin coat of pine tar. With the shimmed action and free floating barrel, I can't wait to see how she shoots. The Finn sling is an added bonus. Enjoy!

I had always thought this W was an Austrian capture mark. With the date on this rifle, this is impossible.

On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
BubbaDX

Re: Finn capture 1924 Tula M91

Post by BubbaDX »

Very nice, it looks barely used. I hope I look that good at 89 years old. :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
finloq

Post by finloq »

love the sling
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:grumpy: :hubba: :hubba: :hubba: :hubba: :hubba: :hubba: :hubba: :bravo: WOW what a m91 if I ever saw one.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Very cool M91 you got there RG, not many of them floating around. :vcool:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Miller Tyme wrote:Very cool M91 you got there RG, not many of them floating around. :vcool:
Thanks! I've been very lucky lately. The latest m91 pick-up is an elderly old girl who speaks with a French accent... :wink:
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Though more common at the Izhevsk Arsenal in the 1920's, one often finds much older or undated receivers from that era.

A '24 Tula receiver tang stamp is quite a sight. The whole gun is quite a sight. Congrats!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very nice! You don't see many 20's era M91's. I love the sling as well. :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

BubbaDX wrote:Very nice, it looks barely used. I hope I look that good at 89 years old. :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
You too must get yourself an extensive refurbishment like the rifle, then you might have a chance. :) I wonder what would equal restocking and rebluing in human refurbishment process?! :)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Bugelson wrote:
BubbaDX wrote:Very nice, it looks barely used. I hope I look that good at 89 years old. :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
You too must get yourself an extensive refurbishment like the rifle, then you might have a chance. :) I wonder what would equal restocking and rebluing in human refurbishment process?! :)

:D
I would wind up with a pot-belly stock I'm sure.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

When you started describing this one, I thought, "I hope he took a picture of the stock with the barrel out" and dang if you didn't! Nice One! . Thanks for letting us look.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Note the shim in there :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

You did well.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Nice Rifle! Usually when the barrel channel is clearenced like that you will find a 91/24 heavy barreled rifle in place. Many people do not realize that the heavy barreled rifles really required a special fit in the barrel channel of the stock usually. If you find a questionable vintage 91/24 look very closely at the fit of the hand guard and the stock on the rifle. Look for a space between the stock and the hand guard, see how far down into the stock the barrel is fit, and check and see if the rifle action is setting way up in the stock to get the action tilt back in the stock and float the barrel. If you see one or more or all of these things it is a good bet the 91/24 has been put in a replacement stock at some time. Then you have to decide when that was done and start asking specific questions of the seller. It is just my way but if I get a bunch of I don't know answers I pass on buying it.

I have found a couple of barrel channels like that over the years and to make it even more interesting I have found them with a pad of wood left on the muzzle end of the channel to sort of support or cradle the barrel. That really had me wondering because while one of the wood workings tried to float the rifle barrel the other supported it? Who knows what they were trying to do those many long years ago! Old rifles tell many stories but sometimes they raise many questions too. Bill :D
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I took this rifle out for a trip to the range today and wasn't disappointed. With Winchester commercial 180 gr. soft point she threw a perfectly centered first 5 shot group just under 2 inches at 75 yards, 6 inches high. I'm positive that this is the first time time that the rifle had been fired since the Finn refurb, the counter bore and first bit of the rifling were blued with no wear to the bluing. I shot those five rounds, smiled, and moved on to the next rifle. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've submitted this rifle to the mosin showcase, if the members think it's a worthy addition I'd love to see it there.