Picked up a vz. 52. Questions.

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jack Flag

Picked up a vz. 52. Questions.

Post by Jack Flag »

I picked this up from Gunbroker. Just go it yesterday. These are the best pictures I have. They're from the auction and I enlarged them a bit. I can get better/more detailed ones. But I'm away from it for a day or two.

The rifle is nearly complete. It's missing the bolt hold open parts. Which I need to track down.

I originally thought it had no import marks. But underneath the barrel cover/shroud, there is a faint SAMCO importation mark.

My questions are this:

The metal looks really, really good. There are some dings and perhaps some "pitting". What I mean is the metal is all smooth, pretty and brand new type looking. But all the metal is a deep, rich blue instead of what I believe is an originally supposed to be gray, dull metal color. Is this an arsenal refinish or some thing some one else did? Is there a mark to look for, for arsenal refinishing? The bolt cover and the front sight hood have turned a slight plum color.

It came with three magazines. One magazine is the same blue as the metal, but two are a dull dark gray. All the mags lock in, but they wobble a good amount. I don't know if this is from the bho pieces missing or what?

Does the wood look original? Color?

The action locks up good and cycles smoothly. But the entire receiver fit to the stock is a little sloppy. Is this normal? Or just from old age. I can move it a good couple mm or so.

Thanks for the help and wisdom.

I'm a Czech weapons aficionado. I know many of the CZ handguns like the back of my hand. Same for the vz. 58.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Picked up a vz. 52. Questions.

Post by millman »

At least it is not covered in bed liner like a lot of them are. :vcool:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

millman wrote:At least it is not covered in bed liner like a lot of them are. :vcool:
Who did that? Century?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
millman wrote:At least it is not covered in bed liner like a lot of them are. :vcool:
Who did that? Century?
Perhaps. Most of them I see are like that.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They used to do that to the stocks used on some of their builds.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jack Flag

Post by Jack Flag »

I don't quite get your quote. Are you saying that the metal and/or wood finish isn't original or rearsenaled? I just trying to figure things out. Because I have the opportunity to return it if I want to.

As for the rhino lining. I fully aware that Century did that years ago with a number of 52s. It was mainly to hide issues with the stocks. Or as some people think, to try and capitalize on the black rifle craze back then.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The finish on yours is commie original, bed liner would be the stuff Century put on their rifles, some of them anyway, to sell them in the 90's. It just nice to see one that was not butchered like that.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jack Flag

Post by Jack Flag »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The finish on yours is commie original, bed liner would be the stuff Century put on their rifles, some of them anyway, to sell them in the 90's. It just nice to see one that was not butchered like that.
I agree. The monkeys at Century deserved to be slapped for doing that. As well as for a few other things.

On both the metal and the stock? I mean, I've seen a few other 52s from my research that have the blued metal. But obviously on such an old rifle finish can vary. I just thought the very original finish on the metal was a grayish phosphate color like on original vz(cz)52 pistols. Though many of those were rearsenaled and turned a blackish/blue color. From the bluing mixing with the original gray phosphate coating. And with the one mag being a blue as well. I guess I could maybe see an arsenal somewhere to that to the mag that was possibly with the weapon.

It's a good looking gun and all, just trying to get as much info about them as possible. Which can be a bit difficult. I wouldn't say this is a "rare" rifle. But it certainly isn't the most common thing around.

On a good note, if I keep it. I've already found the missing BHO parts online. :pointleft:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The finish could have been done over 20 times by the commies, no way to tell, it shows honest wear on it now as any issued rifle would. It looks exactly as it should, if it looked like brand new then I would get suspicious .
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

I have three of these and it looks good to me. The real important thing on these is condition. The original ammo is some of the most corrosive out there and the way most of these were stored led to most being less than nice. Most will have dark barrels at best and sewer pipes at worst. So if the internals are clean and you have a nice bore then you have done well. If it shoots well then it should be a keeper. In the pic I see a can of ammo, did you get that too? Ammo is expensive for these now. I think these are well made and very interesting weapons.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Jack Flag

Post by Jack Flag »

gurn wrote:I have three of these and it looks good to me. The real important thing on these is condition. The original ammo is some of the most corrosive out there and the way most of these were stored led to most being less than nice. Most will have dark barrels at best and sewer pipes at worst. So if the internals are clean and you have a nice bore then you have done well. If it shoots well then it should be a keeper. In the pic I see a can of ammo, did you get that too? Ammo is expensive for these now. I think these are well made and very interesting weapons.
The barrel and rest of the internals look pretty good. I have to clean the barrel and inspect more thoroughly to determine the exact condition.

Yeah, I've heard the ammo is horrible when considering corrosion. Take regular 7.62x54r and multiply by 10. :chuckles: :beek: :chuckles:

Yes it came with a several hundred rounds of ammo. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm gonna get the whole thing cleaned with Eezox (excellent for corrosion protection) and get the bho parts ordered and installed. Then I'll be shooting it some every now and then.

I've found field stripping the gun isn't to hard and pretty quick. So drowning the needed metal parts with hot water won't be an issue. Only the gas system with be a little tricky to clean. I ain't removing the front sight base every time. :mrgreen:

Got picks of your three? I'd like to grab another one or ten down the road. Minus the Rhino lining of course.

Like I mentioned above. It looks pretty good, I'm just trying to determine if everything is original or at least rearsenaled. This is a preservation forum after all. But so many of these rifles are in horrendous shape, that most could probably use a little TLC.

There was a guy locally here selling a really nice looking 52/57 on GB. But I didn't have the cash for what it went for. Ammo would be a problem for that one though. :)

Thanks for the comments.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Corrosive is corrosive, there is only so much salts that can fit into a tiny primer cup, there is no one corrosive round that is less corrosive than another. That is the sort of thing you would read in advertising back in the 90's "slightly, or mildly " corrosive, an attempt to get people to buy it thinking they were buying something close to commercial loads. Smokeless powder no matter who made it , is not in of itself corrosive, not like black powder. Black powder incorporates saltpeter in it's mix , then in the cartridge era you would get powder and primer fouling that was corrosive, not so with smokeless powders. A simple wash out with boiling water after you shoot it , and before you clean it with solvent, will take care of the salts. Because this is a gas operated semi auto you will have to wash off every part of the gas system and the bolt as well.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

Here ya go Jack, two were covered in the "bed-liner" when I got them and that was a b@#$% getting off. One handguard wood was so bad I had to get creative in repairing it, note the dowel rods. The last one was a CAI conversion to 7.62x39 with the insert but it was lost before I got it. They marked it 7.62x39 on the receiver. They also put a new stock on it. I need to repair the handguard on that one also but may make a new one to match the stock. Need to get two more slings and a sight hood also. All three of mine have dark bores.Image
Jack Flag

Post by Jack Flag »

gurn wrote:Here ya go Jack, two were covered in the "bed-liner" when I got them and that was a b@#$% getting off. One handguard wood was so bad I had to get creative in repairing it, note the dowel rods. The last one was a CAI conversion to 7.62x39 with the insert but it was lost before I got it. They marked it 7.62x39 on the receiver. They also put a new stock on it. I need to repair the handguard on that one also but may make a new one to match the stock. Need to get two more slings and a sight hood also. All three of mine have dark bores.Image
Nice. You definitely saved a couple when you got rid of of the bed liner. :pointup:
gurn

Post by gurn »

Yep they turned out nice, I used several coats of tongue oil on the stocks which made the patterns pop.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt