Casing Bulge

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Flintlock

Casing Bulge

Post by Flintlock »

Hello , this is my first post here , I was cleaning my 91/30 , to get rid of sticky bolt , and noticed that some spent casings have a very slight bulge a few milimeters from the rim . Should I worry about this?
WeldonHunter

Re: Casing Bulge

Post by WeldonHunter »

Flintlock wrote:Hello , this is my first post here , I was cleaning my 91/30 , to get rid of sticky bolt , and noticed that some spent casings have a very slight bulge a few milimeters from the rim . Should I worry about this?
Split casings with mil-surp ammo are normal from time to time from what I hear but I've never had any bulge at the rim/base. Mine have split near the neck. Did you check the headspace first of all? If not there's a banner at the top of the page, Okie Headspace Guages, with info. about how to get guages to check it. Second I'd be looking at the chamber to see if there's any corroded places along the walls of the chamber. Can you post a picture of one of the bulging cases?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Check that headspace, if it's bad you can correct it with by replacing the bolt head with another, it may take several bolt heads to get it right, acquire extras on gunbroker or evilbay.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Chumlee Bumsnag

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

I got my Okie gauges yesterday and took Mosin carbines to the range today. A bulge at the base says excessive headspace to me. Have you measured the cases and compared to an unfired case? Here's what the gauges look like.
m-44 groups 007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Pics of the bulged cases would help a lot. Don't shoot it until you check the headspace!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I looked at some fired cases from my last range trip and they seem to have a slight bulge about 1/8" up from the rim, nothing major, you can see it just looking at it if you know what you're looking for, I haven't thrown a pair of calipers on it to see what the differences are between it and an unfired one. I know my headspace is good on all mine. Could it just be the case expanding a bit to seal against the chamber wall ? This is on Russian surplus 146gr ammo in my instance.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Sometimes when the armorer was finish reaming the chamber they would pull the reamer out while it was still running at a high enough speed to have it chase itself around the firing chamber walls. This leaves a little track around the chamber and shows as a bulge around the spent casing. It will sometimes also manifest itself as a hard to remove the spent cartridge rifle and sticking bolt problem rifle. Either way the rifle will never be a real extraordinarily accurate rifle because of the excess chamber volume and the tugging that does on the shell when it is fired the bullets tend to wander or maybe even veer and such things. The ideal thing is a tight and unworn chamber but nothing is that perfect on these babies as they were battle rifles.

Sometimes these little tracks in the chamber are visible with a bright bore light, other times they are not. Erosion of the chamber is another story but either way you need to check the head-space. Remember the Mosin has no way to eliminate any pressure from a ruptured cartridge and if it blows back strong enough to knock the bolt out of bolt lock-up and out the rear of the rifle the next thing it hits is your head and so on! Not a pretty sight as you can guess! Good Luck! Bill
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Chumlee Bumsnag wrote:I got my Okie gauges yesterday and took Mosin carbines to the range today. A bulge at the base says excessive headspace to me. Have you measured the cases and compared to an unfired case? Here's what the gauges look like.
m-44 groups 007.jpg
Oooohhhh...nice pic of my babies!! :D
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Either way.... Checking headspace is a must with older bolt guns. Okie gauges are a great investment. Worth every penny.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"