M1 Garand

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

M1 Garand

Post by Darryl »

M1 Garand, 30 Cal. M2 (30-06),WWII October 1942 Springfield Armory receiver
Korean era rebuild, Barrel is an SA - 8 -51 Korean era replacement, Inspected and stored by Letterkenny Arsenal in 1964 (LEAD 64)
Non circled Proof P in the pistol grip, Ink stamped orange triangle with the number 68 (inspector mark) on the bottom of the pistol grip
Left side faint right end of a DOD cartouche

This is one that I talked SgtRobP out of. Also my favorite milsurp to fire. There is something about that "ping" when the clip is empty.

Dolk

Image Image

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: M1 Garand

Post by Rongo »

Very nice. The ping is really a sound one either hates or loves. We milsurp shooters enjoy it... As did the Axis forces. Allied forces hated it for obvious reasons. I've heard stories of allied soldiers saving spare clips to throw on the rocks to emulate the sound of last round fired. Usually when they had a fully loaded clip! 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
revolverguy

Post by revolverguy »

That is a sharp looking Garand :D :D :D . But the ping stuff is a load of crap, that is a story that was made up after the war. As much as I've shot mine, never heard a ping , unless it hit concrete.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I remember this one well, you know about my Garand disease from the 90's, only rising cost kept me from adding more of them :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
smacneighill

Post by smacneighill »

Very nice! 8-)
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

As loud as a K98 Mauser and Garand are along with a MG 42 rattling off in the distance I doubt anyone could hear the ping of a Garand stripper clip. Oh yeah most important, that's a really nice Garand.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Some Garands don't ring or ping as the clip leaves.

I don't know about the story about the Axis powers that took advantage of it or not is true, but it is not what I was talking about.

If you remove your earplugs, there is a definite ring or ping (depending on what you want to call it) as the clip leaves (the troops didn't get to use ear plugs). No doubt it rings when it his concrete, that is not what I am talking about. Just as it ejects, there is a ping or ring on most Garands I have ever been around. But like I said, I have heard a few that have nothing.

Here is a few examples you can hear for yourself.

Dolk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVtDjNkOY-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4X_-RuqZio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2RtWXU0lJg
RudyN

Post by RudyN »

Mine sure pings when the clip is ejected afer the eigth round.
Rudy N
1926 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1929 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1935 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
1943 Tula 91/30
1943 Tula M38
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 VKT M39
1928 SIG M28
1956 T53
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

A very nice M1 Garand! These rifles are a joy to detail strip.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

dolk wrote:M1 Garand, 30 Cal. M2 (30-06),WWII October 1942 Springfield Armory receiver
Korean era rebuild, Barrel is an SA - 8 -51 Korean era replacement, Inspected and stored by Letterkenny Arsenal in 1964 (LEAD 64)
Non circled Proof P in the pistol grip, Ink stamped orange triangle with the number 68 (inspector mark) on the bottom of the pistol grip
Left side faint right end of a DOD cartouche

This is one that I talked SgtRobP out of. Also my favorite milsurp to fire. There is something about that "ping" when the clip is empty.

Dolk
Sorry but this doesn't have anything to do with the post really but you mentioned Letterkenny. I used to pass that place every weekend for years. It's huge. We have a place right across the next mountain in a small town named ShadeGap. I didn't know they had Garands there. Good thing too I guess, lol.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Mine has a distinct ping even through earplugs.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Really nice Garand in the picture outstanding condition, next to the 03 my favorite rifle of all time.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Really nice Garand in the picture outstanding condition, next to the 03 my favorite rifle of all time.
Thank you. This is my favorite rifle to shoot. I just love the sight picture and I can see down range for some reason.

I have a 1906 (not 1906a3) Remington that I have never even shot yet :oops: I'll have to clean it up and take it out!

Dolk
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

I don't have one yet :? :? :? Boy is my Christmas list growing. :roll: :roll:
Another nice example there Dolk 8-) 8-)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ping!
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I find as my eyes age the aperture sights work better. I am trying to center a front post that I can see in the center of a fuzzy ring. Which is a lot easier than a fuzzy U.
We have met the enemy and he is us.