Accuracy of Mosin Chinese 53

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
RugerFan

Accuracy of Mosin Chinese 53

Post by RugerFan »

Hello Mosin Fans,

I am pretty new to Mosin Nagants and new to the forum. I picked up a Chinese 53 and, after a LOT of cleaning over the past few weeks, I am really enjoying taking her to the range. When I first got it I was having some severe issues with the bolt sticking, but the last few times out it has worked with no issues.

What I want to know is how accurate are these guns USUALLY? The range I go to was not exactly thrilled with me shooting the surplus ammo because they said the rounds were so powerful they were damaging their steel targets. I told them, as they had requested, that I would not shoot at the steel, but only the paper targets. Their comment was that many military surplus guns, including Mosins, weren't "reliable' in terms of accuracy and that some rounds would most likely find there way to the steel targets that were hung on each side of the paper target holders. (I'd say about 3' or 4' away.)

I shot 25 rounds at the target at 100 yards and had NO problems with the rounds staying on target using the iron sights. (see picture) Based on these 25 shots I think I may need to move the windage a touch. I had the elevation as low as it would go.

So...on average, how accurate are these guns? The ranger owner looked through my spotting scope after I'd shot about 10 rounds and told me he had no problem with me shooting the Mosin there, but he said he would still be reluctant with most Mosins. Is the 53 considered more accurate than the M44?

Is it a matter of a problem with the average Mosin's accuracy OR, as I expect, a problem with some shooters not following the rule of not shooting at the steel?
I can't imagine these guns being so popular if they weren't somewhat accurate.

A lot of questions...thanks for any replies. I really like shooting this gun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Celt

Re: Accuracy of Mosin Chinese 53

Post by Celt »

Welcome, these rifles are more accurate than we are. Usually capable of three inch groupings, worst case 6-8 inches. Its just mosin bashing.they are inexpensive so must be crap type attitude. Way to show em!
Keep up the good work. Get yourself a9130 and see for yourself.
;mywink;
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

This is from an average condition bore 9130 at about 125 yards mostly off hand and shooting sticks (home made) with a below average shooter...me :D

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Joethehuman

Post by Joethehuman »

My type 53 is one of my best shooters, Next time I take it out I will snap some pics. It did pretty well last time, I think around 5in at 100.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

What ammo you shoot can make a difference in POI and crown wear can also make them inaccurate. They also will shoot different with the bayonet extrended. I'm not sure about the carbines and but the M91/30s were sighted with the bayonet fixed and it changes barrel harmonics, changing POI. Like Celt said they're pretty accurate.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think you showed them just fine, and some may be more accurate than the next. Celt said it right, 6-8 moa at 100 in a worst case situation, and that is good enough to keep from tearing up their steel target frames. Glad you joined us. I really like your screen name too! :thumbsup:
RugerFan

Post by RugerFan »

I had read about the bayonet being extended was how they were sighted so that's how I shoot it...plus you have to admit the gun just looks cooler WITH the bayonet out! I know ammo can make a difference too. I was shooting from a surplus tin of 440 rounds and have no idea what kind or how old it is.

I personally consider the grouping I got to be pretty accurate...especially with no scope. I know my Mosin was hitting green with MUCH more accuracy than a guy shooting a Henry (with scope) in the lane next to me.
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

What you shot looks about what your going to get, might get a little better on the bench, here's my T53( Mo Sin Lee ) at 100 yds, bench, bulgarian silver tip surplus. My M38 is a little better than the T53.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, the range owners are idiots if that is what they think. What they were really saying is that they lacked faith in your shooting skills to be able to keep the rifle on target. The type 53 is capable of 3-4 MOA at 100 yards when it's bore and crown are in good condition and you do your part, often they will shoot even better than that.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RugerFan

Post by RugerFan »

In defense of the range owners...I know that some of their steel targets HAVE been damaged and those things aren't cheap. I believe the damage was due more to idiot shooters more so than inaccurate guns. Even though they make it clear that the steel targets are not to be shot at with steel ammo I think a few bad apples are going to make it bad for the rest of us. I'm afraid the range, like several have already done, will just ban the steel ammo totally.

Thanks again for the replies. This Mosin has become my favorite. Best $140 I can remember spending.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Most ban steel core ammo for fire risk reasons, they can spark on contact with stones and steel targets.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

RugerFan wrote:I had read about the bayonet being extended was how they were sighted so that's how I shoot it...plus you have to admit the gun just looks cooler WITH the bayonet out! I know ammo can make a difference too. I was shooting from a surplus tin of 440 rounds and have no idea what kind or how old it is.

I personally consider the grouping I got to be pretty accurate...especially with no scope. I know my Mosin was hitting green with MUCH more accuracy than a guy shooting a Henry (with scope) in the lane next to me.
Oh I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome! Yeah the bayonet extended does get attention. If you have a picture of the writing on the tin we can tell you where it was made and what year it is. If you don't have the tin a picture of the headstamp on a round will work.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rifle, the rifle looks cooler with the bayonet out, your daddys shotgun is a gun, the type 53 is a rifle.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Sorry you may think it looks cooler with the bayonet extended while shooting but I sure think it makes us as Milsurp shooters look like a bunch of nut cases and radicals. It will shoot just fine if adjusted (if necessary) to allow for the bayonet not being there or not being extended. Most 91/30's and M91's I own and shoot do just fine without a bayonet being on or extended and draw far less attention to them selves and us as a class of shooter. All my bayonets sit on a shelf in the safes and I believe you (JYD) profess to having yours in a box and rarely see the light of day and have never gone to the range. Bill ;mywink;
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Also a good way for someone to get stabbed in the ass by accident. SOme ranges will not allow it at all.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Also a good way for someone to get stabbed in the ass by accident. SOme ranges will not allow it at all.

Dang why did I have to get a visual picture of that when you said it? :pointup: Man this sure makes my date different! Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nothing to complain about in the accuracy dept. there, RugerFan! 8-) Good shooting. My Type 53 is one of my deer hunting rifles, so I need Minute-of-Deer accuracy, and I get that easily with my 'Black Dragon II".

It's named Black Dragon II after member Ron7.62's Type 53, also in an ATI stock for hunting. I have the original, beaver-chewed stock still, and it stays with the rifle, but I sure find the ATI synthetic stock nice for deer hunting. With Ron7.62's handloads, I get heart/lung accuracy at 100 yds. Now, to see a deer when I'm hunting with it...... :|
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Minute of deer .... :)
Theodore Roosevelt
RugerFan

Post by RugerFan »

WeldonHunter wrote:
RugerFan wrote:I had read about the bayonet being extended was how they were sighted so that's how I shoot it...plus you have to admit the gun just looks cooler WITH the bayonet out! I know ammo can make a difference too. I was shooting from a surplus tin of 440 rounds and have no idea what kind or how old it is.

Oh I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome! Yeah the bayonet extended does get attention. If you have a picture of the writing on the tin we can tell you where it was made and what year it is. If you don't have the tin a picture of the headstamp on a round will work.
Here's the only picture of the ammo tin that I have. I forgot about posting it in an earlier thread where someone said they thought it was Russian surplus made in 1982. The rim of each round has the numbers 82 and 60 on them.

If this is indeed 1982 Russian would it possibly be non-corrosive? When I cleaned it after my last trip to the range, after firing 25 rounds, the barrel was very clean when I did a flush. The previous time, using the same ammo, I got a good bit of "black gunk" in the water...this time nothing? Makes me wonder if the previous cleaning was still getting traces of cosmolin out of the barrel?

Thanks again for the replies from everyone.