1st shots

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mikerb55

1st shots

Post by mikerb55 »

I fianlly got to shoot my '39 Izhevsk yesterday. I started out with the 46gr training ammo, and after 12 rounds moved right to the 174gr FMJ's. What a fun rifle to shoot. It's been years since I used open sights, so the target was only at 50 yds. The wind was howlin' like a banshee from left to right, so everything on the target was up and to the right, but on the paper. I can't wait for a calmer day so I can try some 100 yd. shots. The 3 guys that came with me now all want a MN. I can't wait to use this to hunt with next fall. It's time to look for the next Mosin! :D :D :D
John Wayne as John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
pacanis

Re: 1st shots

Post by pacanis »

Cool 8-) Sounds like fun.
I'm going to put some rounds through the one I could not get to load properly here shortly. The winds are much calmer than they were yesterday.
I don't find the distance as much of a problem as I do simply getting my eye to focus on both sights properly. It's no too bad with my Mosins, but is quite a chore with my Spanish Mauser.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Sounds like you had fun! I too am anxious to get out and shoot with some distance. Right now I am forced indoors with 25 yards max. I shot just to shoot and got the sights adjusted so its at least close. But once the outdoor range opens back up, I will be first in line at the gate :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

MN Fan wrote:Sounds like you had fun! I too am anxious to get out and shoot with some distance. Right now I am forced indoors with 25 yards max. I shot just to shoot and got the sights adjusted so its at least close. But once the outdoor range opens back up, I will be first in line at the gate :)
OK, so shooting at 50 yds, where should I slide the rear sight to? I left it all the way back. Also, should I move the front sight to the left? :?:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
Drago

Post by Drago »

I'm glad you got to shoot, next time take PICS!!! :)
p-t-max

Post by p-t-max »

mikerb55 wrote:[
OK, so shooting at 50 yds, where should I slide the rear sight to? I left it all the way back. Also, should I move the front sight to the left? :?:
Since the first mark on the sight is set at 100 yards, I guess you need to leave it all the way back and aim low. You could try drawing a very fine bead first, to see how that works. If your shots are hitting to the right, you need to move the front sight to the right to move your shots to the left.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I've got to slide my front sight, too. It was already way to the right and I'm hitting 4" left at 50 yds. And here I thought I would get lucky. It was probably dropped and moved, lol. I'm going to order one of those tools.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

+1. Yep, just like the Max said :)

I wouldn't worry too much about adjusting the sight at 50 yards. If you're on the paper, that's close enough for now. Once you get to 100 yards, then you can confidently sight it in. The range I am going to is 200 yard max. For kicks, I am going to bench shoot and sight for 100 yards, then see what difference I get at 200. There's a 600 yard range down the road, but they won't allow military surplus rifles :roll:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Just remember that the sight is graduated in meters, not yards. After the Revolution, the commies went to the Metric system, so M91/30s and probably all of the other post WWI Russian-manufactured weapon sight elevators were in meters.

I have one gun that shoots high at 100 yards (about like yours) and I take the same hold and make no sight adjustment at 200. It's even still a little high at that range. My Tula shoots a bit low, so I crank it up to about 300 meters and it is pretty much on at 200 yards. I have one carbine that shoots high and one that it right on at 100 yards with the sight set at 100. You get my point. You just have to play around with these things and realize that they are combat sights and they are not going to be target guns (unless maybe you have a scoped sniper). Have fun!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

Drago wrote:I'm glad you got to shoot, next time take PICS!!! :)
Sorry, I forgot to take a camera. Will do it next time. :wink:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-) 8-) :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)