Rarest 8mm mauser ammo?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Rarest 8mm mauser ammo?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I forget, but the number 154 seems to stick in my memory, in any event they were a bit light I think.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

The few I have look like they have laid in a pink goo the outsides looked horrible. I didnt buy them to shoot though.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I got mine in crates of 1000 rounds, they looked fine, but the crates were plain wood, the rounds in cardboard boxes inside They were not protected from the air.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

There's the pink stuff that was on them I cleaned up most but these just wouldnt clean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No idea what that is, could be discoloration caused by contact with some chemical.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:No idea what that is, could be discoloration caused by contact with some chemical.

I just asked Joe about this. He has a massive collection of 8mm. Don't know if he'll come in and post or just tell me. As for the pink stuff I can't really tell by the pictures. I have some German DAG and MEN in 7.62x51 NATO that has pink looking corrosion on the cases. There was a bunch of this ammo being sold a few years ago and a lot of it has this. I was told it's some sort of reaction to acid cardboard packs it's in. It's from the 80s and 90s though. It's in green vinyl 200rd battle packs. Don't if it's related.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have seen some corrosion from exposure to cardboard, that tends to be grayish in color, like bad tarnish. I picked up a 400 round can of Lack City M2 ball because of this once. Nothing wrong with how the ammo shoots, but I clean each round before it gets near the rifles.
Theodore Roosevelt
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

The cardboard these came out of look like it was gray at one time but the grease has turned it a greenish color.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Grease, there is your clue, something dripped on the boxes and reacted with the cardboard and maybe directly on the metal itself.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Ok I talked to Joe and he said the question is a bit to broad to really say. It all depends on what you like to collect. I told him the rarest 8mm Mauser cartridge would be the first one ever produced, unfired. I was joking of course. What he did say was probably the rarest would be "WWII German 7.92x57 depleted uranium core would be a prize. Some people claim they never produced any." He says if that's true then why are there drawings of them in the archives?
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

WeldonHunter wrote:Ok I talked to Joe and he said the question is a bit to broad to really say. It all depends on what you like to collect. I told him the rarest 8mm Mauser cartridge would be the first one ever produced, unfired. I was joking of course. What he did say was probably the rarest would be "WWII German 7.92x57 depleted uranium core would be a prize. Some people claim they never produced any." He says if that's true then why are there drawings of them in the archives?
Now that may be interesting :beek: , I knew there was a tungsten carbide core 8mm Mauser round, but even that doesn't compare to depleted uranium.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would love to find one, but need lead gloves to touch it.
Theodore Roosevelt
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

Uranium core 8mm mauser what wouldn't they try.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

VKT1941 wrote:Uranium core 8mm mauser what wouldn't they try.
This would be one of the milder Nazi super weapon experiments.
Theodore Roosevelt
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

True they did some horrible things.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Did yes, many horrible things, but I was talking about the almost amazing creativity were it came to superweapons. Rockets like the V1, V2, and the never flown V3 , the flying wings and jet planes, radar invisible aircraft, nuclear development. Some of this stuff was a pipe dream, others so important that we shipped entire German development teams to secret locations in the US and put them to work. That was our horrible thing, we employed and protected people guilty of crimes against humanity in exchange for getting a leg up on the Soviets. We did similar things with the Japanese, employing their version of Dr Mengele to make biological weapons for us after he had murdered tens of thousands of Chinese, and Allied POW's in bio weapon experiments.
Theodore Roosevelt
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

They were ahead if their time. You can thank them for aspirin too haha.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

VKT1941 wrote:They were ahead if their time. You can thank them for aspirin too haha.
And from what I understand Methamphetamine which I've heard Hilter himself was very fond of.
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

I've heard stories that they gave it too the the ss soliders to keep them up and not be able to feel pain.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

VKT1941 wrote:I've heard stories that they gave it too the the ss soliders to keep them up and not be able to feel pain.
Also to curb hunger.