Just Arrived...1895 Sestroryetsk Finn M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
catcracker

Re: Just Arrived...1895 Sestroryetsk Finn M91

Post by catcracker »

Bump
Sorry I bumped this thread. But didn't want to do a backstory on this M91 again. (Lazy)

I have not been able to purchase anything for a while. Hospital bills, etc. So I don't get to post much. But for the first time this year, I got to go to the range Friday. Oh what a wonderful day. Perfect temperature. Slight overcast. And very few people out at the range. I had one of my best MNs out for the first time. The one from this thread. I was a little worried with it being so old. And failing "the bullet going in too far at the end of the barrel" test. But everything worked as it should. This was my first time firing a Finn, so I was not used to the trigger. Wow, doesn't take much to set it off. I was at the 100 foot range. First ten rounds did not hit the target. But I could not see where they were going. So I had some guys spot me, and shot 5 more. First one was a foot high. I adjusted, and the rest hit the target. I am guessing if the lowest setting is 300 meters, then it should shot high at 100 feet. Is that correct? Well, I was happy that after 118 years, that at least it still worked. I don't think I will shoot it too much more. But I really like it. Spent the rest of the time shooting my trusty Hex Tula 33. Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, and fun.
Looking back on this post, there really isn't too much information to share. It just seems that a great day deserved a little forum time.

Thank you for your ear. (eyes)

Cat
Celt

Post by Celt »

No...thank you! That is one beautiful long gun you've got there!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I love the tiger stripped wood
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Nice score :thumbsup: That has to be the sharpest barrel markings I've seen
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Great price on that one. Good show!
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

nice rifle. I'm jealous
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Catcracker, don't think you have to buy a new rifle just to have a reason to post. I am glad you got to take this one to the range. It sounds like it shoots and cycles good, and it's common to shoot high anyway. Did you mean 100 yards, rather than 100 feet?
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

They call it 100 yards. But it can't be. That is a football field. I would say its about a 1/3 of a football field. So who really knows.
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
No more bumps on this, I promise.
Cat
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

bunkysdad wrote:Catcracker that is a gorgeous rifle. My only issue is....... don't be so hard on it pointing out the faults. 118 years old? None of what you mention could hardly qualify as a fault. That it has survived without being destroyed by someone is a 100% positive. No faults found on this one buddy.
You have to realize this rifle is almost 120 years old... I could only hope I would look that good after that long.

Awesome rifle!!!! :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

TulaTom wrote:Definitely Mosin Showcase worthy. Beautiful rifle! :thumbsup: The nicest Sestroryetsk stamp I've seen. Throw in that stock and you have something very special. :Drool1:
Yes. Put it on the Showcase. :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ok I am glad this got brought up again. I love looking at this rifle!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

bunkysdad wrote:Ok I am glad this got brought up again. I love looking at this rifle!

It does not take much encouragement to look at this rifle for sure! I would take and open the crack a bit and hit it from under the butt plate with the thin super glue then clampi it right away and that crack will more than likely disappear if it bothers you. They often crack in that area and sometimes it is cause by the butt plate screw. That sure is some nice wood! Bill :D
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

sent you a pm lead on sling parts you needed. I didnt realize was old thread...

Awesome rifle
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Old thread but great post. I'm glad I saw it. That is a beautiful Sestroryetsk.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads if their good ones like this. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

catcracker wrote:
Bump
Sorry I bumped this thread. But didn't want to do a backstory on this M91 again. (Lazy)

I have not been able to purchase anything for a while. Hospital bills, etc. So I don't get to post much. But for the first time this year, I got to go to the range Friday. Oh what a wonderful day. Perfect temperature. Slight overcast. And very few people out at the range. I had one of my best MNs out for the first time. The one from this thread. I was a little worried with it being so old. And failing "the bullet going in too far at the end of the barrel" test. But everything worked as it should. This was my first time firing a Finn, so I was not used to the trigger. Wow, doesn't take much to set it off. I was at the 100 foot range. First ten rounds did not hit the target. But I could not see where they were going. So I had some guys spot me, and shot 5 more. First one was a foot high. I adjusted, and the rest hit the target. I am guessing if the lowest setting is 300 meters, then it should shot high at 100 feet. Is that correct? Well, I was happy that after 118 years, that at least it still worked. I don't think I will shoot it too much more. But I really like it. Spent the rest of the time shooting my trusty Hex Tula 33. Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, and fun.
Looking back on this post, there really isn't too much information to share. It just seems that a great day deserved a little forum time.

Thank you for your ear. (eyes)

Cat
See, never worry until after the range test if a rifle will shoot or not. The Finns would be unlikely to have passed and SA stamped a rifle that wouldn't shoot at all. Balkan rifles were used until every round keyholed, or so it seems, but the Finns had a higher standard.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rongo wrote:Nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads if their good ones like this. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Remember on the old board when we would see six year old threads come back from the dead ? :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt