At the range, no bang... Help please

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zedteamk2

At the range, no bang... Help please

Post by zedteamk2 »

Ok. I'm out trying to shoot, but with no luck.
I pull the trigger, and nothing. I eject the round, and there is a small dent I. The back.
What's wrong?
I checked the firing pin according to the video on this site. It's just touching the smaller hole, and not touching the deeper hole.
Thanks!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: At the range, no bang... Help please

Post by millman »

What ammo are you using?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

could be weak firing pin spring.Has the bolt been cleaned of packing grease? :?:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

If a variety of diffrent ammo is doing it then it is the firing pin spring or firing pin or very loose head space.

IF it is just one type of ammo then it just may be a bad batch of primers, particularly if they will not go off in another rifle.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

Heartzers ammo so far. About to try the mil surplus. I checked head spacing with an okie gauge and all was good. I did clean the bolt.
Is there an adjustment for spring tension on the spring? I remember having to tighten something when I was assembling it.
Celt

Post by Celt »

You could turn the firing pin one turn out and try.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

+1 on what Celt said. :thumbsup: :pointup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ok, but what does that mean to someone thay may not be familiar with the lingo? With the bolt out of the gun, turn the firing pin counterclockwise, using the part of the bolt that has a slotted piece that fits over the flat sides of the firing pin. Half turn at a time to keep the marks in line on the end of the cocking piece. Ok, what does this do? It makes the firing pin protrusion a little longer so it strikes the primer deeper. The reason we check the protrusion with the tool is so it isn't too deep to avoid punching a hole in the primer.
Celt

Post by Celt »

You can use the slot in the pin tool also, less wear and tear on your bolt piece.
Nice walk through though! Much more informative. :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

Looks like my last post from out in the field did not post... lousy reception.
I tried adjusting the firing pin, got it as close the Max as possible, no luck.
Is there a way to test the spring?
It's defiantly clicking and hitting the round, just leaving a small dent.
I really appreciate the quick responses !
Celt

Post by Celt »

You can try stretching the spring some but it would only be a temp fix. If tart makes it go bang you can order a new spring from liberty tree.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Do you have another firing pin you can compare against for length? I have seen damaged firing pins that were not long enough for a positive primer strike.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Celt

Post by Celt »

websterz wrote:Do you have another firing pin you can compare against for length? I have seen damaged firing pins that were not long enough for a positive primer strike.
Good idea!
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

Ok, i noticed in another post "

"Jar of grease for "sale"... (pics)"
The flat head screw at the back of the bolt is all the way to the end.
Mine is no where that far back, could that be the problem ?
Celt

Post by Celt »

That would mean you have it extended out pretty far but still passes. Might need a new fp.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

It's screwed in deeper than flush, or sticking out above flush with the cocking knob?

Celt

Post by Celt »

Think it's negative of the cocking knob.
Correct? Which would mean that it's short. The tip is worn or broken.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have never heard of Hertners ammo. There is a lot of , "new", ammo on the street now that is sub par. I would try the ammo in another Mosin if possible. If you have used the gauges to set the pin it can usually only mean bad ammo, hard primers, or a weak spring.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
cappra

Post by cappra »

Herters is a popular ammo handled by Cabela's.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I heard that herters has a bad batch or 2 of x39 but that was a while ago. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)