I'm here

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
OLD OUTLAW

Re: I'm here

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

MN Fan wrote:Hey Boomer, welcome! I look forward to your input! And don't worry, we won't hold Outlaw against you! :mrgreen:
Wolfy, behave or I will take my SKS and go home! :lol:
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

lol, don't do that! I am just now starting to figure out all the differences when looking at a rack of SKSs! Your recent comparison post was a big help!

I am still digging around for your "77" stamp. I thought I was onto something earlier today when I checked Russian Honor Guard symbols, but no luck. I even sent the photo to an Arabic speaking friend just in case. As of right now, I had to say that you own the only rifle of any kind in the entire world that has that stamp!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Drago

Post by Drago »

Hey Boomer! I'm surprised you haven't found this board sooner! Good to see you over and welcome.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:alien: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome Boomer. Nice to see you here. I think you'll like it on this side of the tracks. Not much bubba gun action here either.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Welcome boomer34 :clap: , glad to see you, I read many of your avg. price postings elsewhere(keeping avg. prices in mind saved me some serious guess work when I went hunting my 2 Russian SKSs, Thanks), hope you find the atmosphere here enjoyable, I do :toast:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
boomer34

Post by boomer34 »

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'll do what I can to help, But being an expert is some way off for me. Happy to see some of my old friends here including Old Outlaw. I will not venture very far from the Russian SKS, that is a large enough handful for my pocket book. Happy Holidays to all. :D
Greatguns

Post by Greatguns »

Hey Boomer, I'd welcome you but you were here before me. :D :D
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Welcome Boomer!

Looks like a big group of guys who already know each other well. Glad to have all of you here.... Make yourselves at home. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :toast:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Good guys too. I mentioned to Drago that I don't post in their topics often simply because I have no clue what to say. But, I read everything these guys say with great interest and am starting to feel a bit more comfortable when out looking at a random SKS. I hope you all continue to share your extensive knowledge and collections. Its not going to waste on this guy!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Tell ya what Wolf man, there are a number of us come here because we are called "Purists" and we want it to stay that way.
That is why I was the one to request the preservation statement for this forum. Thank You for adding it Dolk!

You now have some really expert opinions available on any SKS rifle. I know I can speak for all of us in stating that
we will be glad to help you with our knowledge and help preserve some of the SKS rifles. There are many Chinese and Yugo rifles in this Country,
but alas the others are very few and not being imported either. Visualize it this way, for every Russian cut up or modified by Bubba or
the video gamers to make a Tacticool rifle like in films and video clips, the availability to us goes down. Lack of these drives the market price higher all the time.
In a few more years, most of us may not even be able to find let alone afford a Russian. And a few other types.

What would the prices be if there were no more Moisins coming in? Say they were banned from import like the SKS Russians are. Plus Bubba was cutting and modifying every thing they could get their hands on. History would be lost except for the ones a Purist owned. Yes, I am a Purist, and a darn hard core one.
I am often criticized and have been more than once told to shut up because of my beliefs. Not here of course. But I'm a proud Purist and hence I migrated here.
Steve
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I'm listening to ya' Outlaw :)

Just down the road is a really nice Russian SKS. It stands out proud and loud from the others around it. Its the one I have seen so far that I really, truly want. Except...this one has been converted to a 30 round mag and the original pieces don't exist any longer. If it wouldn't have been for you all and the posts I've read on here, I most likely would have never known it was a conversion. I mean, it looks like the ones in the movies after all.

As I mentioned to Drago recently, I can now walk up to a rack and know the difference between a Russian, a Yugo and a Norinco. But, its the details I need to focus on now.

Y'all keep posting...I'm going to keep reading :)

Thanks guys...
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I was surprised to see these guys over here after knowing them on the other forum. I'm glad they're here though. I'm a purist too and proud of it. Anyone can cut and hack away at sometthing making a monstrosity that only a few people will apprecitate but it takes a special appreciation of a rifle to keep it as it was origianlly produced. This is what we all have here and it's what sets this forum apart from most. I've told people this before, I'm registered on more than 65 forums but the total post count for all of them doesn't equal the count I have here. There's a reason for that. I'm home. Great bunch of guys here.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

MN Fan wrote:I'm listening to ya' Outlaw :)

Just down the road is a really nice Russian SKS. It stands out proud and loud from the others around it. Its the one I have seen so far that I really, truly want. Except...this one has been converted to a 30 round mag and the original pieces don't exist any longer. If it wouldn't have been for you all and the posts I've read on here, I most likely would have never known it was a conversion. I mean, it looks like the ones in the movies after all.

As I mentioned to Drago recently, I can now walk up to a rack and know the difference between a Russian, a Yugo and a Norinco. But, its the details I need to focus on now.

Y'all keep posting...I'm going to keep reading :)

Thanks guys...
If you see one you have interest in, see if they will let you take a few pics. Then I think we can really help you.
There are key aspects to look for on a Russian. If you need help, post or PM any of us.
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

I'm just here to keep you in line Outlaw. :biggrin:
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

sheepdog wrote:I'm just here to keep you in line Outlaw. :biggrin:
I would be disappointed if you weren't Sheep Dog!
Greatguns

Post by Greatguns »

MN man, here is a great website to glean off of as well. It is an info site with most, if not all, of the info known to date about the SKS and its variants.
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm.BAK It is to the SKS what Ted's info site 7.62x54r.net is to the MN pretty much
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Thanks sheepdog! I will be reading through this while eating dinner tonight :)

Don't tell the others, but I did sneak in and took a peek at one today. I strolled up to the counter with all my new found knowledge and was instantly lost lol. First, there was no date or arsenal stamp. So right away, I don't even know what year it is, let alone what arsenal. :oops:

I took some cell phone photos, but they are worthless. If from this brief, newbie description you all think its worth going in for another look, I'll see if I can get the camera in there.

First off, the stock is very similar to millman's '54 Tula. It has the same contrasting stock and handguard wood grain patterns. Also, it is very similar in color. I hope you don't mind me borrowing your photo millman (nice SKS btw! :) )

The second thing I noticed is the stock stamp is orientated different that most I've seen. This photo is similar, but the markings were closer to the butt plate:

Finally, I looked for an import mark. I assumed it would be similar to what you see on a Mosin. I couldn't find anything but markings similar to this:

Over-all, it looks like its in excellent shape, it doesn't appear to have any refurb work done on it. It does have a bayonet, no sling. I admit, there's a lot more to this than I know. Not having a date or arsenal stamp made me nervous...and intrigued at the same time.

Any clue?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

It'd say first off it has a replacement bolt cover and that's why there's not date or arsenal stamp. It's possible someone put a bolt cover with scope mount like the one I have and then sold the gun that way not giving the buyer the old cover. Then someone else replaced that cover with an aftermarket bolt cover. Unless the guy has the original cover. I don't know but I'd ask. That is unless some of these came with no markings on the bolt cover.

Steve asked me to get him pictures of the end of the gas tube and the bayonet mount to help nail down when/where mine was made. Oh and one other thing. How much is he asking for it?
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hmm, I bet you're right Weldon. That makes sense. So far, its been hard to even find an unmolested SKS of any type around here and it makes sense this is just like any other.

Omaha has a bad vibe when it comes to SKSs. I may end up having to wait for the CCR.

Thanks for your input. It makes sense.

Rack price is $450. I haven't dealt with these guys before, its a different pawnshop, but I assume I could get it down to $400 without too much trouble.