K-31 or K-11?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
polymerase2

K-31 or K-11?

Post by polymerase2 »

If I had to chose one (or the first of possible several) Which would it be? I think I mean Swiss 1911, not the carbine.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: K-31 or K-11?

Post by Darryl »

polymerase2 wrote:If I had to chose one (or the first of possible several) Which would it be? I think I mean Swiss 1911, not the carbine.
K-11 are a little harder to find I think, but not too bad.
I like the shorter K31 myself. easier to handle.

But either is a nice rifle.

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

From a collectible standpoint I like the k11 but as a shooter the k31 has improvements to the bolt and receiver that make them very durable. So the answer is simple. GET ALL 3. k11 rifle, k11 carbine, and k31! Although the k11 carbine and k31 are about the same length the k31 has a longer barrel.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get them all, it's only money, just go explain the the bank that you need a loan to buy some guns, they will understand :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Get them all, it's only money, just go explain the the bank that you need a loan to buy some guns, they will understand :lol:
Sounds totally reasonable to me! 8-)

On a side... Never ask a "Which should I get" question on a gun forum & expect to get a narrowed down answer. :lol:

Get them all.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

I don't have a K11 but I will someday. As to the getting part I'd buy which ever one I come across first. Of my Schmidt Rubin rifles I really like the 1896/11. Mine is an antique because it was built before 1898 and is an early rifle. But I have a 1911 and two K31's one of which has dipper sights on it. The Swiss really know how to build a rifle and take care of it. If you get a K31 take her down and look at that trigger mechanism WOW what a piece of art. I also have a Vetterli and an 1889 and I shoot them all they are among my favorite rifles.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

In the few years I have been "obsessing" about vintage military bolt action rifles, I realize that I want them to shoot reasonably accurately. The one rifle I have with a bad crown has gone to the "trade goods" section of the closet. All of the others shoot at least 3 to 4 MOA. Adding that fact, I have to chose one for now or else SWMBO will be unhappy. So I think the K-31 would be a good first introduction to the Swiss.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If the K-11 is the same price i would get it first as it is a harder one to find and usually more expensive. My local haunt has a 96/11 and it is going for about $400 if the price drops i will buy it before a k-31. SWMBO must be obeyed or she might use one of your favorites to poke a hole. :o
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

I like the K31. It shoots to point of aim due to it's 100 yard sight setting. I have enough grief with the Mosin's and shooting high. :lol:
lonesome

Post by lonesome »

You really can't go wrong with either. All of them are accurate (unless they have been abused, which is rare), and all of them are built beautifully.

The 1911 or 96/11, it has been said (and debated), is the most accurate of all the Swiss rifles. The problem there is if you are not shooting long distances. They are sighted in for 300 meters and will shoot high at anything less than that, unless you get (or improvise) a tall front sight. A K31 will shoot to point of aim and their accuracy is just about on par with the 1911.

If you are into aesthetics, the 96/11 is probably the way to go. Just knowing that these rifles were converted from the 1896 to the 1911 form and seeing how beautifully done they are, is quite astounding. If you just want an accurate shooter and you normally shoot 100 yards or less, I would get a K31 first. K11s are also cool, but not better shooters than the K31. The best thing about them is that they are harder to find.

I can almost guarantee, though, if you buy one, you will be hooked and buy more. If you think Mosinitis is bad, wait til the Swiss Flu gets you. These rifles are so addictive.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I know I want to buy both of them. I also know I will be in seriously crossed the line deep do if I do. Maybe an extra $300 wil appear by magic? Mayby politicials will be honest and work for all of their constituents.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:lol: Sure pal
polymerase2 wrote:Mayby politicials will be honest and work for all of their constituents.
:shock: So much to say here but against the forum rules????
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

I was up at Sovereign Guns the other day and they had a bunch of K-11's They do a lot of selling on GunBroker. They are out of Fuquay-Varina , NC and they are really nice people. If your looking for one. I don't have one yet, myself. 2 K31's and I've only shot one of them, but that one is a shooter 8-) 8-)
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

:D :D :D :D
SWMBO whom I love dearly told me I should buy my own birthday present. K-31 here I come. I swear I had dropped no hints.

Should I be concerned about headspace?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

polymerase2 wrote::D :D :D :D
SWMBO whom I love dearly told me I should buy my own birthday present. K-31 here I come. I swear I had dropped no hints.

Should I be concerned about headspace?
SWMBO seems rather generous. 8-) 8-) Looks like the title is becoming more periodic. :lol:

I personally never tested my K-31's for headspace. But when I acquire an older variant I'll be sure to test that.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I will wait till I see the rifle. I'll give it a good cleaning and decide if I want to get it headspaced. I ordered it from Classic. They had a lot of good references so I suspect it will be pretty nice.
lonesome

Post by lonesome »

polymerase2 wrote:I will wait till I see the rifle. I'll give it a good cleaning and decide if I want to get it headspaced. I ordered it from Classic. They had a lot of good references so I suspect it will be pretty nice.
I got a beautiful K11 from Classic with a handpick. Tiger stripes and all. Headspace is not really an issue with Swiss rifles, I don't think, but I suppose there's no harm in checking.
lonesome

Post by lonesome »

Oh, and here's hoping you get a nice walnut stock with a troop tag under the buttplate!
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I'm crossing my fingers! Should be here Monday. There was no hand select for this group because they are all supposed to be hand select quality. Well, we'll see.
lonesome

Post by lonesome »

polymerase2 wrote:I'm crossing my fingers! Should be here Monday. There was no hand select for this group because they are all supposed to be hand select quality. Well, we'll see.
Can't wait for the report!