My first black powder rifle!

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
iwuzwhatiwuz

Re: My first black powder rifle!

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

No joke! Modern inline's aren't my thing but I don't think that it is a capital offence to own and enjoy one. I actually spent this evening casting lead balls for my black powder firearms :)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I'll probably grab the triple 7 to start. Although I would like to try some more authentic black powder too. But I'll use what I can get. Either way as long as it shoots. The pioneer stuff sounded really course, like little stones haha. I think there are certain advantages to inlines but I think they lack character. Kinda like comparing one of my mosins to my savage 110. The savage is much more proficient at hitting the target but I have a bigger smile on my face after shooting the mosins and leverguns.I may get one at sometime but I think I'm going to be more than happy with this caplock. I would like to try a flintlock sometime. I have a feeling that I am going to be more of traitional style guy. I love how the replica's of the old caplocks and flintlocks look. With the browned finished and everything. They look increadable!
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have a couple of inlines and they are super accurate. I use them for hunting. The 54 cal inline is a long ago relic as you can not find a bigger cal then 50 anymore. It kicks so hard that i feel it a week before i shoot it. I love that fact about it though. :lol: Does some serious deer put downs. I have a few caplocks too and i love those the same. They are not as far reaching as the inlines though which are both magnums. I am kind of in search of a .58 to round out the cap rifles and hopefully a nice flinter will show in 54 for a cheapo price. The best sub i have found is the goex pinnacle which i just found out was discontinued by the manufacturer. :roll: :lol:
of course. It is dang near impossible to get black powder here so i get it when i go out of town usually. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

iwuzwhatiwuz wrote:No joke! Modern inline's aren't my thing but I don't think that it is a capital offence to own and enjoy one. I actually spent this evening casting lead balls for my black powder firearms :)
I love doing that, cook up a big pot of lead and ladel it out one at a time, in a day I can do about 800-1000 .75 balls for the bell, or a like amount of .69 for the Harpers Ferry, mini balls for the Springfield take me a bit longer.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I'm beginning to think its that difficult to find black powder here too. Exspecially after deer season is over. I don't really go out of town so I may be out of luck with that haha. Guess my only option is ordering it offline. Most of the local gun shops are based around "tactical" things. Not many deal with old style black powder and military stuff. Everyone is always wanting the black rifles and plastic stuff. I have enough of that. I want more metal and wood now :D
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

For dealers it's tougher than for us, a lot of paperwork and storage requirements, they don't want the bother
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Yeah I was talking with one of the guys at the gun shop I visited today, with the american pioneer stuff, and he said there were laws against selling real black powder within the city limits here. Guess it's because it is considered an explosive. It sucks. He did say that he can order any accesories I need. Bullets, patches, and I guess anything else. But I would rather get the tools and cast my own stuff and make my own patches and such.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Some places have rules like that on top of everything else.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Thanks Osama/Obama!
Oops, did i say that out loud?

Don't worry Pony, the Chase is half the fun!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I guess I never expected that down south here. I guess cities have a way of making people do funny things lol. Alot of the city restrictions here are weird. The same with the building codes we have to deal with. Sometimes I wonder who wrote some of it lol. Must have gotten their liscense and diploma from a cracker jack box :lol:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Celt

Post by Celt »

Same dip shits that write the classes i have to take to stay certified...looks good on paper.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Celt wrote:Thanks Osama/Obama!
Oops, did i say that out loud?

Don't worry Pony, the Chase is half the fun!
This is more than likely not new here. Something that has been around a while. I never new of it because this is my first leap into black powder. I was told the other day to go up to NC to find the powder because it isn't as restricted there. Might have to take a saturday and make a trip to hendersonville and see. Its about a 45min to an hour ride. The chase is kinda fun but shooting it would be so much better :D :thumbsup:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Celt wrote:Same dip shits that write the classes i have to take to stay certified...looks good on paper.
Try anything in NY before you complain.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

My family is in Lon Gisland(yes,i know how to pronounce it :wink: ) but i haven't seen them I'm thirty years. They are a but upity.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

But uppity? Do I even want to know? :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well it is a known fact that gun guys tend to be a bull headed highly opinionated bunch. We don't have that here though. :o
Celt

Post by Celt »

:chuckles: :chuckles:

I meant a bit uppity.
F'n snobs.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Celt wrote::chuckles: :chuckles:

I meant a bit uppity.
F'n snobs.
I don't know, not everybody I know who lives out on the Island is a total asshole :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Nope, just my family. I'm just mad cuz at Christmas while i was losing the house they asked how things were going,i told them and not only did they not offer help, they didn't even respond at all. I didn't expect them to but disappointed none the less.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, that sounds like some I know out that way and down state in general.
Theodore Roosevelt