My first black powder rifle!

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: My first black powder rifle!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good way to put my back out also, a coffee can full of .75's runs around 38 pounds a can give or take a pound.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have a dedicated BP range bag and one with other stuff in it. I would never put all that stuff in the possibles. Way to heavy. That is why I have the little pouches with balls in them. They are heavy enough without carrying 100 of each caliber. :shock: Maybe that is why my back is out. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Good way to have the pants fall down .
Hmmm so thats why all these gangsta's have their pants on the ground :shifty: . To much lead round ball in their pockets :lol:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Migrated there from their brains :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

That can't be it then. There isn't that much up there to migrate down :D
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

ponycarman wrote:That can't be it then. There isn't that much up there to migrate down :D
:chuckles:

I have a large tool box I have made in my "possibles box". I thought it would be too big, but it's shrunk considerably in the past month. :biggrin:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Haha maybe if I get a small bag it will keep me from spending too much money :lol:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Celt

Post by Celt »

ponycarman wrote:Haha maybe if I get a small bag it will keep me from spending too much money :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I know, I guess I'm far past that line :lol:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Anyone ever head of or used "american pioneer" powder? I stopped in another shop today and saw some ff. I had never heard of it so I passed. I did get some #11 caps and a box of .454 round balls. :D

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Celt

Post by Celt »

I would go with fff, unless you like large Sparks.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I have to go fff in my pistol. But I can use ff in the rifle. Either ff or fff really I guess.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I used it for a while but dislike it (American pioneer powder). It cleans nice but is very inconsistent as far as shooting. I did use up the pound though. I like the goex brand better and it stays more consistent for me. It may work for you but I am not gonna try any more of it. There also is jim shockeys gold too. Have not tried it though. :D
I use ffg in rifles
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I may just grab a pound of triple seven from academy so I can shoot at least one until I can order some powder. I don't know how course it was. Probably ffg. That seems to be the only thing around here. There isn't much to pick from lol.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

777 is fine in a caplock, it's only flinters that it's problematic in. Remember that this stuff sucks moisture out of the air as fast as corrosive primer residue, only faster, and there is more of it, but on the other hand it cleans very easily with boiling water.
Theodore Roosevelt
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

It seems with American Pioneer Powder people have one of two opinions about the stuff. They either love it - or hate it. I've always wondered if the reason is inconsistent quality between batches. Alliant's Black MZ is regarded as being possibly the best BP sub but it's impossible to find around here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shooters of holy black hate the subs, and sub shooters hate cleaning up after holy black. I don't hold much with the subs myself, but with the past uncertain supply of black powder I had little choice but to use them.
Theodore Roosevelt
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

I have no problem with either. I shoot black powder because it's cheaper and there is TONS of load data. If I was hunting with a modern inline I would use 777 or Buckhorn 209 - most likely.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fastest way to start a food fight on a traditional black powder forum is to mention the word "inline" Like saying "refinish" here. They HATE inlines, not entirely sure why, I haven't spent enough time monitoring the BP forums in some time, I have no time :)
Theodore Roosevelt