A couple more 22s

Rim Fire Firearms
MN Fan

A couple more 22s

Post by MN Fan »

I saw this one on the same used gun rack at Cabela's last week-end. Like the shotgun, I left it behind, but started regretting it as soon as I got home. I called the next morning and sent an email later on and asked if they could put it up until I could get there again. I didn't hear from them for a couple of days and I started feeling pretty lousy that I missed getting this one. But, they did get my email, they remembered me from earlier purchases and sure enough, they had set it in the back office :)

I believe the year is 1946 but I haven't confirmed it yet. It's a Mossberg M44US(b) .22 cal. bolt action training rifle with peep sights. It has a lead lapped bull barrel and are know to be very accurate. This particular one is in very good shape, but I do have to do some cleaning on it as mentioned in the "Surface Rust" thread (thanks again to all for your help and input!). Though the gun looks like it has been around for 65 years, it is in flawless mechanical condition. The bolt is very smooth and the sight adjusts freely. I plan on spending a lot of time with this one getting her cleaned up:

(thanks to bunkysdad for reading and replying to my PMs in regards to possibly losing this one!)

OK, this next one is not a gun I intended to buy. But, the way it came about, I had to buy it and did so without a second thought!

When the ol' boy at Cabela's saw my email about putting the M44 in the office, he remembered me. And, he remembered that I was looking over some lever action 22s when I was there. When I talked on the phone with him yesterday, he told me the rifle was safe in his office and that he had another jewel come in that he thought I would be interested in. When I got there, he was all smiles as he took me back in the office.

It's a new, but pre-owned Henry 22 lever action. A customer had bought it and had to return it (I sensed "angry wife" about this point). Anyway, the box had been opened, but the safety ties, the wrap and paper were all still in place. The rifle had never been taken out of the box. Since it literally had been pre-owned, it went onto the used gun rack for a bit less that the cost of a new rifle. He thought I would like it so put it up as well. This gentlemen has always been pleasant, helpful and a pleasure to be around everytime I am there. Without a second thought, I told him I'd take it. He then said "we're not done dealing yet". Since I was buying 3 guns at once, he dropped the total price even more. Quite a bit more actually. Thought its not the Marlin 39A I wanted, I wouldn't trade this rifle for anything. Having a guy as knowledgable as he is and working out of a large chain store and yet he still remembered me (and doing something as thoughtful as setting a gun aside) made this rifle priceless. Plus the fact that he put the other guns in the office until I could get back to the store simply on my word meant a lot to me in this day and age.

You guys will get this understand this. Ever since I was in my early teens, I have wanted a lever action 22. For one reason or another, I never had one. This was a big day for me finally bringing home a rifle I have wanted for over three decades :)

Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
etprescottazusa91

Re: A couple more 22s

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

That Henry lever .22 is beautiful! I think I want one also.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Thanks et...it seems to be a pretty good lever action. Its really smooth and I think with some practice, a guy could get pretty quick with it too. They had a matching Youth model there also and I thought about it for my daughter but was getting ready to head out to get the Mosins and didn't want to short the fund lol.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have fired a few of the Henrys. They are nice shooters. Don't let it stop your hunt for a 39a, though.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

:biggrin: :biggrin:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow what a haul on the 22's, & maybe the Henry will be shootable by your daughter even without being a youth model. When my son got his Henry back in July naturally the first thing we did was hit the range. I took several of his friends and cousins and believe me there was no shortage of smiles that day. I wrote a simple thank you to Henry and received a personal email back from the president of Henry. When he says he personally answers every email I tend to believe him. It's a great gun backed by a great company and a true joy to own and shoot and is all American made. I too hope to have a 39a and there was a time that I was convinced that a 39a was the only lever action to have, and it is one gun that although a new one tends to be 5-6 hundred bucks nice used ones sometimes can be found for a good deal.8-)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am forever dragging home another .22, you can never have enough of them. Picked up a '44 like that Mossy at a flea market about five years back, real nice shape, and the seller had no clue what it was. I bought a CVA Kentucy rifle off the guy and he tossed in the .22 for $40, a little light surface rust removal later and it's as good as new. Nice lever gun, got three myself, Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, Marlin 1895 in 45/70, and my Winchester '94 .30-30 :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Nice pics.
I had a Marlin Golden 39A. I kick myself in the butt now for selling it, but at the time I was downsizing my gun collection and upsizing my skydiving gear. That gun was one heckuva shooter. It fit me perfect and I never gave putting a scope on it a thought. I could hit anything with that gun. I miss it.
Lever action .22s are great.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I love the Mossberg & who can argue with that Henry lever. Excellent finds. :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
knssrtrd

Post by knssrtrd »

That mossberg will hook you when you get her to the range and find out what a old school 22 can do. The guys back then new how to make a barrel.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Here's one for you MNFan.
The one on the bottom. Winchester model 60. It's the cleanest 1933 rifle I've ever seen. Hard to describe it, the bolt is so tiny and the whole rifle so thin. What a fantastic feeling single shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Man, that does look pretty sweet. In my search for mil-surplus, I keep running across these old .22 oddities that keep following me home. I am starting to figure out that for some reason, there aren't that many Mosins here in the Midwest, but it seems every household has had an old Mossberg. There's two more at Cabela's now that I need to go look at. One I believe is a 144...which WILL come home with me if it is.

I wanted to go shoot today...even went as far to get the guns and ammo loaded up in the truck. My daughter and I stopped for a late lunch on the way. She mentioned she felt like she had a headache coming on and I decided the gun range wasn't the best place for her. I just got over a nasty 24 hour headache myself, so I decided to come back home. She got her amazing good looks from her Mother and she got my wonderful and charming personality ( :mrgreen: ), but she also seemed to inherit my remarkable ability to get disabilitating headaches at the most inconvenient times too.

I am off all week, so we're going to try tomorrow. The guns are still in the cases...so I have high hopes!

Hey, go buy that .22 so you can show us some better photos! :toast:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

My little Ruger 10/22 does me just fine :D
The last thing I need to do is find another gun to collect :lol:
I could buy 3-4 Mosins for what he's asking for that .22 :shock: