First pic post -my restoration Paratrooper SKS

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.

What should I do with the bayonet, leave it or blast it for appearance sake?

Leave it.
92%
Blast it.
8%

Total votes: 12

Greatguns

First pic post -my restoration Paratrooper SKS

Post by Greatguns »

Well, figured I might as well play a little to get more familiar with how this particular forum works as opposed to the others I am on so am posting up a recent restoration project. First a little about me on this. I am a tinkerer as many here who know me from other forums, etc. will testify. I used to work in a gunsmithing shop and have gotten more into building, restoring, modifying, and tinkering with firearms than collecting them. I used to have a decent sized collection but had to sell all but 1 SKS off due to work/finance problems a few years back. I now have 3 SKSs and 2 pistols and am trying to latch onto a Finn MN and an ex-sniper MN in a trade deal.
Anyway, I thought you guys might like to see what I just finished up after tracking down the period correct parts to get this Paratrooper back as close to original as possible, although realizing without replacing the barrel with a 20" one it will never get back to its true original state. Some of you, of course, have seen this before, but not completely done. So what I have is as follows; a 1967 /26\ Chinese SKS arsenal modified into a Paratrooper for the US market. action is matching except mag. This is how it looked when I got it. MC-5D stock was butchered to accept the 20rnd box mag.

Knowing how ugly it looked I replaced the stock and mag to a more traditional 'bubba' look(yeah, I know, but bear with me here :wink: )

Well, then I got to thinking about the matching Paratrooper I used to have that I had to get rid of so I changed it again. Looks a lot better but the stock was refinished before I got it and, while it looks nice, is not original color(as can be seen as compared to the HG) and had a non-matching number and it was for a pinned barrel set up so I had to file the cross bolt for fit. Also, the bayonet was a cut down from full length spike that was really too fat for the slot cut out.

Well recently I came across a non-matching Chinese SKS that had a no numbered, original finish, side sling mount stock so I swapped out stocks, cut down a cleaning rod to Paratrooper size, and decided(for now at least) to install a cut down Albanian spike bayonet I got from AIM Surplus. I had the collar spring and screw already and the Alby bayonet is thinner than the Chinese so when it was cut down it looked more correct. Stock is a better match to the HG than the other one too. The only issue is that it is black. I like the black look but I could easily blast it to achieve the correct appearance for the carbine. What do you guys think on the bayo?
Last edited by Greatguns on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Re: First pic post -my restoration Paratrooper SKS

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

[quote="Greatguns"]Well, figured I might as well play a little to get more familiar with how this particular forum works as opposed to the others I am on so am posting up a recent restoration project. First a little about me on this. I am a tinkerer as many here who know me from other forums, etc. will testify. I used to work in a gunsmithing shop and have gotten more into building, restoring, modifying, and tinkering with firearms than collecting them. I used to have a decent sized collection but had to sell all but 1 SKS off due to work/finance problems a few years back. I now have 3 SKSs and 2 pistols and am trying to latch onto a Finn MN and an ex-sniper MN in a trade deal. The Finn is a parts rifle but the Ex-sniper will more than likely be a restore job, possibly into a replica of its original state.(PU sniper)
quote]
Please do not "restore" your ex sniper. It is an EX for some reason, and was made that way by the Russians. It is in it's proper configuration now, and to "restore" it is just the making of another bubba fake. This is a preservation forum, and we do not condone changing mil-surp rifles from their proper configuration.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... m.php?f=33
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Greatguns

Post by Greatguns »

millman wrote:
Greatguns wrote:Well, figured I might as well play a little to get more familiar with how this particular forum works as opposed to the others I am on so am posting up a recent restoration project. First a little about me on this. I am a tinkerer as many here who know me from other forums, etc. will testify. I used to work in a gunsmithing shop and have gotten more into building, restoring, modifying, and tinkering with firearms than collecting them. I used to have a decent sized collection but had to sell all but 1 SKS off due to work/finance problems a few years back. I now have 3 SKSs and 2 pistols and am trying to latch onto a Finn MN and an ex-sniper MN in a trade deal. The Finn is a parts rifle but the Ex-sniper will more than likely be a restore job, possibly into a replica of its original state.(PU sniper)
Please do not "restore" your ex sniper. It is an EX for some reason, and was made that way by the Russians. It is in it's proper configuration now, and to "restore" it is just the making of another bubba fake. This is a preservation forum, and we do not condone changing mil-surp rifles from their proper configuration.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... m.php?f=33
Well, I don't actually own it yet, but okay, wasn't really thinking about it that way. I was thinking that putting it back into a scoped configuration would be the proper configuration as originally issued by the Red Army, but I do see your point that it is a decommissioned rifle, re-arsenaled at the factory and re-issued as a standard rifle and thus should stay that way. "Restoring" it would only make another replica which would further devalue the originals. Got it. :oops: I will edit my OP accordingly
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Thank you Greatguns.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nice job on the SKS revamp. There is a SKS here in Omaha that looks identical to your second photo. I can't get it through my mind how someone thought that it would look better than the original stock. You did a good job of "un-bubba-ing" this one!

Thanks for posting up the photos!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

MN Fan wrote:Nice job on the SKS revamp. There is a SKS here in Omaha that looks identical to your second photo. I can't get it through my mind how someone thought that it would look better than the original stock. You did a good job of "un-bubba-ing" this one!

Thanks for posting up the photos!
The Chinese bubba'd these for the American market. IIRC you can thank Bill Clinton for the wierd thumbhole stocks. It might have been G Bush the elder, I can't remember the date exactly.

C. S. Lewis
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Yeah, the last configuration has the look. Any day that Bubba is reversed is a good day!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Much improved!

I think I have an extra proper Chinese Paratrooper bayonet somewhere.... Let me look. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It was G Bush the elder, and I believe it was 1992-3 sometime. I have one of the Chinese Para sks's, but other than chopping the barrel down a bit they just added a plastic pistol grip to the regular stock and added that AK mag conversion. Be glad you don't have that, total piece of crap, drops the mags out every other round, but otherwise functions like any SKS.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Woodbeef

Post by Woodbeef »

Nice job of bubba-busting there GG.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Welcome aboard Anything you do/did to that SKS was an improvment. I've only actually seen about a dozen SKS's in the flesh and all were un-modified. As to your ex-sniper I read the OP after modification so I can't comment other than I agree with MillMan. If you want to look up something neat search the forums for a poster named dolk's 'Sten' project. under Collectabiles
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Drago

Post by Drago »

I love the look of that para, Greatguns. You did a wonderful job. Love the black on dark garnet. A keeper for sure!! Oh, leave the bayo in the black by all means!
Greatguns

Post by Greatguns »

Thanks Drago. Yeah, I decided to leave it and am also thinking about going ahead with bluing the bolt/carrier as well.
Drago

Post by Drago »

Greatguns wrote:Thanks Drago. Yeah, I decided to leave it and am also thinking about going ahead with bluing the bolt/carrier as well.
Man, that would look cool. Imagine having a matching Russian SKS, in the black, bolt and all with a black bayo in a nice matching red stock, sitting next to your China-girl there. I'd wall hangin' 'em if I had the pair. I'm SUPER partial to the all black look. I did a Russian one last year and was going to try and find a really light blond/amber laminate that was heavy BBQ'd with a black bayo, when I came across my blonde '54 Izhevsk. I killed a lot of birds (collector slots) with that Izhevsk purchase, saving me a ton of money.
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

Paratroopers are all Chinese unless someone had cut down a non chinese import. There was never a military production Paratrooper. Military SKS's were cut down for import to the US and labeled as "paratrooper".
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington