Very rare circumstance, but terrible none the less.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
avenger

Very rare circumstance, but terrible none the less.

Post by avenger »

Check this out...not too good.. :sad: Like i said..luckily its rare...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011 ... nt-kaboom/
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Very rare circumstance, but terrible none the less.

Post by millman »

I have seen that one before. :beek:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

March of 2011

Dolk
Drago

Post by Drago »

This is one reason I always wear safety glasses. How does one go about making that firearm servicable again? Just get another receiver?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Drago wrote:This is one reason I always wear safety glasses. How does one go about making that firearm servicable again? Just get another receiver?
Buy a new rifle. I doubt that one is worth the trouble of fixing. If you look at the photo of the break, it appears that the crack was there for some time. A close inspection would have seen it, I bet. Check your rifles over before you fire them, is the moral of this sad tale.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

I remember seeing that back in March.

The stock is also cracked. Mating another receiver to that barrel would be a ton of work. That rifle is now a parts gun or a wall hanger.

I think that's the only time I've ever seen or heard of a Mosin receiver or barrel failing catastrophically like that. These old things are strong.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
avenger

Post by avenger »

yeah..as long as you look good before firing it the first time you should be fine.... :mrgreen:
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

millman wrote:
Drago wrote:This is one reason I always wear safety glasses. How does one go about making that firearm servicable again? Just get another receiver?
Buy a new rifle. I doubt that one is worth the trouble of fixing. If you look at the photo of the break, it appears that the crack was there for some time. A close inspection would have seen it, I bet. Check your rifles over before you fire them, is the moral of this sad tale.

Yep I've seen this kind of thing repairing automobiles. You probably have as a machinist also. That was an existing break that finally finished breaking. It's been broken for a while and should have been found on an inspection. You can see where it was cracked all the way through to the outside. I've had to play detective many times over the years to nail down the reason for a part failure and that's the way they look. Dark on one side and clean fresh metal where it finished breaking. It's not only a matter of pride but the shops reputation is on the line in most cases. This time someone's life was on the line.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Years ago when I was manger a transmission shop a customer had the case split on an old GM trans , think it was a 350. An inspection showed a defect in the original cast that took twenty years to finally split and fail. I guess it just happens sometimes though on a Mosin receiver never seen that before.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

JB weld will fix that right up :lol:

Actually it is a great conversation piece now.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

That'll buff right out.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nope, to preserve the history, we can't alter it. I say shoot it as is :beek:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Just hold the bolt in place it'll be alright i swear. :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

All I think of is:shock:

Ya gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?~ Josey Wales
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Blast from the past :beek:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greatguns

Post by Greatguns »

Classic arms, among other places, have stripped MN receivers at reasonable prices so if you could do the work yourself you could make a serviceable rifle for not much money.($40+/-) The other side of it would be the fact that you could either a)keep it as is for a wall hanger and conversation piece or b)sell all the parts which would more than likely give you enough to go out and buy a refurbed M91/30 with all the accessories. Well, there is option c) just keep the parts as spares for your other MNs.
Chumlee Bumsnag

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

Ah just shim it up.