"hex" receiver versus round receiver

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rfd8w5

"hex" receiver versus round receiver

Post by rfd8w5 »

Just bought my first Mosin-Nagant a 91/30 with a round receiver. I was offered an upgrade to a 91/30 with a hex receiver, made before 1935. Is there any advantage as far as shootability is concerned. Any safer or more valuable. I fully intend on shooting mine so I'm not too concerned about the value. Any thoughts from long time shooters/ collectors. Thanks

Rich
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "hex" receiver versus round receiver

Post by Jumperwire »

There's not really much difference They stopped making the Hex receivers sometime around '36 , I believe to speed up productions. So basically they are older. :ugeek:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The shape of the receiver will not make any difference in how it shoots. To select for shooting, you look for the best bore and crown. The second thing to gauge shootability would be the trigger pull, which can vary greatly between rifles.

There is some conversation on different forums about Hex vs Round for the strength of the receiver, but that is just not a real issue. The hex receivers are also the pre-WWII guns and generally look better, as much more effort was put into cosmetics when the Soviets were not having to fight for their lives. The round recievers took less machining and could be turned out faster. Either rifle is as solid as an anvil, and if the headspace is correct will be safe to shoot for generation. I shot two boxes of ammo through one that was 126 years old yesterday.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Just a different variety not really an upgrade but in all fairness you should buy a hex to go along with the round and then you could decide for yourself which is better to you. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

The hexes are getting harder to find now, so it might be nice to grab one while you can... and still keep the round receiver 91/30 :D
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I haven't found a hex receiver yet...and want one pretty bad now lol. In my case, a hex is worth a bit more, or at least I personally would pay a bit more to buy one. But, overall, it seems like their isn't a significant difference in value from a hex or a round receiver.
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

Every milsurp seller I know of charges at least ten bucks extra for a hex receiver Mosin. I don't know if they are rarer, or if they are just in more demand. They are definitely older, and to me, they are more nicely made.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

mosinjunkie wrote:Every milsurp seller I know of charges at least ten bucks extra for a hex receiver Mosin. I don't know if they are rarer, or if they are just in more demand. They are definitely older, and to me, they are more nicely made.
I was collecting them pretty regularly, but realized that I was finding Finn's for a few dollars more. Not hard to decide on that one. A 1928 exDragoon or a Finnish M91 :brolleyes: :brolleyes: :brolleyes:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

If you are going to collect, eventually you will eventually get a hex as some variants were not made with round receivers. Some 'hex receivers were used when round were the norm and as a result they are a bit of a find. As to 91/30's the original idea was to go to a round receiver but there were too many hex receiver ready to be used to just scrap so there were used. Once production caught up the round receivers became the norm. If you want to see the difference in finish, check out a early 30's production rifle, a late 30's and a war time. All three will shoot (and the War Time production may surprise you) but the finish will really open your eyes.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

You need both, I know I do.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i just like the looks of the hex's better and that is what i try to buybut i do have 2 round ones a laminated 43 Izhevsk and a pu sniper that is also a 43 Izhevsk
crwjr

Post by crwjr »

I have both styles and love shooting each one of them :D :D Hope this helps :lol: :lol: :toast:
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Sometimes when I am looking at a rifle that makes me drool I almost forget to check if it is hex or round.

Ya gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?~ Josey Wales
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I have a question.
Why do we call it a hex when really it's an octagon?
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Take a hex and a round receiver, flip them over and look at them only from the bottom, they look the same, this is because they are the same except for cosmetic appearance. There are several types of round receiver as well, high and low wall, wartime beaver chewed, and so on. The hex is one way of ensuring you get an older rifle made before the war if that is what you want, otherwise it's just another excuse for the sellers to shove it up your ass price wise, once upon a time they could care less what receiver type they sent you until someone told them they could make money overcharging for the hexes.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

pacanis wrote:I have a question.
Why do we call it a hex when really it's an octagon?
Because hex receiver sounds cooler and is easier to say than octa receiver? Or octagon receiver? :) Since I can't seem to find one around here ( :roll: ), I have never seen one in person. From the numerous photographs I have seen, it always appears that the width of the slanty faces are a bit wider than the width of the top face. It may just be camera angles or my old eyes, but they don't appear to be equal length. I am probably wrong, but if that's the case, they aren't even true octagons, but more of a "chamfered square receiver" :mrgreen:

Can someone measure one sometime?
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Yeah? Well they didn't call those old repeaters hex barreled... :lol:
Maybe Ivan (or more likely Bubba) couldn't count and the name just stuck.
Greatguns

Post by Greatguns »

Well, if you really want to get picky, it's not an octagon barrel either. It is four sided on top and round-ish on the bottom. If they split the bottom rounded side into two parts(separated by the action screw mount/hole) then that would indeed make it a 'Hex' receiver. Just sayin' :lol: :roll: (yeah, I know, grasping at straws here)
Chumlee Bumsnag

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

I was wondering the same thing. ^ works for me.