Rather Hefty Selling Price - Wz.91/98/25 8mm

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: Rather Hefty Selling Price

Post by WeldonHunter »

martin08 wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:Does the Mag. repair look like it may have been done to stop a crack that started away from the pivot pin?
My suspicion is that the bottom side plates of the mag housing needed to be "let out" in order to accommodate the wider caliber of the 8mm round. The mag with the weld did not get the feed ramp widening like the one pictured in the comparison pics.
The reason I mentioned it is the one with the welds has a line going away from the weld that looked like the beginings of a crack is why. Where do you get these martin? You put us all to shame. Ok not "all" of us but most.
Greatguns

Re: Rather Hefty Selling Price - Wz.91/98/25 8mm

Post by Greatguns »

Martin I agree with you on the replace vs re-bored barrel. The step down looks classic Mauser barrel type set up and I couldn't see why they would re-mill the OD for that when it would only take up more time and money needlessly. One question though. I noticed the last step on the barrel of the second rifle looks like it protrudes out further than the first one. Is it longer or are they the same length with some of the other features being shorter(stock, etc.) to give the illusion of a longer barrel?
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

WeldonHunter wrote:
martin08 wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:Does the Mag. repair look like it may have been done to stop a crack that started away from the pivot pin?
My suspicion is that the bottom side plates of the mag housing needed to be "let out" in order to accommodate the wider caliber of the 8mm round. The mag with the weld did not get the feed ramp widening like the one pictured in the comparison pics.
The reason I mentioned it is the one with the welds has a line going away from the weld that looked like the beginings of a crack is why. Where do you get these martin? You put us all to shame. Ok not "all" of us but most.
Martin is the Grand Poobah of a Secret Society. Members pay him in rare rifles. :lol:
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Martin is the Grand Poobah of a Secret Society. Members pay him in rare rifles. :lol:

We're not worthy, we're not worthy..... :udaman:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Greatguns wrote:Martin I agree with you on the replace vs re-bored barrel. The step down looks classic Mauser barrel type set up and I couldn't see why they would re-mill the OD for that when it would only take up more time and money needlessly. One question though. I noticed the last step on the barrel of the second rifle looks like it protrudes out further than the first one. Is it longer or are they the same length with some of the other features being shorter(stock, etc.) to give the illusion of a longer barrel?

The barrels are the same length. As you can see by the translated links that I provided, no two stocks are the same on these. There are many different sling attachment variations, as well.

As to the overall rarity of these guns, I can't tell exactly how many are still here in the US. Judging from the cache research of the major gun forums, there are five or six of them posted on Gunboards, two or three on 7.62x54r.com, one on Parallax, and one in Latvia with the F.L.M.P.I. stamp. So including mine, there are about a dozen of them that have been posted - which generally means that there are many more of them that aren't visible on the public forums.

The first one, I picked up at a local gun shop a few days after seeing it a local small gunshow. I had no idea what it was - but for $90, I thought I'd take a chance. The next one was right from Gunbroker, just extremely poorly indexed. Only me and one other bidder, and he didn't drive me up too badly.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice rifle, but the seller would be holding his breath a long time before I drop three large on it. Good pics Martin, almost reminds me a bit of some of the things the Turks did to convert Enfields, and even Mosins to 8mm half assed Mauser's. Lot of work, but I suppose they had to do it until they could make their own Mauser's.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt