Markings on my '39 Izhevsk

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mikerb55

Markings on my '39 Izhevsk

Post by mikerb55 »

Merry Christmas and a soon to be Happy New Year to all on this forum. I finally got to spend some time with the M91/30 that my lovely wife got me for Chrsitmas. I broke it down yesterday and cleaned her up so I can go shooting this Wednesday. In the process, I tried to photograph every mark on could find. I'm sharing those photos in hopes of learning some of the history of this old gal. Any info will be greatly appreciated, as I know that most of you have a great amount of knowledge concerning these guns. After Wednesday, I'll let you know how she shoots. Here are the images;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Wayne as John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
tjtM38

Re: Markings on my '39 Izhevsk

Post by tjtM38 »

I'm no expert on all those markings, but there are a lot of resources online to find out. Looks like you have a typical, nice Izhevsk arsenal refurb M91/30. Clean her up good and enjoy the big bangs.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nice markings! The crest on the breach designates it was made in the Izhevsk arsenal. The stamp on image **0022 is simply the importers stamp and has no historical value. Your stock looks like a billboard...I love it :)

Thanks for posting up the photos. Good luck with your research!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The arrow in the triangle is a Izhevsk arsenal mark, the star on the barrel band is a Tula arsenal mark. Google: Mosin Nagant markings, then select the 7.62x54r forums and you can get a quick education on marks. Many marks are complete mysteries.

You got a great historical rifle for Christmas. Chances are it will be a better shooter than you are. Go out and buy a bunch of surplus ammo, and make sure you know the proper way to clean the rifle after shooting.

Enjoy!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That looks like a nice clean 39 you have there. It also looks like a wartime stock that could further jumperwires theory of the early ones being wartime. Very nice cartouches on the stock. 8-) 8-) :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I enjoyed looking at your pics. Great job and great rifle.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

What a great gift. :vcool: :vcool:

I got luggage.... I wonder if that's a hint or something?! :shock: :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"