Lyman Trade Rifle .50 Cal

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
tjtM38

Lyman Trade Rifle .50 Cal

Post by tjtM38 »

This is the only other black powder rifle I own. I bought this one in PA when I was stationed there in USAF. Flintlocks are used for hunting in PA during primitive season. I love the dark European walnut stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Re: Lyman Trade Rifle .50 Cal

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

:vcool: :vcool:

Very nice, the European walnut is some of the nicest in the world. We have a Black powder season down here also. My son got an 8 point last season his first with Black powder. Nice rifle :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Whoa! The Lymans are some nice firearms. This one is a 10!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Wow gorgeous!
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

How does it shoot round balls? I am looking at getting one but am concerned that the 1 in 48 twist is too fast for lead balls. Thanks!
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

The 1 in 48" works fine with round ball. It is an all around barrel and I have that twist in both my TC Renegade and the Lyman Trader Rifle. Both rifles shoot the round balls better than the conicals, sabot, or maxi-ball rounds. If you want one that works best with round ball, I recommend a Lyman Great Plains rifle with a 1 in 66" twist; that will be the MOST accurate with round ball. If you want to shoot the TC Maxi-ball or sabot conicals, a faster twist (1 in 28") is preferred.
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

Thanks. I like the looks and price of the trade rifle. I have read that the Lyman flintlocks, along with the Pedersoli's, are considered the best "production" flintlocks. I think I'll place that order for one from Dixie Gun Works. :)
entropy

Post by entropy »

BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL wood! :thumbsup: Is it flintlocks only for the PA primitive hunt, or percussion too. (Or wheellock, or matchlock?)

tjtM38 is correct that 1:66 is the best for round balls, and faster than 1:48 would be better for conicals. My Traditions Hawken has 1:48, and took a deer out at 125 yds. several years ago with a Buffalo Bore 385 gr. HBHP conical. I do get acceptable accuracy with round balls out to 100 yds. also.

I have a freind who has the Great Plains Rifle, and tried conicals, but went back to round balls, as they were more accurate.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

entropy wrote:BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL wood! :thumbsup: Is it flintlocks only for the PA primitive hunt, or percussion too. (Or wheellock, or matchlock?)

tjtM38 is correct that 1:66 is the best for round balls, and faster than 1:48 would be better for conicals. My Traditions Hawken has 1:48, and took a deer out at 125 yds. several years ago with a Buffalo Bore 385 gr. HBHP conical. I do get acceptable accuracy with round balls out to 100 yds. also.

I have a freind who has the Great Plains Rifle, and tried conicals, but went back to round balls, as they were more accurate.
At the time I lived in PA, it was muzzleloading flintlock ignition only with a patched round ball projectile and no scopes. I understand they have relaxed that standard to allow the conicals and sabots, but it is still flintlock ignition. The Lyman Rifles were recommended by Dixon Muzzleloading (Kempton, PA) as the salesman said that short of buying a custom rifle, the Lymans were the stongest with the hardest frizzens. If you get the Trade Rifle, you won't be disappointed. However, find you a source for BLACK POWDER. These rifles don't work well with Pyrodex and other substitute propellants, because ignition for the higher temperatures required to light the stuff off is just too tough for a flintlock. I use Goex FFG for the main charge and Goex FFFFG for the priming powder.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How many times have I heard someone say " flintlock? you can't hunt with them, too slow, you pull the trigger and they go woooooooooosh......Boom" Then we explore what kind of powder they have been using, and how much of it they are dumping in the pan. Black powder only, and only enough in the pan to reach the bottom of the touch hole.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

How's the trigger on your Trade rifle? I'm debating ordering the Trade rifle or the Great Plains Kit and I'm wondering if the set trigger on the GPR is worth the extra work. Thanks!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Set triggers are a marksman's tool, the Cadillac of triggers.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

iwuzwhatiwuz wrote:How's the trigger on your Trade rifle? I'm debating ordering the Trade rifle or the Great Plains Kit and I'm wondering if the set trigger on the GPR is worth the extra work. Thanks!
The trigger on the trade rifle is not a double set trigger, but it let's off clean and I like it. Don't think you would get that much more out of the double set trigger with the flintlock. The Trade Rifle is handier than the GPR; it's shorter and lighter, although it is still all steel, brass, and wood.
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

Well I ordered my Trade Rifle today. I can't wait to go make some smoke!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Rangerflip

Post by Rangerflip »

That is some nice wood on that rifle. :Drool1: :thumbsup:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

iwuzwhatiwuz wrote:Well I ordered my Trade Rifle today. I can't wait to go make some smoke!
Good deal! I look forward to seeing the pics. I'm very fortunate to have lived in eastern PA and experienced the fun of shooting and owning the Trade Rifle. I was able to go pick out the rifle with the wood I liked and get some great advice from the folks at Dixon muzzleloading about how to shoot a flintlock. My next trip to the range will be with this rifle. Nobody shoots flintlocks down here, so I will either get a lot of interest or a lot of laughs from the AR and AK folks.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I would like to see a range report on some of these black powder rifles. They look like fun.
We have met the enemy and he is us.