My first Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Celt

Re: My first Mosin Nagant

Post by Celt »

Well done!

:hubba: :hubba: :hubba:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

As folks mention in previous postings, it's a disease that is progressive...As I stated, I just bought my first 91/30 Mosin at a gun show a few months back..researched when I got home and then I was hooked at "hello" basically. About one month later I'm leaving the gun store with a 1940 Russian Capture Mauser, so I've become a rabid addict and student of these things very quickly...

My fiance is bewildered by my rabid obsession...I'm talking about buying "Spam Cans" of ammo, etc, etc, and she just looks at me like I've completely lost it! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."
Benjamin Franklin
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

bunkysdad wrote:That's a very nice looking 38 Tula. Hey where do you live in North Texas? I am in the Dallas area. You can find Mosins in stock at Cabelas in Allen, Tx often times. Also at Gander Mountain in Sherman, Tx.
I'm just north of dallas. No luck at the cabela's. but I only just started looking. Seeing it on their website is what kicked this off.
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

Forgot to mention something important. As I've stated, I've been into this whole thing for maybe 3 months now..Since then, I've picked up one 91/30, one RC Mauser, and last month I submitted my application for the R & C license...it takes hold of your soul pretty quick for sure!
Benjamin Franklin
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I'm hoping I can learn more about the markings etc, try and learn the history. There are markings all over this thing
Synack

Post by Synack »

DanBlue wrote:As folks mention in previous postings, it's a disease that is progressive...As I stated, I just bought my first 91/30 Mosin at a gun show a few months back..researched when I got home and then I was hooked at "hello" basically. About one month later I'm leaving the gun store with a 1940 Russian Capture Mauser, so I've become a rabid addict and student of these things very quickly...

My fiance is bewildered by my rabid obsession...I'm talking about buying "Spam Cans" of ammo, etc, etc, and she just looks at me like I've completely lost it! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, I can relate to this one... I'd plink occasionally at my dad's place with the same .22 I used when I was like 10 years old. Wasn't until I rediscovered my grandfathers Savage 1907 that I started to get the C&R itch...

Picked up my first M91/30 in December (naturally right when it hits the fan). Then I picked up a Nagant revolver (gotta have the matching officers sidearm, right?) Then I picked up a Tula M91/30 (if the first one was Izveshk you have to have a matching Tula...) And then I got to try a M44... Which led to a Type 53 impulse buy (Gotta have the folding bayonet!)

...This is a sickness...

So yea, since December, 4 milsurps, one spam can, quite a few additional packages of ammo, C&R license and NRA membership to boot... The wife is totally bewildered with the sudden obsession...
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

Indeed Synack! I've been itching like CRAZY to get a type 53 because I'm a big Vietnam War/political history buff interested the real history of Ho Chi Minh, his true intentions of simply wanting to have a free country and the Vietnam War.

Junk Yard Dog explained to me in a post yesterday that the crop of T53s currently in the stores across the US at present are of Albanian origin..(Sold by the Chinese to Albania) and were never in Vietnam....SO I learned from JYD I probably need to find a Vet bring back at some point if I want to be assured that it was involved in the War...that's just my personal preference for the historical value to me anyway...

As you, I plinked around as a kid, went dove hunting a few times with a .410, owned a couple of revolvers over the years...nothing special and just fell into this while at a gun show to pick up a new revolver for my fiance..just a basic 38 revolver and I was intrigued by the long table of ancient rifles there that a vendor (Eagle Arms in PA) had out..I asked Matt the sales guy which one I should get ( I had no clue what I was looking at) and he actually took the time to flip through a few and then he handed me a 1939 Tula!!! After I got home and did my research, I learned that he had done me a bit of a special favor...Consequently, I went to his store a month later and dropped about $500.00 on my Russian Capture Mauser K98...it does pay to be a kind merchant in this day and age..So my experience so far has been a great one!
Benjamin Franklin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

One summers day my '79 Dodge Omni decided to crack it's water pump housing ( again) and overheat, a pain in the ass as the car was still fairly late model, but something they were known for. As I sat there waiting for the engine to cool so I could fill the radiator, and contemplating my next automotive purchase I spied a sign on a tree 20 yards down the road that read Tag Sale, with an arrow pointing to a house with a great bunch of crap spread out on the lawn. Having nothing better to do at the moment I decided to wander over and see what they were selling in the way of tools. What I found were old Hi-Fi sets, baby clothes, pots and pans, and over by the house , leaning against a tree was this long dark shape. Heading over I realize it's some type of rifle, obviously a bolt action, but I have never seen the like before. Heavy, dark wood to the muzzle, strange markings that sound German, all of a sudden I just had to have it. After the expected haggling session I paid the lady $40 and back to my car I went with my new.....something. Within 3 days an old timer identified it as a Swiss rifle, didn't recall what kind, and pointed out that it was some sort of huge rimfire. It was 15 years before I had the full story of the Swiss Vetterli, no internet back then, just books, and next to nothing about Swiss rifles. That one rifle has cost me a great deal of money as one let to the next, and the next..........
I still have it today, 1869/71 Swiss Vetterli by Sig
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

This collecting will cause an interesting effect. You can talk all day to a fellow milsurp enthusiast, those that don't share our enthusiasm will just stare blankly at you. Or ask questions like "why do you need another gun"?
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Simple answer, because I wanted one :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
James811

Post by James811 »

I agree with the other people on here addiction to Mosin collecting escalates quick. I got my first Mosin (1931 Tula 91/30) two months ago and have a bad case of Mosinitis. My second Mosin (1944 Finnish M39 with 1897 tang) will be delivered to my FFL Monday and I am already looking for my third. I am only 19 and I feel like I am going to have a warehouse of Mosin Nagant's by the time I am 30 at this rate!!! :chuckles:
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy if possible."
- Stonewall Jackson
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I had my second milsurp pretty quick, three years later :) No internet to make finding and buying they easy.
Theodore Roosevelt
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I did the headspace test with the Okie headspace gauges and it passed without a problem :).
I'll be checking the firing pin when i start taking it apart tomorrow to clean it
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

zedteamk2 wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:That's a very nice looking 38 Tula. Hey where do you live in North Texas? I am in the Dallas area. You can find Mosins in stock at Cabelas in Allen, Tx often times. Also at Gander Mountain in Sherman, Tx.
I'm just north of dallas. No luck at the cabela's. but I only just started looking. Seeing it on their website is what kicked this off.
Oh dang, more local competition. :big shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice find and welcome to the Forum.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I cleaned it up and checked the firing pin. So far everything is looking good.
Now i just need to find some time to go shoot.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Don't we all :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt