Can you identify this 7.62x54 ammo

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
RugerFan

Can you identify this 7.62x54 ammo

Post by RugerFan »

My brother picked me up this tin of ammo today. Just wondering if any of you might be able to identify where/when it was made?
He said he paid $130. Is that a fair price? (Might be hard to determine with just the attached picture.)
Also, and this may seem like a dumb question, but is the can opener pretty simple of figure out how to use? I've never bought a tin before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Can you identify this 7.62x54 ammo

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, it's either Russian, or Bulgarian, the two most common encountered today, I forget the spam can markings because mine are still sealed in the wood crates.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. This is Russian Factory 60/Lugansk made in the 80s, The picture has glare obscuring the part that tells the exact year but it's most likely 1982. $130 is a bit high but not to bad. Online prices are about $110 shipped give or take unless you catch a sale like our sponsor Cope's Distributing runs for $89.95+$9.95SH. Here's a video they did showing how to use the opener.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's the stuff I bought back before the current insanity, it's packed in the crate and stacked in the storage container and will stay there.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:That's the stuff I bought back before the current insanity, it's packed in the crate and stacked in the storage container and will stay there.
You talking about the "rusty tin" deal they had for $64.95+$9.95 shipping and the shipping was and still is $9.95 no matter how many you buy? That was a popular deal. That's close to what I pay per tin. If I didn't already have a crapload of it around here I'd have got some for sure.
RugerFan

Post by RugerFan »

Thanks for the reply guys. The video made it pretty clear how to get it open. Looking forward to getting to shoot my gun (a 1955 Chinese 53) outside. I've taken it to my indoor range a couple of times (shooting lead), but my outdoor range doesn't open until the end of the month. I'm having a blast (pun intended) with this gun, but it will be a lot more fun when I'm not paying $1.50 per round.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

paying $1.50 per round :shock: :beek: :shock:
RugerFan

Post by RugerFan »

Winchester 7.62x54 in a lead core/soft point is going for $30 per box of 20 at several of my area shops.
I did find a box of PPU lead core for $20, but that's the cheapest I've been able to find for indoor range shooting.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

.30 a round I might shoot, but if I am paying a buck a round it's going to be for USM2 ball and my Garands are going to the range.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

RugerFan wrote:Winchester 7.62x54 in a lead core/soft point is going for $30 per box of 20 at several of my area shops.
I did find a box of PPU lead core for $20, but that's the cheapest I've been able to find for indoor range shooting.
You may want to look through the list here. http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/7.62x54R Only the most expensive commercial ammo is $1.49 a round but there's a lot of stuff way cheaper including shipping you could shoot indoors like the Prvi Partizan.