First trip to the range

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Cwcoolcow

First trip to the range

Post by Cwcoolcow »

Friday was finally a nice day here on the North Shore. Had a chance to take my 1944 Model 38 to the range for the first time :-)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365376677.090363.jpg
Here are my 50 yd results
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365376773.456188.jpg
And my 100 yds
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365376800.608125.jpg
I don't use a shooting rest/sled so for me I was really happy with the way this carbine shoots. Here is the result of my final shot :-)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365377062.355123.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Celt

Re: First trip to the range

Post by Celt »

Congrats! Shooting off hand is something much different than bench resting. Nice shooting!
:thumbsup:
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Very nice job :)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Pretty good shooting :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks good :thumbsup: :vcool:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Good job! That range is a dead ringer for one I used to go to in Ohio. It was located here:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_re ... fault.aspx

Where is the range pictured?
Cwcoolcow

Post by Cwcoolcow »

Yep. That's the Grand River Wildlife Area public shooting range. I was the only one there Friday morning. :vcool: Do you know Range Officer Bob? He doesn't start until May :-)
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Cwcoolcow wrote:Yep. That's the Grand River Wildlife Area public shooting range. I was the only one there Friday morning. :vcool: Do you know Range Officer Bob? He doesn't start until May :-)
I believe so; those range guys were really good to me. I had to drive 40 miles north from Poland, Ohio (south of Youngstown) every time to go there. Loved every minute of it. You are correct; the range closed down during the deep winter. I can't remember the months of operation, but it is probably on the web site. Great facility and nice people.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Man, that is a nice looking range. Good looking benches. Nice targets too.
Sequim

Post by Sequim »

Cwcoolcow wrote:Friday was finally a nice day here on the North Shore. Had a chance to take my 1944 Model 38 to the range for the first time :-)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365376677.090363.jpg
Here are my 50 yd results
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365376773.456188.jpg
And my 100 yds
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365376800.608125.jpg
I don't use a shooting rest/sled so for me I was really happy with the way this carbine shoots. Here is the result of my final shot :-)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365377062.355123.jpg

What is all that green stuff on the ground at your range, we don't have that in Tucson......... :biggrin:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

:pointup:
Where are all the cactus? Best thing I remember about Tucson is all those really big cactus plants (Suguaro?). The worst thing I remeber is being there in July when it was so hot I couldn't touch the steering wheel of my rental car after it sat in the sun for three hours. That's a really sweet looking range there in Suguaro country. Is it a public range or private?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

At least they have some shade to shoot from, I been out that way and recall intense heat, like the oven door when you open it to check the cooking food and that wave of heat blasts you in the face.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

That is dam fine shooting at 100! Nice going. :thumbsup:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:At least they have some shade to shoot from, I been out that way and recall intense heat, like the oven door when you open it to check the cooking food and that wave of heat blasts you in the face.
But it's a "dry heat." ...(or so they say)...I don't care; when it's 120 degrees F, it is bloody hot! :big shock:
Sequim

Post by Sequim »

The range is owned and run by the county, open 8 to 5, Thurs thru Sun.
When it's hot you go at 8 and leave by 11. The best part is that it's only about
10 minutes from my house.
I was there last Thurs. and put 98 rounds through my 91/30, thankfully they
were low recoil training rounds or I would have ended up at the ER........ 8-)

Tucson has never been over 117, but when I lived in Phoenix metro area,
I can remember it hitting 122........ :shock:

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

98 regular rounds won't hurt you if you are properly shouldering that weapon. I routinely shoot 200-400 rounds in a variety of Mosins when I shoot up at my friends private range. Or did before ammo became so expensive.
Sequim

Post by Sequim »

My problem is the nerves that come out of the vertebrae in my neck are messed up.
If I shoot much of the light or heavy ball, then I suffer for a month. The low recoil
lets me do about a hundred rounds and it's time to go home. When I first got these rifles
years ago, I could shoot them all day.....OK, maybe shoot them a lot........ 8-)
But it's like everything else........can't hear, can't see.....can't shoot, can't pee..... :mrgreen:

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A literal pain in the neck, ouch .
Sequim

Post by Sequim »

Yup, low recoil ammo and a chicken pad on the butt plate.....it's a bitch gettin' old.... :vsad:

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

F***in arthritis has been flaring up in my left hand finger joints all week. Constant pain every time I flex the hand, to a lesser extent in my right hand also, springtime dampness, has replaced winter cold as the trigger.