Project pistol I just picked up

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Project pistol I just picked up

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The one I have in the pic above I bought from the estate of a Confederate reenactor, you can see it's been scratched and dinged up a bit, but still works fine, nothing loose. I had a hell of a time scrubbing all the crud out of it when I first had it apart.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I've got some slight pitting on the face of the hammer where it will hit the caps, have to wait and see if it'll give me any problems. Rifling is faint but still there.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Reenactors commonly do that with these, there are some who specialize in removing any modern markings from any BP weapon for the living history guys to use in their kits. These are not firearms under Fed law so it's legal to remove markings on them.. Nice piece, very popular with southern reenactors despite this model never having been made by the South during the war
We were kind of like the Finns, Jim. We didn't make them, but we sure ended up with a lot of them. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not this model, Colt never made a .44 on the Navy frame and the Southern made copy's were .36. Back then in 1851 .44 was an army caliber, and used on the big dragoon and Walker revolvers, both intended to be fired from horseback. It wasn't until the eve of the States War that Colt produced the 1860 Army model in .44, at last a holster pistol for field officers that could be easily carried on the belt and handled while on for and waving a sword around with the other hand. The Confederacy did produce several revolvers, the Spiller & Burr is brass frame, but that is not a Colt copy, the Dance in closer to the Colt Navy but lacks the shield on the sides of the frame over the caps and is a steel frame . This brass frame Pietta most resembles the Griswold and Gunnison revolver that was a copy of the 1851 Navy with a brass frame , but it was .36, not .44.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Well, here the critter is. Still a bit of tweaking to be done on it to get it where I'm entirely happy with it, but at least it's functional now. Hoping for the weather to take it out and "break it in" soon. :very mad: I tried to NOT make it look brand new, only single cold blue on the barrel to keep a sort of "holster wear" look to it, blued the cylinder darker. Man I love the lemon oil for wood!

Celt

Post by Celt »

:thumbsup:

:ani-pop: :ani-pop:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Good job Mogunner.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Looks great :thumbsup:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Hey mo, did you get to shoot this thing yet :)
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Yeah, shot it once last Sunday. I'm going to have to machine a shim to go in between the cylinder arbor and the frame, when the barrel wedge slot lines up correctly I can still turn the arbor about 1/8 turn before it's tight in the frame, not sure if the threads stretched in the brass or what. It was nice and tight before I shot it then you could wiggle the entire barrel and cylinder a tiny bit afterwards. I'm not all that familiar with these critters so figured it best to be cautious and take care of the "slop" before shooting it any more. We shot my buddy's identical one, I have to say I'm not really a big fan of them. The spent nipples fall into the action and lock the cylinder up pretty often is the biggest PITA, loading takes forever on these as well. Being able to remove the cylinder and load it on one of the fixtures available would be a lot nicer but the Navy model makes it too difficult to do like that. I may at some point buy the Army model with the easily removable cylinder, but I doubt it. I like my rifle but really not enthused with the pistols and revolvers overall. Maybe too many years shooting cartridge firearms I guess?
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Haha maybe its an aquired taste. I'm thinking about getting one of these from cabelas when they have it on sale now.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

Looks good mogunner! Im looking forward to getting my hands black this weekend. Does anybody know the name of the gentleman who sells cast bullets over on the castboolits forum? I found him once but can find him now. Thanks.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

iwuzwhatiwuz wrote:Looks good mogunner! Im looking forward to getting my hands black this weekend. Does anybody know the name of the gentleman who sells cast bullets over on the castboolits forum? I found him once but can find him now. Thanks.
What ya looking for? I just bought swaged Hornady balls for this one, but have a local guy cast up the conicals for my .50 rifle. We're shooting BP again this weekend, I just spent a couple of hours working on this one and got it fixed... the idiot had the cylinder arbor screwed out and must have boogered a thread a little, I measured everything and cleaned up the threads a bit and got it screwed back in where it SHOULD have been, locktited it and now everything freakin lines up where it should...the barrel wedge JUST goes in far enough for the spring hook to pop up on the other side of the barrel and now I have a gap between the cylinder and barrel where I didn't before, so I'll try shooting it again before making it a wallhanger. If the brute does ok, I'll invest in some new, QUALITY nipples for it... :thumbsup:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Let me know how it does. I just ordered me one frome cabela's :)
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

I found it. Forefathers casting over on the castboolit forum sells 500 balls for $41 shipped. Best deal I've found on lead balls. Glad you got it figured out, a lot of people suggest pinching the caps to prevent them jamming the works. On my Pietta the Remington #10 caps fit like a glove.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Did that, they still blew apart like the end of Elmer Fudd's shotgun...maybe some Treso nipples will help with that from what I read.

That's a decent enough price on the lead balls even if they are cast. My buddy keeps offering to cast some for me but I know him well enough that I just went and bought some instead of waiting on him, lol.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I was casting them, then I bought a couple of used Remingtons on GB and they came with eight boxes of Hornady ball , then someone gave me a coffee can full of more so the mold has been cold for a couple of years.
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Great find. Looks like a fun project gun. I would have dropped the $25 in a heartbeat, and I am really cheap. (retired and on ss). :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
entropy

Post by entropy »

You stole my old 1851 Navy from Skipper's room! :lol:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

It turned out to be worth all of $25, shot a few times and the threads pulled out of the frame for the cylinder pin. I'll save up and buy a steel Army model.