Another New 91/30 Hex & 3 hours of work

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Francqua

Another New 91/30 Hex & 3 hours of work

Post by Francqua »

I decided to break down and clean up the new 91/30 Hex...

After over 3 hours of work, a lot of rags, lemon oil for the wood, and hot water for the metal...
I have the end result. A beautiful 91/30!

I did a completed tear down; On the wood, I decided to play it safe and just use lemon oil to remove the 2 lbs of Cos.

On the metal, I did a quick basic wipe down on the exterior, followed by a detailed cleaning with Q-tips ; then a quick pass of the bore snake. I then proceeded to put every metal part in almost boiling water ( after a wipe down with a mild degreaser). Talk about getting the cos off! I proceeded to pour the same hot water down the chamber and barrel. Melted cos was pouring out the muzzle. Everything metal then proceeded to get a complete drying and bath in CLP. After everything cooled down I proceeded to do a complete cleaning of the chamber and bore with good ol' #9 (after drying the bore with a snake and patches). The #9 sat for a bit then I did a complete cleaning with both bore snake and cleaning rod and CLP. After a final pass with a dry patch; everything was reassembled. I took the bolt assembly apart...same cleaning procedure as the rest of the metal...and a quick pass with 400 grit on the parts, a CLP bath and wipe down, then reassembly.

The finished results are for your inspection. Did I miss anything or screw up something ?????
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Another New 91/30 Hex & 3 hours of work

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Looks like you have it done :thumbsup: You didn't need to 400 grit the parts, they are supposed to have a slightly dull patina, just like the rest of the communist world :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Very nice !!! Still have to do mine ! My one day off wasn't enough time with all the yard work here in southern Ga, it's springtime. Yours from Classic ?

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Very nice! All but the sanding. The rest was about the same way I do it. Good looking rifle!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Looks Great!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Francqua

Post by Francqua »

Mr. Rideandslidejim, and others,

Yep it was from Classic!
I was very impressed with the quality. I ended up with a bag of accessories as well and an extra set of ammo pouches! Works for me. I did find some touchup bluing / paint around the muzzle..it matches up to were the bayonet attaches. I guess that is to be expected.
Are some of the stocks laminated? It looks like there is a seam thru the butt of the stock. It is more evident when you pull the butt plate. They did a heck of a job..it looks like a dark line in the grain. Now to test fire this howitzer! Regarding the sanding: I did a light sanding on the internals of the bolt to improve function and remove the glaze of cos. The exterior of the bolt was barely touched...again to remove the glaze of cos to improve function. Now to find a rifle bag long enough to hold this pretty lady!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Looks nice. I've noticed that the newest batches of 9130's have much less damage to the stocks as they used to. I think the "repair" on the butt stock is normal - something about not being able to get planks wide enought to cut out the buttstock so they had to join two pieces. JYD knows for sure.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sometimes it was a stock blank issue, other times it was a crack issue. No they didn't smoke crack no matter how likely that seems from all the bullshit they used to spout off , the lower buttplate screw is a natural crack area on these rifle due to the large size of the screw and the corresponding hole in the stock for it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

An outstanding JOB!!!
Back in the "Crotch" in the '60's we use to take our "pieces" into the shower with us w/o the wood and used a toothbrush after we flushed the bore with a brass brush and Milspec borecleaner.
The stocks were treated with "Raw" linseed oil not "Boiled" as it was a No-No because you did not want sheen on the furniture on a combat piece, this applied to both the M-1 and M-14.
If you're ever in SC I've got some M-N waiting for your care & attention...
Francqua

Post by Francqua »

Good to know Joe.... I may take you up on that...if things get bad enough here in Oregon! At least I don't live in Connecticut!! It's time for the folks there to fight back. I understand the tragedy...but they over reacted. Enough of that....anyway....

Strangely enough...I really enjoyed the challenge of getting the worst pile of cos off that I have ever seen! I had a pile of rags and Q-tips at the end! I think the results came out better than I expected! You should see how clean the chamber is. Not a spec of cos anywhere. I am not expecting ANY sticky bolt issues. I am learning every time I touch one of the Mosins and every time I log in here.
Thanks folks...keep the feedback coming!
Francqua
A J

Post by A J »

Man, you can clean my rifles any day! :D Great work.

By coincidence, it takes me about 3 hours to completely clean a "new" 91/30. Also, I noticed Bud's is starting to carry hex receiver 91/30s again. They're about $150.00. Reviews range from glowing to slightly disappointed.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

IT takes me days to clean a rifle. I am never in a hurry. I have had some rifles on the bench for a week, and some were there an hour. :D
Francqua

Post by Francqua »

Hey folks,
This newest addition to the family came from Classic Firearms, with a whole bag of accessories! It was listed as Very Good to Excellent. I would say that is an accurate evaluation of what I received. Very happy with the purchase. I have to wait to test fire her...to darn busy! bugger! She was yelling out for me to clean her up! I couldn't wait any longer. The curiosity of what was under a pile of cos was killing me. Maybe I should start a Mosin cleaning service!

Francqua