Another New 91/30 Hex and a question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Francqua

Another New 91/30 Hex and a question

Post by Francqua »

I see that I'm not the only one with a new 91/30 Hex. This came in from Classic Firearms. Grats to rideandslidejim on his new Hex as well! I got the same dose of cos that he got! BURIED!

I had to go thru 3 or 4 rags just to see the serial numbers. I am VERY please with my purchase! All of my serial numbers match: barrel, bolt, mag bottom plate, and butt plate! The bluing appears to be 95% plus intact (from what I can see under the cos...ran out of rags). My FFL thought that it was possible that this rifle might never have been issued for use.

Anyway, this beauty is in very good shape (or better). It is a hex from 1935. What I don't know is what the " r " next to the 1935 means. For that matter I'd like to know more about the other markings on the barrel. ??? I am Very interested in learning more!!! What have I got here? It was the last 91/30 from the recent Classic Firearms sale. Is this rifle common or a bit more unique / rare? The stock is in great shape..other than some minor shipping scratches and marks. Curiosity is killing me...Got to post this with pics ..ASAP! Opinions and thoughts...especially on markings on barrel????
Newbie MN owner..I don't have a firm grasp on what I have. Manufacturer, etc.
With apologies for my gushing excitement and lack of proper knowledge!
Francqua
WeldonHunter

Re: Another New 91/30 Hex and a question

Post by WeldonHunter »

Looks nice. It's an Izhevsk factory made in 1935. The "r" next to the year is the soviets way of designating...wait for it... "year" The stock is a late war or post war stock. It's not a particularly rare rifle except for the fact it's Hex reciever which they made less of and are older then the round recievers. Also as far as what the dealer said about never being issued, well he was partially correct. It's a refurbished rifle that was never "re" issued. It was sent through the soviet refurb program and put in storage. All of the refurbished rifles are rifles that are made from rifles that were fully disassembled, parts seperated, checked/refurbished and reassembled. The barreled receievers are in the only thing original to the rifle in a lot of cases but they also changed the receivers if need be. When they reassembled the rifle they renumbered all the parts that have numbers to match the barrels number.

The stamp at the top of the receiver just before the barrel is the soviet crest. The triangle with the arrow in it is the Izhevsk Factory stamp.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

The г is the letter for year in Russian. A 1935 manufactured 91/30. It is a refurb as most are and the numbers are most likely force matched. They took these all apart and put them back together like new and renumbered the parts. Once there was that big war after this war horse was built there is a good chance it was issued and used. Welcome to the club and the Forum. :thumbsup:

Weldon beat me to it.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:The г is the letter for year in Russian. A 1935 manufactured 91/30. It is a refurb as most are and the numbers are most likely force matched. They took these all apart and put them back together like new and renumbered the parts. Once there was that big war after this war horse was built there is a good chance it was issued and used. Welcome to the club and the Forum. :thumbsup:

Weldon beat me to it.
Ha! It's usually me that posts after one of you guys. Like minds think the same. :D
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Very nice and Welcome to the group. Still haven't had any time to attack my "Grease" gun/rifle.

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

It may not be "rare". But a MN with a stock in this nice a condtion, that has not been refinished, is a ++ in my book. I would love to have that rifle in my collection. Nice find/luck of the draw on that purchase. And welcome.
You may also want to reference www.7.62x54r.net if you are interested in learning more on the markings, history, etc.
Cat
husker51

Post by husker51 »

The mosin wiki information page on Russian 1891/30 rifles, has the estimated production of 1935 Izhevsk rifles at 59, 470. That is a significantly lower production year for the M91/30. There is a chart there with data from Karl-Heinz Roebel. However, I did notice the the 1945 Izhevsk 91/30, is not accounted for there, and I know that it is a very low production m91/30. I have a 1935 tula. There were a few thousand more of those made that year. You have a very nice example of a 91/30 refurb! Congratulation! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
ekz13

Post by ekz13 »

nice one.. :mrgreen:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)