catridge won't extract

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Halfwatt

catridge won't extract

Post by Halfwatt »

I took my Molot M44 out today for the first time to the range. Shot my first round and could not extract the casing. Bolt was stuck closed so used a rubber mallet to open it. Casing extracted and proceeded to shot another round off, same thing bolt was locked shut. I tried it a third time and I had to use a mallet and cleaning rod to nock the casing out from the muzzle.

Now when I put a round in and extract it no problem, bolt is smooth, casing extracts. I am using russian surplus ammo from sportsman guide circa 1980.

Is the the casing expanding to a point where it won't eject? do I have bad ammo? All thoughts would be much appreciated.
apteryx

Re: catridge won't extract

Post by apteryx »

Could it be laquered ammo with a dirty chamber?
Halfwatt

Post by Halfwatt »

Its not lacquered, Its the steel surplus ammo in a spam can. I also cleaned the gun before I went shooting.
apteryx

Post by apteryx »

Could also be a headspace issue. Has that been checked?
Halfwatt

Post by Halfwatt »

Yes I bought a no go guage and the headspace is ok, bolt will not close with the no go gauge. Maybe I need another type of gauge?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

This sounds like sticky bolt. A thorough cleaning of the chamber is needed. Also check with a good light to see if there is no dried grease or cosmo in the chamber causing the issue. If needed clean with 20 guage bore brush and drill but not over drilling. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

desdem12 wrote:This sounds like sticky bolt. A thorough cleaning of the chamber is needed. Also check with a good light to see if there is no dried grease or cosmo in the chamber causing the issue. If needed clean with 20 guage bore brush and drill but not over drilling. :D
+1 here is JYD's answer from the info section.
"What he means is use a length of shotgun cleaning rod, not a shorter pistol rod :) stick a 20 gauge bore brush on the end of the rod, wrap it with OOOO size steel wool, soak the wool with bore solvent or JB bore paste and drill it into the chamber for a minute, do not go into the rifling. This will clean out the crud stuck to the chamber walls, repeat as necessary."
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Halfwatt

Post by Halfwatt »

I will try cleaning again. The funny thing is when I put a round in and then extract that round the bolt is smooth and the round extracts. But I see what your saying I could have something gummed up in the chamber. I will try the 20 gauge bore
Halfwatt

Post by Halfwatt »

millman wrote:
desdem12 wrote:This sounds like sticky bolt. A thorough cleaning of the chamber is needed. Also check with a good light to see if there is no dried grease or cosmo in the chamber causing the issue. If needed clean with 20 guage bore brush and drill but not over drilling. :D
+1 here is JYD's answer from the info section.
"What he means is use a length of shotgun cleaning rod, not a shorter pistol rod :) stick a 20 gauge bore brush on the end of the rod, wrap it with OOOO size steel wool, soak the wool with bore solvent or JB bore paste and drill it into the chamber for a minute, do not go into the rifling. This will clean out the crud stuck to the chamber walls, repeat as necessary."

thanks to the both of you! I will try it
Sequim

Post by Sequim »

Which would be better, a bronze or a stainless steel bore brush??

Even duct tape can't fix stupid .... but it can muffle the sound!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Bronze or brass :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sequim wrote:Which would be better, a bronze or a stainless steel bore brush??

Never use a stainless steel brush as this will only accelerate wear. Copper type brushes only.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sequim

Post by Sequim »

OK, thanks.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid .... but it can muffle the sound!