Question on J&G ammo

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Francqua

Question on J&G ammo

Post by Francqua »

I was looking at J & G for 7.62 x 54R ammo..

I noticed that on the tins of ammo they note that the ammo is magnetic! My questions are...How can the steel core be magnetic? ( I have NEVER seen that before ! Leftovers from Chernoble power plant ? LOL ) Wouldn't the magnetic properties have an impact on the POI ? We are talking about steel barrels here aren't we? Would there be worse fouling?
mogunner

Re: Question on J&G ammo

Post by mogunner »

What it means is that a magnet will stick to the steel core, not that you can stick the ammo all over your fridge... :thumbsup:
Francqua

Post by Francqua »

Damn ! I was planning on stashing some ammo on the sides and back of the frig ! crap...got to figure a plan "B"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can stash ammo on top of the ice box if you want, the steel cores are just regular steel, they are not magnets, steel, regular steel, is attracted to magnets, brass, copper and staineless steelo are not, neither is aluminium. When you want to know if ammo has a steel core you run a magnet over it, if the bullet sticks to the magnet then you know the core is steel, if it doesn't then the core is lead, another metal that is not attracted to a magnet. Ammo is heavy, a couple of cases are very heavy, the ice box is not intended to hold up heavy weights.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
FINNADDICT

Post by FINNADDICT »

The former Soviet Union and it's Satellites used steel core simply because it is more abundant than lead. In addition to that, it gives the bullet a "Mild Armor Piercing" ability but is not considered AP here in the US. Some ranges do not allow the steel core ammo so be sure what you can use before you buy it, go to the range and get turned back because your ammo has steel in it.
TO WIN YOU NEED A FINN
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They used it because it was cheap, and cheap always appealed to the commie rat finks. Steel cores can spark fires, I know this becasue I have done it. Had sparks from a steel core hitting an old oil drum I was using as a target stand send sparks into a pile of old paper targets I had heaped near the stand, sent it right up while I watched through the spotting scope. Surprised the hell out of me, my range is rock and sand, very little to burn, but I now keep jugs of water handy just in case.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
FINNADDICT

Post by FINNADDICT »

+1

Yeah, Iforgot to mention the cheap part about it.
TO WIN YOU NEED A FINN
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not all commie ammo is steel core, the Yugo brass case I bought ten years ago was lead core, real nice stuff that you can only get today if you buy a box of Privi commercial new ammo. I found several hundred rounds of it out in the storage locker last weekend, that made my day.
Theodore Roosevelt