M91/30 Izhevsk 1934 Hex

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
avenger

M91/30 Izhevsk 1934 Hex

Post by avenger »

Hello, My name is John and i am 19. I havent been collecting long, But always wanted a cool rifle that had some history behind it(i do have a .22LR as well).I walked into the gun shop just looking, and spotted some mosins. I knew they existed but didnt know much about them. The price for a cool piece of history was within my grasp. So i went home that night and looked up a ton about them. It pursuaded me to buy one, which is, my M91/30 that i picked up a week ago. I have a 1934 Izhevsk With a Hex Receiver, Numbers matching, and all that good stuff. The bore looks clean and good and is not counterbored. It shoots very well, just a little high...Im thinking about putting a tiny little piece of black shrink tube on the front sight to help with that..anyhow here are some pics of my Izhevsk.

-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
desdem12

Re: M91/30 Izhevsk 1934 Hex

Post by desdem12 »

Pretty one. :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Sharp Soviet Crest, nice rifle your off to a good start. Check out some of the documentaries on the History or Military channel if you get it, you can see your rifle in use and witness the same history it made.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Sweet rifle!

So what does that make now? Let's see...hmmm, I come up with EVERYONE has a hex receiver but me?

Thanks for the photos! Nice one!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I only have 2 myself but they are good ones. They are rare up here. I have a 28 Izhevsk ex dragoon and a tula hex laminate. :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Thanks for all the pictures. Great looking hex.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

19 & already a Mosin owner and gun enthusiast who likes the history behind the Mosin. It took me 45 years to get there. Great rifle John and nice to have you on the forum. A lot of people would have no idea who Vasili Zaitzev is but you sure do. Very cool.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

:D :D :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum John, looks like you got a fine start to the collection there :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: The 1934 Izhevsk 91/30 was my first 91/30, the first of many. Back then Finn capture rifles were the only Mosins around, saw it in a rack for $45 and figured what the hell, give it a try. It's always been a good shooter.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Welcome to the forum John, looks like you got a fine start to the collection there :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: The 1934 Izhevsk 91/30 was my first 91/30, the first of many. Back then Finn capture rifles were the only Mosins around, saw it in a rack for $45 and figured what the hell, give it a try. It's always been a good shooter.
I wish they were still $45 each! 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
avenger

Post by avenger »

Thanks Guys! :mrgreen:
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i wish i had bought a crate when they were $25 each . but i am trying to make up for it now before they go up more. nice first rifle.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

dou44 wrote:i wish i had bought a crate when they were $25 each . but i am trying to make up for it now before they go up more. nice first rifle.
lol, I heard that!
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

That's a nice 1934 you got there, it's in the correct early Izhevsk stock too. :vcool:
bunkysdad wrote:19 & already a Mosin owner and gun enthusiast who likes the history behind the Mosin. It took me 45 years to get there. Great rifle John and nice to have you on the forum. A lot of people would have no idea who Vasili Zaitzev is but you sure do. Very cool.
I got that beat, I got my first mosin when I was 14 :beek:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Longview

Post by Longview »

Welcome aboard! Beautiful rifle!!
~Longview
"You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy." - Eric Hoffer
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, $25 would be what my friend with the gun shop was paying back then. He needed to make something on them to pay for all the air we used up standing around all day bullshitting as we waited like vultures on a corpse for the next gun to walk in the door. I should have bought more also, but at the time I was grabbing every US milsurp I could find.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mmkkpro

Post by mmkkpro »

Nice rifle,I just got a1934 Izhevsh the bolt is a straight handle but the bolt handle is flat on top and bottom with a waffle pattern looks factory done,been trying to find info on this bolt not much luck so far,thats a fine one you have,these can become a passion very quickly ,its history in your hands,I often wonder if one of mine saw combat,nice shooters too,enjoy.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rongo wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Welcome to the forum John, looks like you got a fine start to the collection there :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: The 1934 Izhevsk 91/30 was my first 91/30, the first of many. Back then Finn capture rifles were the only Mosins around, saw it in a rack for $45 and figured what the hell, give it a try. It's always been a good shooter.
I wish they were still $45 each! 8-)
My first Mosin was a type 53, and it was free :biggrin:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mmkkpro wrote:Nice rifle,I just got a1934 Izhevsh the bolt is a straight handle but the bolt handle is flat on top and bottom with a waffle pattern looks factory done,been trying to find info on this bolt not much luck so far,thats a fine one you have,these can become a passion very quickly ,its history in your hands,I often wonder if one of mine saw combat,nice shooters too,enjoy.
It's something that was done to the rifle by a non military owner, that style is civilian commercial, not something the Soviets or their allies would have done. The Russians had a specific way of working the bolt that required it to be nice and round.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice first Mosin and welcome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It took me a while for my first Hex but it was on my check list. One thing for sure, hanging around here will DEFINATELY help you in setting your goals for future acquisitions and then you find out that the varieties are endless.