Important Mosin Safe Note

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zeebill

Important Mosin Safe Note

Post by zeebill »

Hope the header doesn't screw some people up but that is a blatant attempt to look like I am staying on the subjrct when I actually am not. Many good quality gun safes (Heritage for one which I have) offer a key to lock the tumbler from turning when the combination is actually in the open and combination done position. This will actually lock the safe with only the key and if you are lazy and don't care about your guns you will not have to do the combination and only open the safe with the key. Recently while at another collectors house he could not find his key and I tried mine in his safe. It came right open with no trouble! Matter of fact my key which opens all my safes also opens all his safes two of which are not Heritage made safes. So the gist of the story is don't count on just turning the keys and not doing the combinations to keep your safes locked and your guns safe and secure.

Oh and another good safe habit is to always check the wheel that opens the safe after you have shut the door and locked it and spun the tumbler. It sometimes takes two tries on the safe doors to get them to lock the way they should, this is especially true in the cold Winter air. I hope no one learns this the hard way that is why I am passing it on to my Mosin Friends! Bill :o
Three_Dogs

Re: Important Mosin Safe Note

Post by Three_Dogs »

Thanks for the info. Kind of like most handcuff keys are the same and most heavy construction equipment uses the same few keys. Or at least the did up till a few years ago.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Exactly!!!!! Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

To give you an idea of what can result I opened all 4 of my buddies safes with just the key! Like I said two of his were from a different maker and not Heritage like I have. I teased the heck out of him and he promises to change his ways. Bill :o
Rangerflip

Post by Rangerflip »

Good info, thanks for posting. :thumbsup:
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Glad my safe just has the dial. Good point you have Bill, any joe that knew anything on safe could get a key, and open whatever safe they came across that are built that way. That is a scary thought indeed.

I know with my dial I have had a habit of shutting the safe, latching it, and not spinning my dial to lock it.
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Joe I found one of mine open this AM and I believe that is what I did. :oops: Bill
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Wow! That is good to know. I guess I will be a little more careful from now on after hearing that :big shock:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Having been trained as a locksmith, I can say you'd be surprised how often stuff like this happens. It happens with cars quite a bit as well. Even the lock on you front door has a good chance of matching your neighbors. Companies get lazy and try to find ways of saving time and money.
Sequim

Post by Sequim »

Back in the 1990s, the keys for my 1992 Voyager minivan would work in my friends 1991
Caravan minivan, but his keys wouldn't work in mine......go figure.... :lol:

Even duct tape can't fix stupid .... but it can muffle the sound!
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

zeebill wrote:Joe I found one of mine open this AM and I believe that is what I did. :oops: Bill
And you thought you were the only one that did stuff like that didn't you? :lol:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.