First M39 - 1941 Sako

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bcposton

First M39 - 1941 Sako

Post by bcposton »

Hello all

Received a call yesterday - buddy had found this 1941 Sako M39 at a GS wondering if I would be interested in it. Price was $200 delivered and mine, I jumped on it without even seeing or knowing much of anything about the gun. When he brought it to me I was of course jumping with excitement, with all the hype around here about how great M39s are. I was not disappointed - the feel and the trigger compared to my Soviet 91-30s is like a whole different animal.

But I do have concerns that hopefully you guys can shed some light on. 1) The stock is very smooth and seems like it may have been refinished - obviously I hope not but can you tell from the pictures? This is the first Finn of any kind I have handled. 2) Bore is less than minty but shows promise with cleaning. Also there is light pitting and darkness on the bolt, is this normal for these? 3) I know the receiver is OLD - the Finns scrubbed some Soviet marking but there is no tang date that I can see :vsad: Any other ways to identify receiver make and age? 4) I know for a fact that something is not quite right with the buttplate - I am thinking the Finns did not use Phillips head screws. Is there a source for correct stuff?

Enjoy and thanks for looking.

joe7170

Re: First M39 - 1941 Sako

Post by joe7170 »

Nice looking rifle!! I don't have all the answers, I'm sure someone else will add....

The stock does look a bit light, but I have seen a few M39's with a lighter finish, it's all in how the pine tar soaked into the wood. I'm thinking someone may have cleaned it up, and in the process removed some of the pine tar. The sanding marks are normal for a M39 though. I can't tell by your pics, but does the stock splice have the rounded fingers?? If so it would be a war time stock.

As for the Phillips screw, it definitely is not Finn, I'd look around and see if I could find a Finn screw to replace it with.
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

What a deal of the century. Excellent STEAL. The stock looks like It has sharp edges and looks unsanded to me. There are lighter colored stocks. Bolt looks fine from what I can see and of course the screw is wrong. Nice no see um buy. I am sure if you look around at numrich sarco and gb you will find a screw for this.
:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Here is some comparison m39s for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I agree you got a great deal. Nothing I see about the stock looks re-finished. Way to go.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

I see Liberty Tree has the set of 2 buttplate screws, but shows to be for the 91/30. Would those be correct or did the Finns have a special screw? Definitely more correct than the Phillips head screws in there right now.

Also the plate seems narrow for the stock. Again is this normal?

Thanks again all for the advice!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The patina on the screw matched the buttplate, it looks like it fits properly, who is to say it is not Finn? They were known for variations. That is a nice M39 :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

bcposton wrote:I see Liberty Tree has the set of 2 buttplate screws, but shows to be for the 91/30. Would those be correct or did the Finns have a special screw? Definitely more correct than the Phillips head screws in there right now.

Also the plate seems narrow for the stock. Again is this normal?

Thanks again all for the advice!
The screws are the same. Yes, sometimes the plate is a bit narrower, than the stock, just the way it is.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The patina on the screw matched the buttplate, it looks like it fits properly, who is to say it is not Finn? They were known for variations. That is a nice M39 :)
Pretty sure the phillips screw is a American invention....
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

Is it true that the Chatellerault mark is a P in a circle? If so then I may have at least figured out the make of my receiver.... Will post a pic if this is a possibility.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

bcposton wrote:Is it true that the Chatellerault mark is a P in a circle? If so then I may have at least figured out the make of my receiver.... Will post a pic if this is a possibility.
Look like this??

bcposton

Post by bcposton »

Here are fresh up close pics of the receiver:

Left side tang

Right side tang

Bottom center receiver

These help??? Now to try to determine the year, if possible. Bottom side of tang is completely bare....
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

bcposton wrote:Here are fresh up close pics of the receiver:

Left side tang

Right side tang

Bottom center receiver

These help??? Now to try to determine the year, if possible. Bottom side of tang is completely bare....
Yep, it's a Chatellerault!

They were only made 1893-95 I think so it's is a narrow window.
timlin33

Post by timlin33 »

Nice! The stock looks a lot like mine which is a post war stock - so my stock's not as old as the barrel and receiver. Your's might be the same. You will love shooting it - very accurate and lots of fun. Enjoy!
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Mine is pretty close to yours in serial number.

That is a very good find for that price. An excellant rifle! Congratulations! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I think it looks like a "transition" stock and it would be lighter in colour and have that surface look, if it is. Also I agree with JYD, as to who knows what the Finns may have done. I'll bet the bore cleans up ASSuming it was cared for properly after it left the Finns. The other thing is IMHO :2cents: ,you got the rifle for 1/2 price :big shock: :thumbsup: . That is easily (today & tomorrow) a $400.00 rifle. :shifty:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
FINNADDICT

Post by FINNADDICT »

Nice M39. The stock does not look refurbished to me either. I just made some pine tar last night to blend and protect in a scratch I accidently got on my M39. I'd leave that stock the way it is.
TO WIN YOU NEED A FINN
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

Husker, yes very close to yours. I only wish that mine had that cool extra mark on it :beek: :beek: :beek: oh well. It is really a relief you guys feel good about the stock, I was sweatin that.

As for the bore it is already cleaning up nice - had to work through some nasty, greasy, gritty black and brown crud that was left in there. And the crown is much nicer than anything I have seen so far on Soviet guns. I am not sure what happened with the exterior metal - much of what appears to be bluing seems more like a tacky black paint. This has came off in some areas like the end of the barrel where cleaning solution has touched it leaving the metal just about in the white. Seems like this stuff is on most of the above the wood metal surfaces. Should I try to remove this stuff or is it supposed to be there?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

joe7170 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:The patina on the screw matched the buttplate, it looks like it fits properly, who is to say it is not Finn? They were known for variations. That is a nice M39 :)
Pretty sure the phillips screw is a American invention....
Henry F. Phillips invented the idea in 1937, phillips head screws can be found in any country on the globe . The M39 was in Finnish service as a training rifle well into the early 1980's, often maintained at a unit level, it is very possible a screw was missplaced and they used what was on hand at the time that worked. You just never know with these rifles, if it's working I would leave it alone.

I have never seen any black paint on a Finniah rifle, that doesn't mean it has never been used, but it would be unusual, sounds like it's coming off on it's own anyway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

Nice M39.

OP- can you check the area of the recoil lug and see if there is a grease hole on the side of the receiver next to the lug? I've had a few Chattelerault receivers and I've noticed the very early ones with the grease hole are usually the ones that are not dated on the tang. They didn't date them until 1894 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2