CMP

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: CMP

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:D :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: PICS! :biggrin:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i just got my restored ww2 front seam helmet. i thought i would show it next to one of my german helmets to show the size difference. the us ww2 helmet is much bigger than the german or the viet nam style helmets that i first wore when i went into the army
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

thats cool.. so the one strap holds the shell to the helment and the other strap goes around your chin? right?

JB
dou44

Post by dou44 »

the leather strap in the front helps hold the liner and is also the chinstrap when worn with out the helmet shell .the strap on the back is for the helmet .up till the early 90's most solders did not use the chinstrap .after they started making you use it i got racked alot of times for having mine hooked on the helmet.when i did have it on i wore is loose on the chin.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

dou44 wrote:the leather strap in the front helps hold the liner and is also the chinstrap when worn with out the helmet shell .the strap on the back is for the helmet .up till the early 90's most solders did not use the chinstrap .after they started making you use it i got racked alot of times for having mine hooked on the helmet.when i did have it on i wore is loose on the chin.
Cool.. I'm going to get me one... I'm bidding on a ww2 web belt right now.. Thought it would look cool with my 2 m1 carbine mag pouches on it, but the set won't be complete with out the helment. :thumbsup:
dou44

Post by dou44 »

still acouple of good deals on ebay
optikalillushun

Post by optikalillushun »

I have been lookin at this site quite regularly. I really want an M1 but cant spend the cash unless i get a job then it'll be a present. Anyway, so u cant use commerical ammo in them without some kind of gas screw? I dont quite udnerstand i seen it mentioned before on guns like the SVT40 as well. If this isnt on topic then ill make another one.

For the price of a service grade that seems like a good deal. I wanna be like little john or caje from combat! and have an M1.
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The rifle's gas system is regulated for the exact US M2 ball load Uncle Sam issued with it, some commercial loads can be more powerfull, and batter the op rod and bolt. A simple two minute gas cylinder screw swap will take care of it and yo can shoot whatever you like. This is a problem for many semi autos when being shot with other new ammo, SVT40, Fn FAL, Hakim, just to name a few, this is why gas systems can be adjusted on these rifles.
Theodore Roosevelt
optikalillushun

Post by optikalillushun »

Thanks for the quick but thorough explanation. I really want me one of them M1s...
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Problem is there are maybe a million people saying that exact thing right now and there are only maybe 2000 M1's to go around :) Don't wait forever.
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

dou44 wrote:... most solders did not use the chinstrap...
There was some bad information about how the helmets would capture gas blow back and cause injury or death if the strap was attached. Some people even claimed you could be decapitated by your own helmet.

Why the military let those rumors persist so long is a mystery. I understand how they started. You have a bunch of inexperienced boys already afraid for their lives trying to figure out what the hell else might kill them, and a seemingly plausible rumor starts. But why it wasn't debunked is stupifying.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I once asked a Vet about that, and he didn't know what I was talking about. He said he never used the chin strap, it chaffed and he might need to whip off his helmet and smash in some Jerry's face with it. The helmet is heavy, it would do some damage
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Problem is there are maybe a million people saying that exact thing right now and there are only maybe 2000 M1's to go around :) Don't wait forever.
I ordered my Garand about a month and a half ago. Patiently waiting... My brother reminds me constantly that he advised me to get one many years ago, but I kept putting it off. Man, it's not easy being a dummy! :)
A J

Post by A J »

dou44 wrote:the leather strap in the front helps hold the liner and is also the chinstrap when worn with out the helmet shell .the strap on the back is for the helmet .up till the early 90's most solders did not use the chinstrap .after they started making you use it i got racked alot of times for having mine hooked on the helmet.when i did have it on i wore is loose on the chin.
You're right. When I first joined the U.S. Army back in the early 80's nobody used the chin strap on the old steel pots. Nowadays, you'll never see a soldier with a chin strap unfastened.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

When CMP lists something as out of stock do they ever get more in? I was thinking about getting a service grade springfield but they're sold out now.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

from what i have read on the cmp forum they marked them sold out till they can get caught up.when i ordered mine 1 month ago they were over 500 rifles behind and orders still coming in.thet still have the h&r service grades listed
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

If I order one addressed to me, do I personally have to be home to sign for it? Or can my wife sign for it?

She's obviously an adult signature.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
A J

Post by A J »

mrb7 wrote:If I order one addressed to me, do I personally have to be home to sign for it? Or can my wife sign for it?

She's obviously an adult signature.
I've had stuff sent to me before and wasn't home. My wife signed for it without a problem. If neither of you are home, they'll leave a note and you simply pick it up at their location or have them attempt a second delivery.
A J

Post by A J »

Just received my M1 Garand yesterday and am VERY impressed. It's a service grade M1 that gauged 1 in the muzzle and 2 in the throat. The stock is brand spanking new and I think it's birch, but am not 100% sure. The tag says 1/55 so and the serial number begins with 55, so I think that's the date it was manufactured. The metal is virtually flawless and looks new. I see tiny evidence of pitting, but only under VERY close examination. The gas tube is a slightly different color as well. Other than that, it could be easily mistaken as new.

Tried to post photos, but I have zero patience with stupid error messages. Will try later.