First Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
fastbird

First Mosin

Post by fastbird »

Picked up my first Mosin Nagant a few days ago. A numbers matching 1942 M38 Izhevsk model. It looks to be in great shape. Found it locally for $175 which seemed like a good deal at current prices. I have a crate of Russian surplus ammo on the way and hope to do some shooting with this thing soon. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brewbrother

Re: First Mosin

Post by Brewbrother »

very nice. 1942 is my niche in collecting provided it is in 7.62.
Just lending a helping hand.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Is there a reason you removed the band springs and bands from the stock? I have a feeling I know.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
PXDon

Post by PXDon »

I'm curious as well...
fastbird

Post by fastbird »

Actually, the bands weren't on it when I got. I bought it just as pictured.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

It looks to have had the finish removed is why I asked. There are springs and bands available, try Liberty Tree Collectors , an advertiser above. Do not shoot it without the bands, you might just end up wearing it. Also before shooting it check the firing pin setting and the headspace. Somebody has had this rifle apart and what they did is unknown. Check out our main page for information on your new rifle...http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, somebody been at that stock, nice rifle otherwise, M38's are getting harder to find in any condition these days. It was a good price :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

Longcolt44 wrote:It looks to have had the finish removed is why I asked. There are springs and bands available, try Liberty Tree Collectors , an advertiser above. Do not shoot it without the bands, you might just end up wearing it. Also before shooting it check the firing pin setting and the headspace. Somebody has had this rifle apart and what they did is unknown. Check out our main page for information on your new rifle...http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com
^this..

But welcome - learn its history and it won't be your only one :thumbsup:

Liberty Tree is like a collectors toy store...
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Nice one and Liberty Tree is like Christmas year round. So many milsurps, so little time... :biggrin:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Welcome. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
son of a gun

Post by son of a gun »

Welcome to the club :alien:
It's all fun and games till' someone gets hurt... then it's hillarious!